What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part IV (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

I had to save up my allowance for a couple of weeks to splurge like I did :). I know you haven't seen GTO, but I was including Cowboy Bebop in my statement as well :). Of course, I would recommend that you pick up GTO as soon as you can.

John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Rob:

What are you waiting for (besides more funds, of course... ;) )?? GO GET IT!

I have already ordered and received both YUA boxed sets, and loved the show. Have it on Preorder from Animeigo... Of course, Urusei Yatsura is another title I am collecting (have to get 11-15 at some point).

Seriously folks, there is a TON of region 1 titles available, and I should have known that I couldn't even HOPE to keep up.

Talal:

Welcome to the boards. As Rob Lutter (the nut who started this thread) noted, check out the Novice Anime Discussion thread for access to TONY-B's excellent primer on what to get for anime. "Anime for Dummies!" it is, but laid out and presented very well.

The reason why I would love to have MORE sports anime is because the are so fun to watch. Very formulaic, but works oh so well in getting us hooked on a show (down and out underdog -> meets challenge => fails =>trains=> wins repeat, rinse and lather...) Check out Princess NINE, a fine series filled with cute girls, baseball, and great drama.

My MSRP in DVD Profiler for anime is over $10,000. Of course, since most of it was ordered online, I saved at least 25-35% on everything... but still. Anyhow, as Rob so eloquently put it:

If you are seriously into collecting anime (or anything else) NEVER EVER do the math.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

Well, I would say that you should buy it sight unseen; it's that good :) I understand being short on cash, but you should see my must get list :).

Woo:

I wouldn't mind seeing more sports-themed shows as well. I haven't seen Princess Nine yet, but it's on my list of series to eventually get. More variety would be nice.

John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Well folks, I saw Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal Director's Cut and I didn't find the framing as distracting as Chris Beveridge did in his review. And being the lazy SOB that I am, I LOVED the fact that I didn't have to get up to "switch" discs. Those interested in Rurouni Kenshin probably should get this, but to be safe I would recommend the Original two disc release instead. A better tale of love, betrayal, and of course politics and blood (and pretty realistic swordplay) makes for a great viewing.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
By the way, did anyone check out The Animatrix review at AnimeOnDVD?! Sigh, they didn't review it in the OSL. They say Japanese is the more natural of the two. But English is the OSL! Chris Beveridge is such a troublemaker. I should tell his mommy.
Technically, I think both languages are OSL, since they both came out at the same time. Personally, I think it was a nice touch to have a Japanese track.

Jason

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Talal:

Hmm, it could be Captain Tsubasa, but then again, there are so many sports anime out there, it's hard to figure which is which. But if it is 80's stuff, Captain Tsubasa sounds like that may be the one you're looking for.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I worked last week for like 3 days and made about $150... bwahahah ;)

Monday is DOUBLE TIME too because too because it's a holiday! :D :D :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Tony, I worked last week for like 3 days and made about $150... bwahahah

Monday is DOUBLE TIME too because too because it's a holiday!
But did you get to watch movies for free at your job like I do? Didn't think so. :D

I love working at a movie theater. I'm also working on Monday.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, it could be Captain Tsubasa, but then again, there are so many sports anime out there, it's hard to figure which is which. But if it is 80's stuff, Captain Tsubasa sounds like that may be the one you're looking for.
Kong you're so close...
Captain Tsubasa is the other anime we used to watch, only it was called Captain Majid in arabic. Same era, same sport, but the characters were older in the one I'm talking about...

Andy Kent

Agent
C'mon, guys, no bragging about jobs in this thread or I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Andy Kent
watched Noir 4 today ^_^

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:

I just watched Excel Saga volume 3 today, and picked up volume 4. Excellent series, but I've got one complaint to ADV: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no more bad English dub voice actors in the animated menus!!!! Or at least let the voices be switchable to Japanese! The English VA for Excel just drives me nuts. No more, I beg of you!

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer also puts the dub voices in the menus of Mahoromatic... boooo

In happier news... I should have Mahoro #3, Chobits #2, and X:FIVE in my mailbox on monday ^_^/

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

You've obviously never seen the Excel Saga disks. If you had, I would guess that you would find them as annoying as I did. I don't mind silent menus, or just music, but bad English VAs have got to go!

John.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
The debate about Animatrix will be interesting if anyone takes it up. It's easy to claim OSL for both sides of the story really. If you figure that even if the outline was written by the Wachowskis, it was translated to Japanese and then expanded and rewritten. And then translated back to English and odds are there are differences between the two.

My *preference* is for Japanese when it comes to anime. It also, with a show like this, becomes a necessity. With an R rating for the violence and potentially the language, I have to watch it "after hours", which means late at night while my family is asleep. So it's kept low. There'd be no way to listen to it in English (and most US "English subtitles" are close captions really, and they get bothersome with the descriptions for me).

The only track that I (believe) admitted did not fit well with this was Flight of Osiris for obvious reasons.

Either way, sue me, I like to listen to Japanese. *shrug* I don't bash English dubs just because they're dubs. I don't demand they be stricken from the process. I don't badmouth every English VA just cause they're an English VA.

I just have my own preference.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You've obviously never seen the Excel Saga disks. If you had, I would guess that you would find them as annoying as I did. I don't mind silent menus, or just music, but bad English VAs have got to go!
The thing is, Excel is supposed to be annoying. So, I guess the english VA did a good job. :D

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jason:

I understand that, but to me, for this series, there is a world of difference in the tone of voice between the English VA and the Japanese seiyuu. I don't have anything against English VAs in general, it's just that the way she does her voice in Excel Saga really grates on my ears.

John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks