What's new

American Born Chinese Disney+ Series (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Arriving in the celebratory wake of Everything Everywhere All At Once (EEA@O), we have Disney+'s American Born Chinese, an adaptation of the celebrated Gene Luen Yang graphic novel of the same name.

Premiering May 24th, there will be eight, 30-minute episodes for the series directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi) and Lucy Liu (yes, that Lucy Liu, who has been doing some directing these days).

If you haven't read the graphic novel, it's one of my personal favorites.

The Hollywood Reporter has already published a review (warning: spoilers):

‘American Born Chinese’ Review: Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan Reunite in Disney+’s Vibrant Graphic Novel Adaptation

Last edited:

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
FrWwPgXXwAEHByZ

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw a new ad today that said ALL episodes will be available May 24. So they're doing this as a binge drop rather than a weekly series, which is unusual for Disney+.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great cast. The trailer gives me “another MCU show from Disney” franchise fatigue vibes. Will try to check it out later this year (currently overloaded by Peak TV).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Will be interesting to see how they adapt the story and a particular character to this medium.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw the 1st episode tonight. It was a lot of fun. A modern mix of high school angst and Chinese mythology.

While not necessary to know beforehand…

The Monkey King is an iconic character in Chinese literature… essentially the lead in Journey to the West, an epic work of fiction that has been adapted many times in Asian cinema/TV.

The character was also portrayed by Jet Li in Forbidden Kingdom (2008).

And Guanyin (Michelle Yeoh) is the Goddess of Mercy, one of the deities in Buddhist teachings (especially Chinese).

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Gene Luen Yang is such a great storyteller. I haven't read the comic version yet, but have read his Dragon Hoops books and that was so good.

He's also on a couple of Mimi Chan's podcasts - I recommend her podcasts if you're looking for some good conversations - https://www.sifumimichan.com/podcast-2/ - she has the occasional comic creator plus some other great guests.

After saying all of that, I'm interesting in giving this series a look. But first I have to finish Cobra Kai and The Boys.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't expecting much from this when I saw the trailer, but it was pretty good. Good enough to binge the whole thing anyway. Hope it gets it gets a big enough audience for a second season.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I would have liked to see a S2... so, a little disappointed at the news.

Not the greatest series ever, but it had its moments.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I though it was a good series, but how can a series ever get better when it is never given enough time to develop? I hope it can find a new home with a service not run by a Neanderthal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks