What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
If anyone has the DVD that preceded the Blu-ray (same transfer for both) you'll see where MGM screwed up in the overture when it suddenly goes to a green color then switches to the correct color.
That also includes the 1998/1999 MGM AC-3/DTS LDs

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Do you like it’s end results, or is there more that should be fixed?
The 60th Anniversary Transfer (broadcast on TCM) has the correct Overture/Main Titles:

Blue (Maria section) [the incorrect 2011 BD/4K iTunes has Purple]
No Fades or Dims (during the Red-to-Blue transition/dissolve, whatever)

I wish I could show a picture or a video sample with no sound, to provide a tad better evidence, but since I come from Denmark, but I can't, because it's not available in my place.

I'll leave "DarkVader" to fill you in, so I don't trouble this thread, for a while.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wish I could show a picture or a video sample with no sound, to provide a tad better evidence, but since I come from Denmark, but I can't, because it's not available in my place.

I'll leave "DarkVader" to fill you in, so I don't trouble this thread, for a while.

Ooooh... you're a Dane? Maybe that's partly why there seemed some bit of oddness/quirk in the (mis)communications even though your English seems very good otherwise.

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Interntationally by Warner Home Video (selected titles) for MGM/UA Home Video up until 1998/1999 where Warner bought Turner Entertainment and MGM/UA Home Video became MGM Home Entertainment.
Warner was the "silent" (in the sense their logo did not appear on the package/artwork) distributor of MGM titles for North America from mid--to--late 90s.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Read back in the thread. I was the guinea pig/idiot who bought that and no it's the same old, same old and does NOT look good. Unless it's been updated in the past five months or whenever I took the chance.
Conclusion? The only fixed version of Overture/Main Titles is the 60th Anniversary transfer (a transfer still not revealed on today's Home Video), broadcast on TCM.

It's a pity/shame, MGM didn't supply the 60th Anniversary Master to either 4K UHD or iTunes.

Still waiting for some 70mm 6-Track Mix on a correct home video release along with the correct master broadcast on TCM (60th AE)...

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Fortunately, West Side Story has better odds of being fixed and released on a 4K/UHD than Robert Wise’s other Best Picture winner, in that it was a United Artist film and not out from 20th Century-Fox/Disney. Or, at least, one would hope this that this is the case.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Fortunately, West Side Story has better odds of being fixed and released on a 4K/UHD than Robert Wise’s other Best Picture winner, in that it was a United Artist film and not out from 20th Century-Fox/Disney. Or, at least, one would hope this that this is the case.
We'll indeed see who has most interest in releasing the film (with new, fixed 60th Anniversary transfer):

A: MGM Studios, Inc. (with the help of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment).
B: A sublicensor (fx. Kino Lorber [the definitive licensor [US/Canada wise] I can think of), along with an International Home Video Distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks