What's new

American Horror Story: Hotel (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I like some elements of this ep better and some worse. Still think the gore is too over the top. It takes me out of teh story and breakes the mood. Finn was great, but I really thought Evan could not handle his character at all. He seemed to be indicating more than inhabiting the period aspects of his character. Liking it (except for teh gore) but not loving it yet.

I agree about the man bun (and I hated the beard as well.)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Started to get thru the second episode and I just seem to not be able to...far to many things happening at once. Not sure if it will hold my attention. I really liked Freaks, but I guess the producers wanted to try, "And now for something completely different!"

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding this VERY derivative. Marsh is basically a very loose reworking of the first US serial killer, HH Holmes. The whole scene with Wes and Sarah in the hotel bar smacked of The Shining. The sex and violence is gratuitous and rarely advances the story. Hopefully soon things will start tying together with the other seasons, assuming that they have that already planned out and won't "work backwards" to connect the stories.

Am I mistaken, or is this the final season?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EricSchulz said:
The creators recently announced they're planning for another season. I'm not sure FX has committed, but the ratings are still good so I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Each of the last 2 seasons has become the highest rated, so I don't think we'll be seeing the end for quite a while. But they may lose me if they can't focus more on horror instead of gore. They are not the same. And the latter is the easy way out when it comes to writing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched all of the first two seasons, but for the last two years, I've gotten bored after the first few episodes, always meaning to return, never catching up, and then realizing that I didn't care. I was kinda interested in checking out this year's season, but after reading all of the comments posted here, I think I'll probably skip it again.

I find that the show has gotten very repetitive. Even though the same actors are playing different characters in different locations and different time periods, it felt like they were really playing the same type each time. A lot of the conflicts and relationships seemed very similar. I know Jessica Lange has gotten a lot of praise for her involvement in the show, but by the start of last year's season, I just felt like I had seen that exact performance year in and year out. Same for Sarah Paulson and some others in the cast. I'm kinda over the whole thing.

I wish the show was creepier/scarier - the few episodes I did see of the past two seasons didn't really seem scary and didn't frighten me. I'm not bothered by the increasing gore and violence, but it's not doing anything to interest me either.

It's too bad, I really enjoyed the first couple seasons of this. Maybe I'll revisit it if there's an outpouring of positive reactions after future episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
...but I really thought Evan could not handle his character at all. He seemed to be indicating more than inhabiting the period aspects of his character.
Yeah and he's usually one of the stronger cast members but it's like he's doing a parody of 1920's character rather being that character.

By the way, why isn't Sarah Paulson more famous? She hasn't had a ton to do this year yet but she's an incredible actor.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TravisR said:
By the way, why isn't Sarah Paulson more famous? She hasn't had a ton to do this year yet but she's an incredible actor.

I don't know. She is amazing. Especially in seasons 2 & 4 she did the most amazing, Emmy-deserving work. I really thought she may win for Freak Show. That was a fantastic achievement. I can't wait to see her take on Marcia Clark in American Crime Story.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
EricSchulz said:
I'm finding this VERY derivative. Marsh is basically a very loose reworking of the first US serial killer, HH Holmes. The whole scene with Wes and Sarah in the hotel bar smacked of The Shining. The sex and violence is gratuitous and rarely advances the story. Hopefully soon things will start tying together with the other seasons, assuming that they have that already planned out and won't "work backwards" to connect the stories.

There are Shining references all over the place. That shower scene? I almost did a spit take. I don't consider the homages a bad thing, although this show might steal the thunder of the prequel if it actually gets made.

And whoa, this hotel makes The Overlook seem like a Disney resort. ;)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So this season still seems eh. But Jesus and Mary Chain? Awesome! The soundtrack continues to be better than the show.

I did like Angela Basset as a Jackie Brown type actress. We'll see where that goes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I liked this episode the best so far. Angela Bassett's back story being the highlight for me. Along with the Finn Wittrock on Cheyenne Jackson action. Again, I am amazed at Sarah Paulson and the depth and quality of her performances. Every thought flashes across her face and in her eyes, even when she has no dialogue. And how HOT is Angela Bassett?? Plus the sex and gore was toned down in favor of actual plot and character development. How novel!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Another film that they borrowed heavily from is The Hunger for the vampire storyline. They even borrowed the music from the film. There is a point where you are paying homage and another point where is it just unimaginative creative theft. Lady Gaga is clearly their version of Miriam Blaylock.

3508-309x316.jpg

I will say as much as I am questioning its originality, I am enjoying it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
So incredibly disppointed in the last 2 episodes, with the exception of the Liz Taylor backstory (and the brief reference to Mare Winningham's son being kidnapped by the Wineville Chicken Coop Murderer. This season is all over the place and not gelling, imo. Great cast in a relative mess (so far.) I hope it picks up, otherwise I may abandon this season. The great thing is, though, next season will be a whole new ballgame again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
So incredibly disppointed in the last 2 episodes, with the exception of the Liz Taylor backstory...
Denis O'Hare comes through like a champ as always.

I thought the murder of the two hipster asshole kids was pretty funny because from the first sentence they spoke, you hated them & knew that they'd die so the longer it went on, the funnier it became.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Didn't start watching this until last season but am really enjoying it. It's almost addictive in a weird sort of way.

Creepy and bizarre, but fun to watch. I do wish Jessica Lange had stayed with it, but the new blond woman is almost a clone, so she blends right in.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TravisR said:
Denis O'Hare comes through like a champ as always.

I thought the murder of the two hipster asshole kids was pretty funny because from the first sentence they spoke, you hated them & knew that they'd die so the longer it went on, the funnier it became.

Yeah, I SO wanted to see them bite it in the worst way possible! LOL. But it was so anticlimactic when it came.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
And for me one of the only good things this season are the music choices. This episode we got to hear Depeche Mode. Really this season has been like a really long 80's goth/NIN video.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, those two were doomed the second they opened their mouths.

Bringing real world serial killers into the story kind of soured it for me. I like my horror more fictional I guess. I'll probably stick with it just to see if the former lovers of the Countess get their revenge. The backstories are more interesting to me than what's happening in the present most of the time.

Are there more than two people actually working at the hotel? That ghostly maid must never get any rest. ;)

I think the obligatory authority figure who doesn't believe the protagonists story, nor is willing to get off their ass and at least check it out is now my most hated horror cliche.

You'd think the hotel's secret areas would have been discovered back when the original owner was caught in the act. Or somebody would have figured out that a lot of missing people check in and never check out.

They seem to really telegraphing that the detective is probably the Seven Deadly Sins killer, with all his memory blackouts. (And getting invited to the ghostly serial killer party.) I will be very surprised if he's not.

The whole vampire schoolkids subplot feels like it's getting too close to The Strain. And it takes the focus off the creepy hotel. Are we going to have bloodsuckers taking over Los Angeles? And will anyone even notice? :lol:

I love those Blaxploitation posters hanging in the mansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks