What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part IV (1 Viewer)

Kim_W

Auditioning
I am having a bit of difficulty sourcing Cowboy Bebop 3-6 from the usual suspects. No bugger seems to have it in
Matt, it looks like DVDPacific have Cowboy Bebop 3 & 6 in stock. They are also a customs friendly supplier too !

Having read both the novice and advanced anime discussion threads I thought I'd jump into the advanced thread and see what people think about Boogiepop Phantom. I'm debating picking this up but I'm not quite convinced. I really enjoyed Lain and wondered whether it was similar?

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm led to believe that if you liked Lain (not one I've seen) you'll probably like Boogiepop.

Nonetheless I've got mine on order based solely on the really cool looking LE box from Rightstuf. :D

I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. :b

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Matt, Kim:

Having just rewatched Boogiepop Phantom, and being in the process of rewatching Lain, I would say that if you liked Lain, you'll probably like Boogiepop Phantom. They're made by the same team, which you'll probably recognize easily by the character designs and the opening sequence. Boogiepop Phantom is a lot weirder than Lain, however, and probably won't make as much sense (at least to me it doesn't). I'm pretty sure that NieA_7 is made by the same team, as well, although I haven't seen it, and can't comment about how good it is.

John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Michael Morris:

Geneshaft is an okay series. It's worth watching once. Infinite Ryvius is pretty interesting and worth looking into more so.

Matt Broon:

You should definitely watch Cowboy Bebop in order because of the bigger arc story between Spike, Vicious, Julia. But the rest are episodic in nature. But it's good to at least know how they got together in the first place. :)

Matt & Kim:

Boogiepop Phantom is very interesting in that it is a serious psychological horror based anime, which is different from other horror animes that are more supernatural than actual horror. BP is weirder and really makes you think and find the symbolic nature of its core.

The same production company does Lain, Niea_7, and the new series, Tehxnolyze. Yoshitane Abe (character designer for all these series) also created his own series called Haibane Renmei ("Charcoal Feather Federation") which will be released in R1 by Pioneer. Luckily, they are leaving the title alone untranslated because it's hard to get the perfect translation from the title. This is another great series. Lighter drama than Lain, but still serious, and has a very emotional ending (not tearjerker...just emotional).

Rob:

Do you mean me??? :confused:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Since Boogiepop is the topic here, I should say that TechTV has picked it up to show on Anime Unleashed. It is going to be showing later on during the summer, starting on July 28th at Midnight, Eastern time. TechTV does a good job with showing anime, so there is no need for concerns about major editing.

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Kong, I will have to pick up the Infinite Ryvius series and take a look at it. It looked pretty interesting so I think that it will be a good buy.

As for Boogiepop Phantom that box set looks absolutely beautiful. :D

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:

I watched The Animatrix this evening, and I was quite impressed. I got the special edition with the CD, and the CD was an interesting mix of electronica. definitely something to be playing while LAN gaming.

John.

Kim_W

Auditioning
Thanks for the comments on Boogiepop Phantom guys. It sounds like something I'll be picking up soon. Not sure if I can afford the lovely boxed edition from RightStuf though (although it does look v. v. nice).

My copy of the Animatrix has just shipped so I should hopefully get it by next week. Mind you I've got such a backlog of stuff to watch I might not get to watch it until next year !

Rob:

Seeing as you seem to be clued up on the Con scene, have you any tips for a con newbie, I'm going to my first one this year and have no idea what to expect.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Kim:
1. Bring your own food. Prices of food from vendors in cons are outright OUTRAGEOUS.
2. Don't buy DVDs unless you are REALLY good at spotting boots. In my experience, I have found that legal DVD prices aren't as good as regular online prices in most cases anyways (unless from a studio at the con... I bought a number of DVDs [7] from Manga Entertainment for $10 at their booth).
3. Don't skip cosplay! It's my favorite event at any con... there are some really creative people out there. You might even get some ideas for next time (I wouldn't suggest cosplaying your first time out) :)
4. Make a schedule. Either beforehand (if the con posts their schedule online) or when you first receive your packet, plan out what you are going to do. You have a better chance at doing everything available if you plan out your day.

Eric F

Screenwriter
BTW- Someone posted that all the Animatrix films were screened at a film festival (Seattle?), so I guess they all qualify for Oscars. I doubt any of them will be nominated though- although Osiris would be the most likely candidate (Renaissance deserves it more).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
4. Make a schedule. Either beforehand (if the con posts their schedule online) or when you first receive your packet, plan out what you are going to do. You have a better chance at doing everything available if you plan out your day.
True enough, which is why I was always upset that Otakon didn't post schedules online for the longest time. It kinda sucks when you get there on Friday evening, and you find out that you missed most of the stuff you wanted to see at the con. (That was Otakon 2000...) At least now they are trying to get schedules up early so that I can make some reasonable plans. Course, I'm unable to go this year. (Damnit, stop conflicting with Pennsic!)

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I doubt any of them will be nominated though
Why not? They are pretty high profile shorts, and they should qualify for the animated short film category.

It is about like all of those people who didn't think "Spirited Away" had a chance in hell to win. I don't know why people thought that, when it was piling up all of the awards beforehand. It seemed like a shoe-in, and I was right.

Jason

Kim_W

Auditioning
Kim W which Con is that? Is it a UK based one or are you shelling out to Con abroad?
I am actually shelling out to Con abroad, Otakon to be exact. I managed to persuade my boyfriend that he really wanted to go and managed to get plane tickets and 7 nights accomodation for just over £650. Not a bad deal considering the prices I was quoted for flight only were over £400.

I might also consider going to AyaCon in October, but it kind of clashes with my birthday.

Rob & Jason: thanks for all the advice. I was really hoping to pick up a few DVD bargins (especially AnimEigo stuff which they won't ship to the UK), but it does sound like I might be better off sticking with my on-line suppliers. Now if only RightStuf would do a special on the YUA boxes I'd be there like a shot.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
And don't forget, even though Rob keeps promoting Otakon like crazy, the biggest west coast convention is Anime Expo which will start in a month. We have the biggest world wide attendees with over 20 countries represented every year.

It's been in existence since 1992 and we've grown bigger every year. This year is gonna be huge.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's been in existence since 1992 and we've grown bigger every year. This year is gonna be huge.
That's a reason why I don't go. Otakon is almost too big as it is. Also, from everything I've heard, it's got too much of a "corporate" feel to it.

Jason

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Woo Hoo!

Got YOU'RE UNDER ARREST BOX 3 yesterday. Had to work out and had NO time to view it... Come this weekend, I will have two titles to watch - this box set and Banner of Stars 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks