What's new

Aimee Mann Bachelor No. 2 SACD (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I too wish the Magnolia tracks were available. At one point I made a CD that put them all together.

I don't know if it's the town I live in, but it's too often that I mention Aimee Mann to someone and am greeted with a blank look. To quote my dad, "They don't know what's good."

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Nope, haven't seen it. Isn't it with Tom Cruise? I'll definitely check out the streaming audio to sample a few tracks...free is free!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Well, after buying the Lost In Space MoFi SACD based on the recommendations here and *finally* giving it a fair shot (I bought it about 6 months ago, but had only listened to 1 or 2 songs to check out it’s audio quality), I must say that the fanfare on these boards for Aimee Mann is completely warranted! Wow, what a wonderful singer/songwriter she is. I put on LIS last night before falling asleep yet couldn’t sleep. I found myself enthralled with her music, almost as if I was in a trance. I must have listened to the album 3 times over. That being said, I placed my order for the Bachelor #2 SACD today. Pretty much every review of it I’ve seen says that it is superior to LIS. I just can’t imagine that. LIS seems so good to me. Lyrically and musically it is so sound. Anyway, thanks to all on these boards for pushing me to give these albums a chance!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I'm dissapointed that you liked LIS, because I'd love to trade some DVDs for that SACD. ;)

It really is a great CD and Bachelor #2 (although a somewhat different style) is also very good. I would check out The Forgotten Arm as well (not on SACD though) as it's very underrated in my opinion... hell, maybe you should check out her first 2 CDs as well. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes I keep waiting and hoping for The Forgotten Arm on SACD.

Keep in mind when you listen to that one that it's a concept album, so songs are less self-contained than on a traditional album. I think that one belongs with the other two as far as overall album quality goes, even if it isn't as tailor made to be played on the radio (not that Aimee ever gets played, damned Payola!), it's a wonderful listen from beginning to end.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

I have enjoyed all of Aimee Mann's work through the years, but Bachelor is easily my favorite. I know you won't be disappointed and you may even agree after giving it a spin. BTW, you should pick up the soundtrack to the film Magnolia. It has a few must have tracks not contained on the Bachelor album. Two of favorites as a matter of fact (Build That Wall and Save Me). Enjoy, Ron!! :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Lost in Space Special Edition is pretty good too. The second disc has some good B-Sides, including "Nightmare Girl," "Backfire" and a live cover of Coldplay's "The Scientist" (especially good if you can't stand Coldplay's lead singer).

I'm actually on a "Forgotten Arm" kick - listening to more of it than either Bachelor or LiS.

I just got her Christmas album. Last year she issued a set of holiday songs on iTunes, one of which was "Clean Up for Christmas" from The Forgotten Arm. I'm all for Mann's moody and depressing, but putting that song on a Christmas album was just going too far. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Lost in Space is my favorite Aimee Mann CD Ron. Bachelor No. 2 is wonderful too (as is almost all of her work IMO), but there's something about the desolation in many of the songs on LIS that speaks to me more. FWIW I was fairly disappointed with The Forgotten Arm, and I'm a pretty big fan.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
i got that christmas album, i don't like it, it's too happy. i'd rather she stick to songs of heartache, longing and despair...but that's just me.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I think that's what I really latched onto when listening to LIS. I'm a pretty cynical person, so I really enjoy the cyncism in her lyrics. Of course, she takes it that one step farther. ;) But yes, the desolation in her songs along with the sparseness of the music give it that ethereal vibe. Good stuff!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I think that's what I really latched onto when listening to LIS. I'm a pretty cynical person, so I really enjoy the cyncism in her lyrics. Of course, she takes it that one step farther. ;) I agree...the desolation in her songs along with the sparseness of the music give it that vast, lonely vibe. Good stuff!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed. I also appreciate the cynicism of her lyrics, as well as her sense of irony and her fatalistic humor. These are all reasons I'm drawn to her as a musician and a singer. And let's not forget that she's a genius songwriter and has a beautiful voice that really lends itself to what she sings about. I think one of the reasons that The Forgotten Arm didn't really click for me is that the ambiguity and ethereal qualities in her writing seemed to have gotten lost in the course of making a "concept album". While I certainly like some of the songs on the CD, none of them stay with me. I hope that Aimee returns to a more loosely structured vibe on her next effort.

Anyway, if you love LIS I also highly recommend that you pick up a copy of the Special Edition. There are some real gems on the second disc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Lost In Space is also near and dear, mainly because the album served as a tonic for a difficult time. Now that that time has passed, I don't listen to the album as often, but the songs still resonate, in particular "Humpty Dumpty" and "Invisible Ink." The funny thing is I had owned and listened to the album for a while but the lyrics of those songs didn't really hit home until a particular moment and then it was all I could/would listen to.

The Forgotten Arm seems to me a natural next step. LiS's addiction themes just taken to the next level or fleshed out in the form of concrete characters and events. My personal "one-two punch" favorites of the album are "She Really Wants You" and "Video" - I was listening to those constantly for a period of time too.

I got to see her live last year. I'm definitely not someone who gets easily excited, but I was ecstatic (or at least my version of it).

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I also recommend her Live at St. Ann's Warehouse concert DVD.

It's a great concert performance with 16 songs covering her albums up to and including Lost in Space (as well as King of the Jailhouse and Going Trough The Motions from TFA). The DVD also contains a few interviews as well.
The package also has a CD containing 13 of the songs from the convert DVD.
Can't go wrong for $17.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hmm, another vote for Bachelor No. 2. For straight singer-songwriter music; I can't find many alive that can match Mann's prowess. Not only her amazingly accessible, relative and bold lyrical style but just her sense of melody is insane. It does take some effort to get inside her music but I believe that it's attributed to how deep her music really is.

"...Drifter in the Snow" "happy?" I didn't receive that. Mann is one of those artists(like say The Flaming Lips, Death Cab) that can take an upbeat subject and make it so utterly melancholy. I read someone describe it as a World War II era Christmas album and that nailed it for me.

Mann, is a genius in my book

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know y’all…after receiving Bachelor No. 2 the other day and listening to the first handful of songs, I’m digging LIS a lot more. Granted, this is more of a first listen opinion, but these songs don’t have the immediate impact that the ones on LIS did. I’ll digest it more and give it some more time to sink in. Perhaps that will sway me. Either way though, it’s still a strong set of songs...

P. S. I wonder if it's because the tunes on LIS are a tad poppier?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
It's just the opposite for me, but after settling in with B#2 last night and listening to it in it's entirety, I can appreciate why so many people like it better. It's just such a great collection of songs. I guess if I'm in for the long haul (i.e. am popping in a CD and listening from beginning to end), I would go with B#2. However, if I've only got a short amount of time, I'd go with LIS and hit some select tracks. Either way, she is a phenomenal musician. I'm so happy y'all turned me on to this artist. Thanks again!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you're looking for more of her work, I highly recommend albums from her 'Til Tuesday period, namely "Welcome Home" and "Everything's Different Now." The latter is an especially well constructed pop album, which (not suprisingly) was critically praised but commercially unsuccessful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks