What's new

Aimee Mann MoFi SACD's (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi! I'm considering dropping over $60 on Aimee Mann's two MoFi SACD's. I've never purchased a MoFi disc, but I've heard that they are wonderful. Still, $30 a disc is a bit expensive. I was hoping someone (or more than one) could give me a brief write-up on Lost in Space and Bachelor #2. I own Lost in Space on CD, and I love it. However, I've never even heard Bachelor #2. Thanks for your comments!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I don't own either MoFi SACD, but I do own both these titles on Redbook.

Most of the songs on Batchelor #2 can also be found on the "Magnolia" soundtrack. They are more melancholy than those on the Lost in Space CD and a little slower paced. With that being said, it's absolutely fantastic material that I actually prefer to Lost In Space, even though I think the latter is an outstanding album in it's own right. I don't think if you are a fan of L.I.S., that you would be in any way disappointed by Batchelor #2.

I have thought many times about double dipping and getting these two SACD's but there is always some other purchase at the time (CD, SACD, DVD or Video Game) that puts my money to other uses.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I own both MoFi hybrid SACDs and can only give them a BIG thumbs-up. On my system they are a definite improvement over the Redbook releases. Whether or not they're worth the money is a personal choice, but I've never regreted dropping the cash on them. Of course, I'm a big Aimee Mann fan (see my sig). :D

As for the material on Bachelor No. 2, I'd bet money that if you love Lost in Space you'll love it as well. Both of these releases show off her great songwriting. And while I'm at it let me recommend her Live at St. Ann's Warehouse DVD/CD set. You can pick it up at CC or BB for around $14.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have both the Mofi discs and they are excellent. I agree with the above post about money being a personal choice. I picked both of them up as new releases/pre-orders from CD Universe and they were $20.99. Tower.com has them for $26.99 with free shipping and sometimes has sales.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The MoFi SACDs were my first exposure to her music. I picked them up on a lark after reading good things. No regrets, but then I didn't have to double-dip.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Thanks, everyone! I picked up these discs today, and I'm really excited about hearing them. I'd listen to them now, but everyone in the house is asleep. I'll post some thoughts as soon as I get a chance to hear them. Later!
Rob

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Not true. Only "Deathly", "Driving Sideways" and "You Do" are found on both. Also, I think the Magnolia Soundtrack has a different version (all instrumental?) of "Nothing is Good Enough", but I can't recall for certain off-hand.

I've got both MOFI SACDs and the original CD release of "Bachelor No. 2" (and "Magnolia"), and the SACDs are a big improvement. They really and truly sound fantastic. Definitely recommended.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

Ken and Rich,

Now that I think about it, you are correct. Aimee Mann wrote and recorded about 9 songs for the Magnolia soundtrack of which 3-4 made the conversion over to "Batchelor #2", which then makes me want to suggest that Robert pick up the Magnolia soundtrack if he wants to hear 6 addition Aimee songs that I think are also particularly good.

Sorry for the confusion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm late to the party but want to throw in my endorsement. I've dipped a few times into the Lost In Space well (redbook, SACD and then the special edition) but no regrets. I wish they would put the Magnolia soundtrack on SACD but I imagine the licensing is a little stickier with that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks