What's new

A PEEK AT THE BOY FRIEND (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, I know there's another thread and it's a really good one. But I got lucky and got the Blu-ray and watched tonight and there was no way I wasn't going to give this its own thread, just so it doesn't get lost.

You all know I am one picky person about color. For me, not having correct color is the ruination of a transfer for me (or even a fading or faded print). I don't know why color isn't, for example, as important as sound to devotees of Blu-ray. They will scream if a 1940s movie has a lossy soundtrack, like anyone could tell the difference between it and lossless in a blind listening test – they could not, they’d just be guessing (not talking about modern sound). They will scream if they perceive the ratio is off a millimeter or if the top of hair is cut off at the top of the frame when that's most likely the way the shot was framed. But they will usually not say a word about color. This I will never understand. If a movie is a color film, then the color is part of that film's emotional landscape and is as important as every other element. So, yes, if a movie has off color then I am not involved in the film as I should be, I am at a distance, just as I would be with lousy sound, milky black-and-white, incorrect ratio, or whatever.

I was so excited when the laserdisc came out, and so disappointed in the color I could barely watch it, even though I was grateful to finally see the longer version. I have a long history with the film. I fell in love with it when I saw it on its opening night at the Picwood Theater in Westwood with not too many people in the audience, and I stayed in love with it on the six or seven subsequent viewings during its brief run there - I kept dragging everyone I knew to see it. Then the DVD of The Boy Friend came out and while it was better, the color was still way off, too brown, and nothing like the eye-popping color the film should have. In fact, I began to doubt my sanity about the color, and feared I'd never be able to have people finally say, "Gee, you were right." Well, I was. I also liked the film less and less with those brown viewings.

Tonight I watched the new Blu-ray of this wonderful film and from the first shot, the close-up of Twiggy, I knew I was in for a treat, and I knew the film had absolutely perfect color, the same bold Technicolor-like color I'd seen back in 1971 at the Picwood. And as the film went on, I was suddenly and completely involved, completely enraptured - everything worked better because it looked RIGHT. I can't say enough about this perfect transfer. And the sound - the film was released in mono here and to hear this with glorious stereo is De Thrill, if you get my meaning. As to the transfer, the detail is incredible, the contrast is incredible, it's rock-solid, and sparkles like the diamond it is.

And today, the film absolutely looks like a masterpiece. Ken Russell's decision to make it a show within a movie was brilliant - in 1971 had MGM made a straight film of the musical people would have run from the theater screaming (sadly, the film that Russell did make was a box-office disaster here in the US, but did well elsewhere). His concept works beautifully. The cast is superb. Twiggy is so endearing and lovable and perfect as Polly and the ASM. Tommy Tune looks so impossibly young and is so charming and what a dancer. But the entire cast is incredible - you just don't have people like Max Adrian, Bryan Pringle, Murray Melvin or any of these kinds of actors, really. And then you get Glenda Jackson, whose cameo is hilarious.

But what really shines through are the unique and stunning arrangements/orchestrations of Peter Maxwell Davies - his work is simply stupendous (and his musical supervisor, Peter Greenwell, is hilarious as the pit pianist with the endless falling ashes) - and boy do they sound great on this Blu-ray. The costumes of Shirley Russell are fantabulous, and the sets of Tony Walton - I don't know that I've ever seen more inventive, breathtaking, and JOYFUL sets in a movie. He should have won an Oscar. But then he would have to have been nominated. The film should have been up for everything that year – it was nominated for one music award, which it lost to Fiddler on the Roof.

So, the bottom line is you will want this. You will want this now. You will want this before now. You will not want to be silly and wait for two dollars off. You can thank me and Robert A. Harris later.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You all know I am one picky person about color. For me, not having correct color is the ruination of a transfer for me (or even a fading or faded print). I don't know why color isn't, for example, as important as sound to devotees of Blu-ray. They will scream if a 1940s movie has a lossy soundtrack, like anyone could tell the difference between it and lossless in a blind listening test – they could not, they’d just be guessing (not talking about modern sound). They will scream if they perceive the ratio is off a millimeter or if the top of hair is cut off at the top of the frame when that's most likely the way the shot was framed. But they will usually not say a word about color. This I will never understand. If a movie is a color film, then the color is part of that film's emotional landscape and is as important as every other element. So, yes, if a movie has off color then I am not involved in the film as I should be, I am at a distance, just as I would be with lousy sound, milky black-and-white, incorrect ratio, or whatever.

I wish I could "like" this statement a thousand times.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Indeed!

As I've already confessed in RAH's thread to not having seen the film, I have no more reputation left to defend, so I'll just say that my copy has been on pre-order and I greatly look forward to devoting the perfect evening to it.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks Bruce. I never knew you were a poet. Guess it's from looking at Tiggy's iridescent smile. I also saw this film on opening day in NYC. & I have this on order from Warner Archive. I got an email from Warner Archive about a month ago offering THE BOY FRIEND 30% off for pre-order. So I did and I hope to have a similar ecstatic aesthetic experience very soon.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Great review, Bruce.

It's all about the color. If it's problematic, it can kill a screening.

The Boy Friend has a major color attribute that it shares with My Fair Lady, and that is the proper setting, and fighting for color as an absolute.

Close to correct is akin to being a little bit pregnant

The connection here is in the costumes.

Pure Black.

Pure White.

Gray.

Off white.

Get them balanced, and alls well with the world.

Don't, and...

Best not to go there.

As examples, two sequences in MFL took weeks to get correct, primarily because of differential fade on the original negative, combined with oxidation, and other problems at the heads and tails of shots.

Take a look at the 20 minutes or so between On the Street Where You Live, and the Intermission. Also, reference the Ascot.

Follow up with, as an example, the Charleston number from Boy Friend, and you'll see where all of this links. I would presume that there was no fade on Boy Friend, but the same edict rings true.

Colors, especially those close to, or pure black and white, need hand-holding, and the work performed on Boy Friend is a wonderful example of what perfect color should look like

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And then, once all the blacks and whites are in place, there's the necessity to deal with black, with just a bit of air.

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The difference is that My Fair Lady was never at the mercy of James T. Aubrey, and in that instance Jack L. Warner seemed to want to mend fences with George Cukor regarding the cutting of A Star is Born so he let it run almost three hours long. The Boy Friend actually had to be put back together again. Luckily they kept the missing scenes, considering this was the same period when M-G-M was systematically tearing up its backlot and selling off its props, ignoring Debbie Reynolds' pleas to try and monetize it as a theme park a la Universal and essentially sticking it to Judy Garland yet again just like he did at CBS. Unfortunately, they weren't 100% consistent about their archival policy; only one of the two Blake Edwards movies made there during this period survive as originally intended.

Sometimes it amazes me how resilient MGM has been as an actual production company, even though it's still a pale shadow of its former self. They survived the death of Irving Thalberg, the firing of Louis B. Mayer who arguably made the studio what it was at its peak, the post-Dore Schary malaise that brought in a number of different studio heads, each turning out more flops than hits, until it started bouncing back and forth between Kirk Kerkorian, Ted Turner (who gobbled up their own catalog and left UA behind [except for Gilligan's Island] once they'd taken it off Transamerica's hands), Giancarlo Paretti (who almost brought it to its knees) and now a compendium of investors including Sony, who wants it mainly so they can have the rights to James Bond. But the days when it was a self-contained world unto itself are gone with the wind.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] The Boy Friend has a major color attribute that it shares with My Fair Lady, and that is the proper setting, and fighting for color as an absolute. [...]
Fantastic !!

Without the benefit of yet seeing The Boy Friend, my reading of the haineshisway review drew up specific images for me. So descriptively articulate was his praise of its color and definition, that I could only equate his non-groupie zeal and reality based joy to matching what I experienced with the My Fair Lady restoration. And even if haineshisway was marginally off within my imagination of what The Boy Friend will expectedly look and sound like, I knew that this was a "Run, Don't Walk" kind of fare. But Holy Cow, Mr. haineshisway, you must have really nailed it; as even RAH has confirmed your writings to be a match, in terms of all that is so splendiferous about what we have with My Fair Lady and, now, The Boy Friend.

As it is, both haineshisway AND RAH have now sold the film to me, again; even though I already ordered it , yesterday. Too late to place a 2-Day delivery on the first one; so, maybe, I better buy it twice.

Congratulations, Mr. haineshisway !!!

P.S.
Maybe the Academy ought to create a new category.
How about an Oscar for Best Overlooked Film, from a particular period?
The citation shall read as thus: "For the filmmaker and artist whose decades long vision was finally realized, but for the undying efforts of archivists, historians and technicians who serve for the preservation of our motion picture heritage". This, of course, would be a double Oscar; with the recipients being from both sides of the story.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
WOW, wow and wow !!!
Just saw "The Boy Friend" for the first time, on Tuesday night.

Mr. haineshisway articulated a review that was right on the money.
And RAH's discussion from Post # 6 - about "Pure Black. Pure White. Gray. Off White." proved to be a sight to behold.

Many have made mentions to the Busby Berkley nods, within "The Boy Friend"; but I must say that one of the musical numbers made me wonder if Georges Melies was also of influence on this work by Ken Russell. Phenomenal colors, to say the least.

Looking for perfection in vision and sound?
"The Boy Friend" will give it to you in Spades, Diamonds, Clubs and Hearts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks