What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part IV (1 Viewer)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
On a connected note I have no damn reverse cover on my Mahoromatic Volume 1 DVD case. :frowning:

If I ever wanted to fanservice out my DVD's what would I do then eh? Eh?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Ah, when it comes to Engrish songs...just ask me, I can transliterate almost all of them into proper English.

As for the subs in CotS and BotS, it's the little mistakes here and there that are causing fans to go in an uproar. Wrong translations and wrong titles of people, etc.. Really shows that the translator doesn't understand the series OR the English editor is changing a lot due to the repetitiveness of Japanese (and in Japanese, redundancy is normal, actually usual for the language).

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Kong:

Then post your transliterations of the Berserk OP and ED to enlighten those of use (like me and my sister) who are completely in the dark.... ;)

You know - as a service to the anime community and whatnot :wink:

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
On a side note, holy shit does the reverse cover of Mahoro #3 kick ass. ;)
Perv. :D

I seem to recall reading in Chris Beveridge's review that he got one. One rule for the celebs and another for us peons!

Except I just read it again and he doesn't mention it. :b Obviously my fevered brain is imagining things.. Ok.. Enough Anime for me, back to Night of the Living Dead. :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

For true authenticity, call him a hentai :). I have to admit I'm somewhat partial to the female characters in Betterman;).

John.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
*swims over from Novice thread, looks around, and swims back*

I'm frightened

Anywho, I got some anime dumped on me. I'm about thirty six episodes through that Fushigi Yuugi series which I call Foogy Yoogy.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Fushigi Yuugi is a LONG but fun series. Marathoned that sucker along with the ONI OAV over a weekend and two evenings last summer, and it was a blast. Wish some of the minor characters had more air time. And Miaka - is annoying - but a typical shoujo heroine if there ever was one... Gotta marathon it again this year with the Eikoden OAV, which I haven't cracked open yet.

Dome:

I assume you are currently viewing the Seiryuu Box set, (the blue one)... Fun stuff... Nakago is definately a memoable villain...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I assume you are currently viewing the Seiryuu Box set, (the blue one)... Fun stuff... Nakago is definately a memoable villain...
To be honest, no. I got my stuff through "old school" means if you catch my drift. :)

I just finished it. My sister and I started on it on Tuesday and just finished it 10 minutes ago. I love it, but I'm also a sap, and some of the romantic parts got to me. :frowning:

Okay, I need to kill and maim to get my masculinity back. :angry:

:p)

I kind of like Miaka and thought she was a cutie. I kind of like her because I always liked anime characters who eat mountains of food.

And once again, my favorite character is always the crazy one. In this case, it was Chichiri (sp?) the one with masks.

What the hell am I doing here? This is advanced anime. It's not fit for the likes of me.....

bows in respect to the masters of this thread and leaves.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Yay! I got a check for $90 in the mail yesterday! First up on the buying block: The Animatrix. I don't know about the version with the soundtrack yet. Most likely I will just get it without the OST.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The Animatrix is cool- at least some of it. It's a nice mix of styles- sort of like the HBO Spawn series from a few years back.

The Second Renaissance is some of the best SF I've seen on film in years- animated or otherwise. It definately deserves to win best animated and short film oscars (but we know that will never happen). I wish there was a whole Animatrix series done exactly in this style.

Beyond is breathtaking too.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Dome: The last disc of Berserk (#6) should fit the "masculinity" bill nicely. Might even draw the females who can look past the blood in the series....

DeepDiscount has shipped mine and am STILL waiting for it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I wasn't all that impressed by Osiris- Yes it looked pretty good- but the story wasn't all that great. The theatrical showing was probably an Oscar bid.

Too bad they didn't show Renaisannce, it's truly brilliant.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Second Renaissance has to be seen with both parts. Each part alone isn't as good, and they can't nominate either as a single part.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:

I finally got around to watching Excel Saga volume 4 last night. The opening menu wasn't nearly as annoying as the one for volume 3, and the episodes remained just as funny. Highly recommended for those interested in a bit of video weirdness.

John.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Renaissance is really a single film anyways- I assume it was split for distribution purposes. It's really quite violent, I can see how it also might turn members of the Academy off. Generally I'm not into excessive violence, but it serves a purpose here- and like many of the classic war films, doesn't glorify it. But then again- Saving Private Ryan won a whole bunch of awards.

Renaissance to my mind is everything that Heavy Metal was trying to be.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Just got my Escaflowne set from Overstock ($125 shipped, not bad). The box is a little damgaged from shelf wear-bottom is bent in, and the corner is torn. Figures. The action figure is pretty cool. I'll probably mount it on my monitor.:D

At any rate, I noticed the box is # 13047- I thought there were only supposed to be 10,000 of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks