What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Heat (1995) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
EXPERIENCE THE CLASSIC CRIME DRAMA IN STUNNING
4K ULTRA HD™

A group of men holding guns  Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Special Screening to Celebrate Michael Mann’s Masterpiece
at the Tribeca Festival June 17

Heat arrives on 4K Ultra HD Disc August 9

LOS ANGELES, CA (June 8, 2022)
– Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino and Michael Mann will reunite at this year’s Tribeca Festival for the first public premiere of the new 4K Ultra HD version of Mann’s 1995 classic, Heat.

The film’s stars, along with writer-director Michael Mann and producer Art Linson, will attend the screening on June 17 which will be followed by an on-stage conversation, moderated by journalist and filmmaker Bilge Ebiri. For more information please visit www.tribecafilm.com.

This special screening celebrates the release on August 9 of the 20th Century Studios film on 4K Ultra HD Disc for the first time. The remastered film includes previously released audio commentary with Director Michael Mann, Q&As, deleted scenes and more extras.

Also on August 9, Mann’s first novel, Heat 2, which tells an original story woven from the lives of the characters in Heat, both before and after the events depicted in the movie, will be published.

Film Synopsis

Al Pacino and Robert De Niro dually power the momentum and large scale of this groundbreaking film written and directed by Michael Mann. In the wake of a precision heist of an armored truck, an obsessive detective (Pacino) begins to hunt ruthless, professional thief Neil McCauley (De Niro) through the streets of Los Angeles. As the stakes escalate, their lives begin to mirror and unravel, and McCauley’s crew initiates its most dangerous and complex heist. Co-starring Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Ashley Judd, Amy Brenneman, Diane Venora, Natalie Portman and Jon Voight, Heat delivers hard-hitting action, gripping suspense and stunning performances.

Bonus Features

4K Ultra HD

• Director’s Audio Commentary
Blu-ray Disc One

• Heat In High Definition
  • Director’s Audio Commentary
Bonus Blu-ray Disc Two

• Q&A With Michael Mann
  • Q&A With Christopher Nolan
  • 3-Part Making-Of Documentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Pacino and De Niro: The Conversation
  • Return To The Scene Of The Crime

Cast

Robert De Niro
as Neil McCauley

Al Pacino as Lt. Vincent Hanna

Val Kilmer as Chris Shiherlis

Jon Voight as Nate

Tom Sizemore as Michael Cheritto

Diane Venora as Justine

Amy Brenneman as Eady

Ashley Judd as Charlene Shiherlis

Directed by

Michael Mann

Executive Producers

Pieter Jan Brugge

Arnon Milchan

Produced by

Michael Mann

Art Linson

Screenplay by

Michael Mann

Music by

Elliot Goldenthal

Product Specifications

Street Date

Physical: August 9

Product SKU

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack 3 Discs (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Blu-ray Bonus Disc + Digital Code)

Feature Run Time

Approx. 170 minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated R

* For violence and language

Aspect Ratio

Physical: 2.40:1

U.S. Audio

4K Ultra HD: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, French 5.1 DTS Digital Surround, Spanish 2.0 Dolby Digital

U.S. Subtitles

4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I wonder how many more changes Mann will make to this Director's Definitive Edition that will differ from his last Director's Definitive Edition?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know this has been discussed elsewhere probably many times but I'm rather forgetful...

What is the history of this film's home video rights?

Last time we saw this on Blu-ray it was released by Fox and then I think Warner. I could be wrong.

In any case, just amazing that Disney is even considering releasing a catalog title on 4k. They pretty much have given up on releasing anything else in the Fox vaults.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I know this has been discussed elsewhere probably many times but I'm rather forgetful...

What is the history of this film's home video rights?

Last time we saw this on Blu-ray it was released by Fox and then I think Warner. I could be wrong.

In any case, just amazing that Disney is even considering releasing a catalog title on 4k. They pretty much have given up on releasing anything else in the Fox vaults.
It was produced by Regency, which originally had a distribution deal with Warner Bros., but then switched to Fox at some point. I think the disc release was already in the works before the Disney purchase of Fox was complete.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
It was produced by Regency, which originally had a distribution deal with Warner Bros., but then switched to Fox at some point. I think the disc release was already in the works before the Disney purchase of Fox was complete.
This is my understanding as well. The film is "owned" by Regency, which had a distribution agreement with Fox, and the UHD was in the works before the merger closed. Disney is likely releasing the UHD to honor the terms of the distribution agreement.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

The film's wikipedia page says the following

A Director's Definitive Edition Blu-Ray was released on May 9, 2017, by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, who acquired the distribution rights to the film through their part-ownership of Regency back in 2015. Sourced from a 4K remaster of the film supervised by Mann, the two-disc set contains all the extras from the 2009 Blu-ray, along with two filmmakers panels from 2015 and 2016, one of which was moderated by Christopher Nolan

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Have been waiting in anticipation since 2017, ever since the 4K UHD was rumoured to be released. I remember my first viewing of this on LaserDisc in 1996. I had just got hold of an AC-3 demodulator and this film was the first one I could play with 5.1 surround on my home theatre set-up. The heist scene was my demonstration scene to anyone wondering what surround sound in a home theatre could sound like and my neighbour almost had a nervous breakdown!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
My digital file from the last blu-ray release upgraded to 4K about two years ago.... so I will pass on this.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The iTunes 4K streaming version suffered from horrible compression artifacts during the night scenes when I watched it a few years ago. I am hoping the UHD's increased bitrate solves that problem. The 2017 Blu-ray looked significantly better than the 4K stream.

Pretty sure this will be my sixth purchase of the film...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The iTunes 4K streaming version suffered from horrible compression artifacts during the night scenes when I watched it a few years ago. I am hoping the UHD's increased bitrate solves that problem. The 2017 Blu-ray looked significantly better than the 4K stream.

Pretty sure this will be my sixth purchase of the film...
Yeah, I'm purchasing this 4K disc too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Have been waiting in anticipation since 2017, ever since the 4K UHD was rumoured to be released. I remember my first viewing of this on LaserDisc in 1996. I had just got hold of an AC-3 demodulator and this film was the first one I could play with 5.1 surround on my home theatre set-up. The heist scene was my demonstration scene to anyone wondering what surround sound in a home theatre could sound like and my neighbour almost had a nervous breakdown!

I don't know if this my first 5.1 LD title, but the sonics on this laser disc were pretty amazing at the time. Both the armored car heist and the downtown shootout were outstanding audio demonstration scenes. Pardon the sojourn down memory lane, back to the topic at hand...

I am still not UHD capable; waiting for my FP to go to that big repair shop in the sky, but this will be a definite addition to my collection at some future time. Having said that, I do wonder what the differences are in this cut vs. theatrical.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I paid $7.99 last week. I watched my BluRay not long ago, and was disappointed about how soft the picture looks. Hopefully the UHD will have better sharpness and contrasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks