What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A PEEK AT BLACK WIDOW (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
For me, one of the most criminally underrated movies of the 1980s. Even though it was mildly successful, critics didn't love it much and it really hasn't found much traction since, unlike a few other 80s films. I saw it when it came out and loved it, and it's just become one of those movies I return to over and over, like Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Court Jester. Debra Winger and Theresa Russell both shine here, even though it takes some getting used to what Miss Russell is doing. The rest of the cast is excellent straight down the line. Bob Rafelson did a really good job as director - no showing off, just telling the story and that story, by Ron Bass, is compelling and keeps me coming back for more. The score is also exemplary - it's by Michael Small and it's what real movie music is all about - and yes, it's available on Kritzerland :)

The photography is wonderful - it marked Conrad Hall's return to the screen after a decade. The transfer is very nice with perfect color, good detail, and a dirt speck every now and then, which is so minor it's not even worth mentioning. Not sure if it's a brand new transfer or not, and it doesn't really matter, as it looks really nice.

If you've never seen this, it's worth taking a chance on if you like Body Heat and other films of that ilk from the 1980s. The only Blu-ray review I found was from some guy I never heard of on a site I never heard of - he likened it to several Brian De Palma films - I'm afraid that comparison is so far from reality it's not even funny. This film resembles no Brian De Palma film that I know of, and frankly I prefer this to about 90% of Mr. De Palma's films. But that's neither here nor there. I had a great time watching it again and am listening to its fantastic soundtrack as I write this.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have never seen Black Widow but this BLU is on my wishlist and will probably order it in my next Twilight Time batch. I used to own the Intrada CD release because I liked to collect scores of Michael Small KLUTE being my favorite.

First time I recall seeing Theresa Russell was in Wild Things which she was great in, fun trashy hot summer noir, small part she had some great lines of dialogue. Wish she would have been the star of a great night time soap to really chew up the scenery, When I finally got to see Bad Timing which was directed by her former husband Nicholas Roeg the film stunned me. I didn't know what to expect from the film but it was a journey I was grateful I didn't know the storyline and just the movie unfold. Brilliant work. Eureka was also an interesting film and I am sure I will watch it again rumor has it per WIKIpedia it is a possible upcoming Twilight Time release.

So I am excited to finally see Black Widow, I feel like the less I know about the film the more I will love it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Powell&Pressburger said:
I have never seen Black Widow but this BLU is on my wishlist and will probably order it in my next Twilight Time batch. I used to own the Intrada CD release because I liked to collect scores of Michael Small KLUTE being my favorite.

First time I recall seeing Theresa Russell was in Wild Things which she was great in, fun trashy hot summer noir, small part she had some great lines of dialogue. Wish she would have been the star of a great night time soap to really chew up the scenery, When I finally got to see Bad Timing which was directed by her former husband Nicholas Roeg the film stunned me. I didn't know what to expect from the film but it was a journey I was grateful I didn't know the storyline and just the movie unfold. Brilliant work. Eureka was also an interesting film and I am sure I will watch it again rumor has it per WIKIpedia it is a possible upcoming Twilight Time release.

So I am excited to finally see Black Widow, I feel like the less I know about the film the more I will love it.
Hoping you enjoy it and let us know your thoughts.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll be glad to review it when I get my hands on it. I haven't received any of the four Twilight Time releases I'm slated to review yet.

You weren't alone in your praise for the film. I was writing for a newspaper syndicate back in 1987, and I had Black Widow in the #10 slot on my best films of the year list. (#1 was Broadcast News.)

Thanks for giving us a sneak peek.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I saw it via VHS rental back when it first came out ( right after release in theaters), and it was a pleasant surprise. I thought Debra Winger turned in a vulnerable but powerful performance. And I like her work -- this movie was a turning point of sorts, to the downside. I think she was an A-lister, and if this movie had been more of a hit, she would have extended her ride at the top. But after this one, it seemed to be more hit-or-miss as the years went by.

I need to check this one out and the one with Robert Redford ( Legal Eagles?). I also liked it -- usually it's Winger's performance that draws me in.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, this just went to the top of my watch list for tomorrow night. (Can't get to it today!)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Fine film and better score. Michael Small at his best. From what I recall there supposedly was an entire subplot deleted from Black Widow that delved further into the relationship between Debra Winger and Theresa Russell characters.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My only TT order (so far) for the 4th Qtr of 2015. I've been dying to see this film (pardon the pun) and Theresa Russell is one of my Hollywood Dream Queens.

It bears repeating that I have a thing for beautiful actresses named Russell:

Theresa Russell
Jane Russell
Keri Russell
Betsy Russell

Will post my thoughts after I check this out.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Kyrsten Brad said:
My only TT order (so far) for the 4th Qtr of 2015. I've been dying to see this film (pardon the pun) and Theresa Russell is one of my Hollywood Dream Queens.

It bears repeating that I have a thing for beautiful actresses named Russell:

Theresa Russell
Jane Russell
Keri Russell
Betsy Russell

Will post my thoughts after I check this out.
UxSfPii.jpg

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This is one where the Twilight Time price point of $29.99 is a problem for me. Kind of wouldn't mind hearing the score and watching again, but not worth being one of my more expensive purchases.

The other thing is the fixed price with no chance of discount takes all the thrill of the hunt out of it, removes all impulse to pull trigger at any particular time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I actually viewed this film during it's theatrical run and have owned it on various home video formats since then. If I remember correctly, there weren't many people in that film showing audience. I have this disc and plan on watching it in the very near future.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Seeing this reminds me that they should issue Ken Russell's Whore (1991) again. This was another of Theresa Russell's starring roles, so this was a Ken Russell film, starring Theresa Russell, which always amused me, seeing as they're not related.

This was the film that Ken Russell made in response to Pretty Woman, and it's much more reviled than Black Widow. Perhaps it's because I never believed the sugar-coated story of Pretty Woman (though I acknowledge that it's well-made and competently acted), that I found myself completely sympathizing with Ken Russell's intent, and for that reason, I enjoy the film, even though it's not one of his better efforts. It's been treated quite badly right from the start, slapped with the then-new NC-17, and only released uncut on VHS in Europe, I believe, as all of the European DVDs seem to use a cut version. For some reason, I was obsessed with getting an uncut anamorphic widescreen DVD (never mind Blu-ray), as the same 1.33:1 video master has been used everywhere in the world, which really isn't fair to any Ken Russell film. To that end, I think I have about 5 DVD editions (all from Europe, the last US release was on VHS/LD) But as I remember, it's gloriously trashy, and Ms. Russell is pretty good in the title role. It's a shame she was never a bigger star after the 80s, but maybe she wanted it that way.

I've never seen Black Widow, but I might give the TT disc a buy at some point

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
McCrutchy said:
and Ms. Russell is pretty good in the title role. It's a shame she was never a bigger star after the 80s, but maybe she wanted it that way.

Many, many years ago, there was a four part TV series called Hollywood Women. 95% was superficial and trashy. 5% was really good. At one point Theresa Russell was being interviewed about being an actress in Hollywood and she said that the competition was really fierce.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I'm a pushover for classy wallows like this. Black Widow might have been trashy in concept, but certainly not in execution. As previously noted, it's like everyone above and below the line were pushing the envelope of their craft to make this B programmer feel more like an A.

And it worked. Brilliantly. Kudos TT!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well got to view the TT Blu. Suffice to say another quality offering from Twilight Time.

Theresa Russell, a truly hypnotic & beautiful actress just like I remember her back then.

BlackWidow_Blu.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I might have to revisit this. I saw it at the time and didn't think it was very good. Typical 80's gloss-dross, as I called it. But all the love here makes me think I might have short-changed it. Damn... more $ unexpectedly out the door this month! LOL.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JohnMor said:
I might have to revisit this. I saw it at the time and didn't think it was very good. Typical 80's gloss-dross, as I called it. But all the love here makes me think I might have short-changed it. Damn... more $ unexpectedly out the door this month! LOL.

Same here. I enjoyed the film when it first came out but I didn't think it was anything special. Like you, I get the impression that I need to see this film again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks