After 15 years.... (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm back! =)

Just picked up a second hand Macbook, 2Ghz, White with the works Reformatted it and am making it my own now, getting lightroom and Photoshop CS3 good to go on it.

Anyone have a recommendation on bluetooth mice? No mighty mouse for me, gotta have my REAL right clicks.

Only problem I've had was Software Update hung at 92%, forced quit and got it back on track, just that easy. Next step is ripping out my linksys router, buying an airport extreme for N and taking the linksys over to my parents house so I can surf from the couch when I'm over there =)

Sam

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Sam!

Is this your first Mac or are you a veteran user?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I would guess by his title that this is his first mac in 15 years.

Welcome home, Sam! Let us know how the upgrade to Lightroom and CS3 go on that macbook.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Welcome back to Mac.

I just ordered a new MacBook Pro 15" 2.33GHz/2GB RAM with the 256MB VRAM... the old Powerbook G4 (with only 64MB of VRAM), though still nice, isn't cutting it for the high end stuff. Should have the new Book on Tuesday. It'll be my fifth Mac over the years, third laptop.

Been using a MBPro for work... now I'll have one of my very own.

Still debating about whether or not to bother putting Windows on it... have it with Parallels at work and only use it occasionally.

-Scott

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

Sounds like you and I have the same Macbook Pro. Glossy or non?

Welcome to the club!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Went with the glossy, Ron.

Was really not too sure, because I hate screen reflections and have thought that glossy screens were problematic in that area. A colleague of mine let me try her glossy MBP... took it into a very bright room with flourescent lighting and lots of windows, and was impressed with the anti-glare they're using on these.

I think the improved saturation and contrast of the glossy will be worth any minor reflection problems.

-Scott

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I went from a Lenovo non-glossy to this MacPro glossy,
and I just loved the polished finish of my display. Photos
look much more vivid.

Have no issues with reflections.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Cool. I'm sure I'll enjoy.

Just got the delivery tracking notification... it's waiting for me at home... might have to leave work a little early today.

-Scott

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I really want a MBP (matte for photo work) but I found a deal on craigslist that put me into a fully geared macbook for $950. Eventually when Santa Rosa comes out and some faster video cards get rigged into the MBP I might consider upgrading but for now I'm good to go.

Yes, I stopped working on Macs back in 1992 when I actually had to buy my own again and went from Unix back to full bore PC for home use with a few diversions into many different Linux variants. Having Unix at the core of OSX is like being in native country, and its got the lickable gloss on top that rocks =)

The ONLY disappointment I've had is that I found out that I cant get the white macbook Laser Etched. Only the MBPs and Blackbooks can be done in NYC =(

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As far as Glossy versus matte: Photos and video _definitly_ look more vivid and slick. However as someone who is both red/green AND blue/brown color deficient (color blind is a really bad term!) I rely on using my Pantone Huey on the PC to make sure I'm dealing with calibrated color from my 20D capture to Lightroom/Photoshop and then on to Costco with the printer profile they provide online. That way any color errors are MY fault alone and not the gear's. I was worried that glossy will make that harder but time will tell.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Laser Etched? Tell me more! I'd love to put our logo on my Macbook.

Where can it be done and how much?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Congrats, I still use both but last year I bought a Mac Mini and it's the PC I enjoy using the most. It's a G4 Mini before they went intel. At some Point I'll either upgrade it or maybe pick up a Macbook, I still have a Dell Laptop 700m that's a tank, and I have a HTPC in the basement for my Optoma H30 PJ, meanwhile the Mini Streams Vids and plays Apple lossless in the Living Room.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron & Scott -- can you say a few more words about glossy v. matte? I've read (but not looked) that glossy is like a mirror, creating strong glare. Your comments are to the contrary. Are you working in a typical office environment, overhead lights, etc.? Thanks.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'll second the discussion of glossy vs. matte. I'm going to buy a MBP when Leopard (finally) comes out, and would like opinions.

Thanks guys!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Glossy vs Matte

I was really, REALLY hesitant to go with glossy. Having no Apple Store nearby, there was no place to have a good look when I ordered a MBP for work in December. I went with matte, because it's what I knew.

I had read, subsequently, that Steve Jobs had refused to offer a glossy screen due to glare, until the anti-glare coatings were improved.

They have been improved.

Glare is minimal in even bright office light. Yes, you get more glare than a matte, but... WOW... what great saturation and contrast on the glossy. In the few short hours I've had the MBP, I'd say it is the best display I've seen on a Mac laptop.

I do a lot of work with visuals for video and photography... lots of work processing still images in Photoshop and encoding video... modeling 3D images and texturing... you name it.

Granted, all I've done with this new MBP Pro Glossy is check out a DVD for a minute, browse a few photos, and jump into Second Life for awhile... but I know I made the right choice. Take it from a doubter... unless you will ALWAYS be in demanding lighting situations, think about going with the glossy over matte. I'm glad I did.

-Scott

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Phew! Thank God for Scott! Started reading his review and
I thought he would have a strong argument against glossy. That
would have been a tough act to follow.

3 years ago I had a GLOSSY Toshiba notebook. I loved the display.
Then, one year later, I bought a Lenovo T60 which had a MATTE
display. I hated it.

Now, with my first MBP, I made a point of going back to GLOSSY.
As Scott thankfully pointed out, the saturation and contrast is
incredible. By far, the best display I have ever seen on a notebook.

As far as reflection is concerned, I don't have any issues.
I suppose the anti-glare coating has improved over the years.
My workplace is very much like those warehouse shopping clubs
with huge overhead fluorescents. At home, I work beneath a
floor lamp. Neither of those sources give off any excessive reflection.

I hate to be the person who urges you to buy a GLOSSY and
you end up hating it. It's a very personal choice and some love
it and others do not. For me (and apparently Scott), there's a
bit of a "WOW" factor about the GLOSSY screens in that they
really are beautiful displays.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the comments on glossy display! I'd written off the glossy (without much hands-on experience), but I'll definitely consider them seriously now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
adafruit is where I was going to take it but they won't do white macbooks. I'm investingating some of the places in CA but I doubt I'd do it.

Adafruit is AMAZINGLY cheap too. They will do your logo for $100 Ron! Let us know if you decide to do it!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry to have set off the firestorm about Glossy Versus Matte =) I love the look of glossy but it's taking some getting used to and I think on the rare occaissions I use it outdoors I'd have preferred the matte, but both rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks