What's new

About to ceiling mount my speakers (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Eric
Hey, look, a room diagram!

server7.pictiger.com/img/211843/reality-and-real-world/room-2--.php

Everything is pretty much to scale.
Yellow-seating areas
Blue-entertainment cabinet
Green-TV
Red- windows and door
Numbers- proposed speaker placement for 7.1
X-prime seating location

Due to the lack of walls and arrangement of the room, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to mount my surrounds to the ceiling.
Odds are, the wire that came with my speakers when I bought them arne't good for running in the attic. Which, means, I need to buy more cable! So once I get the measurements the wire will run, I plan on adding about three feet to that length, for insurance room.
Where is a good place to buy cl2 rated speaker wire? I've heard good things about monoprice.

So, ultimately, my purpose for this thread... does the speaker placement look right?
Is there any thing you can warn me about while climbing through the attic (falling through the ceiling aside)?

I don't think I'm going to need fishing tape, but maybe I'll just be making this harder on myself.

So yea, everything looking groovy thus far?

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
I have an idea about speaker placement, but I will let people that have done more research answer that question for you.

What I will suggest is speaker wire from www.bluejeanscable.com for price and the Belden 5000 series Cable is rated for in wall installation. I am in the process of figuring how much wire that I will need and I am planning on ordering mine from this company.

Hope this helps!
JJ

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Looks pretty good, except I’d move the sub to the left corner.

Kkeep in mind that any speakers mounted above ear level should be inverted. This gets the tweeters closer to ear level, which has the sonic effect of lowering them a foot or so. Not to mention ,in your case it gets the tweeter further away from the ceiling.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Eric
Inverted?
Meaning, the grill faces the ceiling? That the top of the speaker is facing downward?
I was originally going to have the speakers aiming down a bit towards the sweet spot, so inverting it to me can mean a handful of things.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

My thoughts on what he meant by inverted was if the speakers were mounted on the walls above your head and not the ceiling. So if they were mounted on the wall then you would want to tip the speakers at an angle (or inverted) toward the audience.

This will not apply to you since you are mounting the speakers in the ceiling, which will be pointing at the audience already. Hopefully I am correct in this interpretation, Wayne please chime in if that is not what you meant.

Also, I would have the back speakers maybe a little closer to the sitting area and not against the back wall. This doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be directly over you head either. Just an observation.

JJ

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

The latter. People traditionally position speakers with the tweeter up and the woofer down, and that’s fine if they’re physically on the ground or on stands. In that position, the woofer couples with the boundary (.e., the floor in the case of large speakers), increasing bass response, and the tweeter is at or near ear level and further from the floor and the reflections it causes.

But if you position them up high, you should turn them upside down so that the tweeter stays as close to ear level as possible, and again the woofer better couples with the boundary – the ceiling in this case, if they’re high enough. Make sense? :)

The only caveat is that any grille emblems will end up up-side down if the grilles are one-directional, but they can usually be removed if need bd.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Eric
In order to do that I would have to move the keyhole plate on my speaker do that the ceiling mounts work.
I'm kinda nervous about drilling holes into a speaker. Maybe that's just me, but... yea. Kinda worried there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks