What's new

American Idol Season 4 (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
It airs tonight at 8 on FOX. The auditions are usually funny to watch, but I honestly don't think I can watch a full season of this show again. Last years was not that great. It got so boring and it seems the only 'stars' that came out of AI are Clarkson and Aiken.

I also heard that they are changing the show up some by giving the singers an opportunity to pick the kind of music they want to sing...not just the typical kareoke and pop songs they have made them all sing in the past.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, IIRC it's going to be guys vs. gals, and they are going to make it an even split for the final 12, 6 guy and 6 girls, because last season had too many gals in the final 12.

Either way, Fox will milk this show for all its worth. I record the shows, and only watch the performances, which accounts for about 30 minues or less out of an hour length show.

The Wednesday elimination shows are awful in its padding as well.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Which is especially amusing, since Aiken wasn't officially a "winner". Poor Ruben... I almost feel bad for the guy.

I'm with you Lanie. I think I'll watch the auditions, but that's about it. Last season really did me in for this show. It was boring as hell, and the winner...well.. let's just say I didn't think Fantasia would be the one. :) (To show how memorable she is, I just had to go to the Idol site to look up her name.) :laugh:

That and if I have to sit though one more season of Ryan cutting to commercial every 4.5 minutes, I'll kick someone. ;)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Wow. Did anyone see that girl at the very end? There is nothing worse then a insane, manic-depressive girl that can't sing. It makes for hilarious television though. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Oh My Goodness! That last girl scared me so much. She was just beyond freaky. I really think she was hearing voices in her head.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
In high def and widescreen this season.....although I did not need the detail on some of the faces. Actually, Paula, Randy and even Simon looked better in 720p.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I know...I especially liked the blonde that walked away, then turned back SUDDENLY to sceam at the judges. I thought she was gonna lose it.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Like I told my wife, raising the age limit is going to turn this show around. I would not at all be surprised if the winner is over 24.

Chris

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
After that one guy who had the "5.9%" hankercheif on was told no, I turned to my husband and said, " He's off to have himself a drink". lol.

I really wish they would show more of the people who had good voices too. The bad auditions are good and all, but I still want to see more good singers.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
"But really... We're you being serious? You don't think I can sing? You just messing with me?"

Ryan

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

We'll have plenty of time to hear the "good" ones.....

When you see the "raw" talent on these shows, those sometimes seemingly lackluster finalists selected look stellar compared to the field :wink:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The guy in purple, where the judges were timing him was pretty funny. There were about 4 really LOL funny auditions, especially the judges reactions to them that makes it even funnier. I got a chuckle from McGrath telling that one girl that she was hot, but her singing was not. McGrath liked to catch Simon's eye when a hot girl (like the one with British parents) could sing enough to get a yellow ticket to Hollywood.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
So, Italian Politician is the new correct way of saying Mafia Boss? All I could picture is the commercial with Simon and Chazz Palminteri where Chazz has Simon say that Vanilla Coke tastes great. There had to be a big guy dressed in black with cue cards standing behind the kid who's father is a mayor in N.J.

...Baddabing

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm just here to see the train wreck and in this case it was that blonde girl with the red shirt. She was scary! Scary Mary...

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That's what makes the early part of the shows so great, these people for some reason really think they can sing. Scary Mary was just hilarious. The guy in purple, I have to give it to him, that was the longest aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyy
I ever heard:laugh:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
That girl who sang "Rescue Me" last night...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Though I did not sympathize AT ALL with the girl who sold her wedding ring. She was ok; pretty good voice...but karaoke is worth more than your wedding ring? Please.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have never watched this show before, managed to miss all the previous seasons- and while I was aware of it, I managed to escape being exposed. I was aware of the winners, simply because you can't escape the publicity-- but I never watched the process.

I just wondered one thing, is the show "staged?"

I just noticed that on tonight's show there was a blonde "farm girl" who showed up with capped and bleached teeth and an obvious nose job. They had "home video" of her working on the farm that obviously was shot with a professional CCD camera by a real camera operator (and where did they have come up with a bunch of home video of her carrying buckets on the farm anyway- did she really supply them with such unflattering video?)...

And when she opened her mouth, her singing style was exactly that same overly vibrato white-girl gospel thing that all the winners I've seen from American Idol seem to be known for. Of course she was selected with little discussion.

This girl seemed like the definition of a ringer.

If I was a shade more cynical, I'd bet she already has a deal with the production company behind idol... I'm betting we see her triumph over "adversity" of small town begininnings to take the title.

Has this been the norm for this show in the past, or is this something they're doing to insure a contestant pool that will attract viewers? I just wondered if they were that obvious about putting in fake contestants in previous seasons as this year?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

They've done this before. To me it seems more like "human interest" stories, ala the Olympics. These auditions started in August, so they've had plenty of time to decide who to focus on and film the pieces.

Chris

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The real ringers are the bad singers. Considering there are a couple local American Idol auditions done before they get to the point where they audition again in front of Simon, Paula and Randy, the fact that completely talentless and homely people get to perform is nothing short of fraudulent. Each season, I'll usually tune out the first month and wait until there are actually performances, but it'll be harder to do it this season since I love anything new in high-def.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks