What's new

All the negative vibers re: Apple (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There’s also out-of-warranty replacement. Which when I fried my iPhone 8+, I bought a new replacement for $329 around 2017. It’s not free, but more than offset by not paying for AppleCare for the previous 7 years.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I would think what you did is technically not allowed, but in practice, some/many Genius Bar reps might suggest that... and I guess there's no way Apple knows otherwise (for certain anyway... at this point).

Also, AFAIK, you can't add AppleCare anymore after the device warranty expires (after 1 year)... which I suppose isn't a problem if you upgrade asap every year...

... so they're not lying at all, but just not offering info about (very) gray practices that may or may not be commonly accepted...

_Man_
I don’t think Apple would allow or encourage their staff to do things they didn’t want done. It’s not like the Genius is getting a tip or any other benefit— they‘ve just made yet another Apple customer very happy. I’ve had Mac repairs past warranty or Apple Care, etc. If they can do something above and beyond to help a customer, they do.

So many of this articles OTOH are written with “Apple is out to get you” in mind. I am not saying on count on getting above and beyond what you are paying for or signing up for — but living a life where you suspect Apple is trying to screw you, isn’t happy for anyone, starting with yourself. The writers of these articles can’t be very happy people

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One more absolute lie. I broke the screen on my iPad Pro (11”, next to last generation), no AppleCare. Took it to the local Genius Bar, was told — no problem — you can still sign up to AppleCare, and no, you don’t have to even get the full thing— you can just sign up for single month of AppleCare (like $6), bring back your iPadPro tomorrow and we’ll fix the screen.

That or we can just keep listening to the latest fake ”Apple just wants more profits” stories. Either the reporters are incompetent or they are knowingly lying
How long ago did this occur?
Also, AFAIK, you can't add AppleCare anymore after the device warranty expires (after 1 year)... which I suppose isn't a problem if you upgrade asap every year...
When I got my new Watch 6 they told me I had 90 days (I think) to add it.
There’s also out-of-warranty replacement. Which when I fried my iPhone 8+, I bought a new replacement for $329 around 2017. It’s not free, but more than offset by not paying for AppleCare for the previous 7 years.
Was the replacement also an 8+? Could you have upgraded?

What I dislike about Apple Care is that the customer pays extra for it, then pays an “incident” fee to use it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

What I dislike about Apple Care is that the customer pays extra for it, then pays an “incident” fee to use it.
Yes, I replaced my 8+ with an 8+. There was no discounted pricing for upgrade-replacement, AFAIK.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
How long ago did this occur?

When I got my new Watch 6 they told me I had 90 days (I think) to add it.

You pay car and home insurance premium then pay a deductible when you make a claim. Same principal, just harder to swallow since it’s on disposable tech.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
ZIM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks