What's new
World Wide Stereo

A question about my first setup (1 Viewer)

Razorskub

Auditioning
Real Name
G
Howdy there. I just recently acquired a pioneer sx-316 with speakers for free and I just wanted to make sure I was putting it all together correctly. I have a ps3, wii, tv and cable box. The tv seems to have a 3.5mm headphone and optical out and nothing more. My thought was to leave everything plugged into the tv as is and just connect to the amp from the tv with the toslink cable, but I worried I wouldn't get the full signal from the ps3 for movies and such. The package didn't come with speaker wire so I'm just waiting for that before I can actually listen for myself. The only other thought I had was to plug the ps3 via toslink and Plug the cable box into the amp with a regular audio RCA cable but my concern there is stuff plugged into the tv (like the wii and any videos plugged into the tv's USB port) won't be heard thru the external speakers. Many thanks for any help, sorry if the problem seems trivial, but I hope to learn more so that perhaps I can educate others in the future

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The optical (toslink) output from the tv is probably stereo (not 5.1) so it wouldn't be any better than the RCA cables, but you should get 2 channel audio from everything through that output. . There are toslink to coaxial digital converters (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY) or an optical switcher http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Selector-Switch/dp/B0014CT6Q2 - not sure how well those work) but I'm not sure how much money, if any, you want to throw at the problem. You may have to decide what piece of equipment is more important and plug that in to the receiver with an optical cable and use the RCA's for the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks