What's new

A question regarding MOD Movies and Series (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Have you been surprised to discover the disks were PRESSED instead of Burned?

I've been lucky to get two of them on pressed disks, Shazam! and Space Stars. Go ahead and post away my friends.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Regulus said:
Have you been surprised to discover the disks were PRESSED instead of Burned?

I've been lucky to get two of them on pressed disks, Shazam! and Space Stars. Go ahead and post away my friends.
On a per disk basis, I think MODS are more costly to produce. So I think WB has come up with the most logical approach, which is to first do a run of pressed disks in a low risk quantity, and then MOD from there on out. That is why many of us order earlier instead of waiting for later sales since we want to improve our chances of getting a "pressed" disk from WB directly.

That said, when it comes to ordering from others than WB there is a bit of an unknown no mater when you order. For example, in the past it would seem that vendors working under "Super D" (e.g., DeepDiscount, ImportCDs, and DVDPlanet) are sending out "pressed" disks while Amazon does DVD-R's.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I purchased my copys of Shazam! and Space Stars from "The Big River" and they were pressed instead of "burnt".

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Regulus said:
I purchased my copys of Shazam! and Space Stars from "The Big River" and they were pressed instead of "burnt".
That's interesting. My understanding is that Amazon has the ability to "burn" WBA disks that not all other vendors currently support. That is why I always assumed theirs would be burned. Just another reason I always buy from WB directly when I know they did an initial run of pressed disks, because you just never quite know for sure what you will get from someone else. Also, for whatever reason Amazon doesn't discount WBA titles (at least the one's I've tended to monitor) like some of the Super D sites.

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
I have a question about Warner Archive. I have bought Shazam, Alice, FBI and Eight Is Enough from WA because I heard that they were definitely pressed thru them. However, other Warner series I bought from Amazon like Medical Center and animated stuff like Goober & Ghost Chasers were burnt. If I had purchased them from Warner Archive directly would they have been pressed?

Are Warner Archive movies bought directly from them pressed?

Would Sony TV series that are burnt from Amazon be pressed copies from Warner Archive?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think smithbrad answered your first question: the earlier you order them, the more likely they are to be pressed. Always order them on Day One from the Archive and you should be safe from here on out. No guarantees, I guess

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
And only certain ones have a pressed selection. For the longest time it was only burned period. They started doing pressed ones for bigger releases because they were expecting large orders that paying for the pressing was not a big deal. Go to WA's site and look for the replicated disc category to show the ones they have pressed available. If it doesn't show up in that list then they all should be burned.

In some ways Warner itself may have underestimated the idea for a lot of these shows not selling well was only because of the cost of making so many to fill store shelves. Which so did a lot of consumers. Get rid of that problem and now a lot of these movies and shows are making money for WB.

The pressing a batch at first really helps cement the logic. As while some of those still may have gone in the red with millions pressed for stores, a batch or so are able to sell just fine. Which also takes the collector's issue into the analysis. Since i'm sure that's what caused bad figures for a lot of the tv show sets. Where the first batch sold well they restocked shelves and most of the potential buyers were already content and they had too much inventory that wasn't selling, which brought us here in the first place.

And i'm not that surprised some of the other retailers get some of the pressed ones to resell. Their orders no doubt have to be put in early, so they get some from the original batch. Amazon on the other hand is burning their own copies. (But i did notice on Amazon reviews, it seems Amazon gets a bit more bad burns than i have read than WA themselves)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
topanga said:
I have a question about Warner Archive. I have bought Shazam, Alice, FBI and Eight Is Enough from WA because I heard that they were definitely pressed thru them. However, other Warner series I bought from Amazon like Medical Center and animated stuff like Goober & Ghost Chasers were burnt. If I had purchased them from Warner Archive directly would they have been pressed?

Are Warner Archive movies bought directly from them pressed?

Would Sony TV series that are burnt from Amazon be pressed copies from Warner Archive?
If a disk is *not* in this section on Warner Archives it is *not* pressed but burnt. The link is to the "Replicated disks" section of the site (under "Movies" on the navigation bar). While it's under the "Movies" tab it also includes TV seasons that get pressed copies. If a title is in that section you *should* receive a pressed copy when you order but timing is everything. Should you order when there's low stock and pressed copies become depleted before your order is filled you'll receive a burnt copy. The majority of titles made available do *not* receive a pressed version so it's critical to check the Replicated Disks section when ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.