What's new

AFI missing titles (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I have posted this subject in past years but I thought this was worthy of another try since we are in December of '06 and roughly 10 years since the format was introduced. I'm curious about 2 titles still MIA from the 100 movies 100 years list.

My main title of interest continues to be The African Queen. I already own the R2 and an imported R1 (recently made available through Amazon). Neither of my imports are of very high quality and the only one with any extras is the R2 version. I know this was being worked/restored by Paramount for a release 'sometime soon', but I'm getting the feeling, as each year passes without a peep, that this one will never be available.

The second title is The Jazz Singer. This is the 1927 Al Jolson version (not the 1980 remake with Neil Diamond). This one was also being restored and I thought we would at least have heard of a release date by now.

If either of these titles are being discussed for release in '07 I haven't heard any specifics. Anyone out there aware of availability dates (or can speculate) about these classics?

Joel

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I thought The Jazz Singer was supposed to part of Warner Bros' 2007 Oscar promotion releases. In fact, a 2-disc set was mentioned as a possibility. However, no Oscar titles have been officially announced at this point, even though they typically are released late January/early February. With March's Literary Classics Collection already announced, I'm not sure what the heck is going on at this point.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Although not heard anything official, I think it is a fair ASSUMPTION that The Jazz Singer will appear in 2007 to celebrate its 80th birthday.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
By the way, the new master of THE JAZZ SINGER that TCM runs is the new restoration, along with the restored PLANTATION ACT.

It's too bad that Fox no longer owns the rights to AFRICAN QUEEN-- it would be an interesting excuse for them to release the 1957 Jeff Morrow/Coleen Gray film COPPER SKY, which is practically an outright remake (rip-off?) set in the old west.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
So essentially, I see no reason to expect either title during the first half of '07 and perhaps for the remainder of the year. Looks like Jazz Singer may be one coming out sometime during the year, if at all, based on some of the speculation. If there was a fraction of the interest expressed in The African Queen on this board that exists overseas we might at least get a legitimate R1 release in the foreseeable future. Sigh...

Joel

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I sent Digital Bit's Bill Hunt an email about those two remaining AFI titles months back. The Bit's website has this old list of 100 AFI films and when they finally appeared on DVD, except the two in limbo at this point.

AFI Top 100 Films on DVD Link: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/top100dvd.html

I'd like to know what he was able to confirm with the respective studios for updates. Maybe there isn't anything to say until they are in our hands. Oh well more DVD's, HD-DVD & Blu-Ray to enjoy for now!

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

I've sent several emails to Bill over the last few years with not a peep or response. I guess their information is old or was never as solid as they thought. It would be nice to have some updates or remove their dated speculation about these titles being readied for release...

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks