What's new
World Wide Stereo

Advice on biwired speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike_NW

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I recently purchased a pair of KEF Q-Compact speakers to serve as surround speakers along with KEF Q-50 fronts and KEF Model 90 center channel and Mirage BPS-100 sub. Everything sounds great, but the Sony STR-DG800 amp keeps shutting down (going into "protector" mode because it is sensing irregularities in the current). Here's the issue: My rear surrounds are set up for biwiring. I didn't know this when I ordered them. I had already run single wires to the back of the room. I wanted to run the single wires through both positive and both negative posts on the backs of these rear surrounds. The speakers came with a jumper plate. They sound great until the amp shuts down. I'm running the wires through the posts, then securing them between the lugnuts and the jumper plate. Seems like it should work, and it does work -- until it shuts down. Also, the rear speakers are set as "small" in the amp setup, with crossover point at 60. They are rated for 50 and up. Advice?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike_NW

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Thanks. I had tried that and it did not work. However, everything is working fine since I capped the end of each wire with a gold-plated connector, then used empty speaker-wire casings as bumpers to shield the connectors from making contact with anything else. The sound is great. THANKS again.

keviinmc

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Sounds like the speaker wires were touching the metal plate on the back of the speaker and thats why your amp was shutting down. I just bought a pair of Q1s and with some good cables and a better aftermarket jumper they sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks