What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The VVitch (redux) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The VVitch was shot on an Arri Alexa with classic glass in 2.8k and finished in 2k. But it's one of those films for which the up-rez works, and HDR becomes a major player.

The film is a magnificent tale of the Colonial American society in the late 1600s, when witchcraft was in flower, and I finally agree with a back cover quote. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone calls it "Mightily impressive... Brimming with beauty and terror."

For those unaware, this was the film that introduced Anya Taylor-Joy (soon to be heard in The Super Mario Movie) in a major role.

When I heard that director Robert Eggers and DP Jarin Blaschke were re-timing the film, and releasing it in the UK via Second Sight, I was wondering if this was going to be a simple double dip. Even if they were unhappy with the original Lionsgate release, how different might their correct / official version be?

I waited until the new 4k was released as a non-boxed set and requested.

First, I reminded my eyes what the first version looked like. I recall it being nothing special in terms of color, contrast and HDR.

Then I sampled the new "corrected" version, and to my eyes, the new variant pops off the screen with far richer blacks, better colors and an overall far better use of high dynamic range.

To put it simply I was wondering if witchcraft might have been involved, as the new version blows away the original.

I generally don't suggest that cinephiles upgrade from one 4k to another, but in this case, I'll do so - providing that you love the film as much as I.

For those who have never seen the film, or don't yet own a 4k, this (Second Sight) is the version to get. And the film may just give you an entire new respect for goats.

Image - 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS -HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Lionsgate 4k - If you love the film

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
First, I reminded my eyes what the first version looked like. I recall it being nothing special in terms of color, contrast and HDR.
Thanks - by "first version," did you compare to the original Lionsgate UHD or the Blu-Ray?

On the Team Deakins podcast, Eggers recommended that people watch the Blu-ray over the old UHD, as he did not approve the original HDR grade.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is the 4K released by Universal last month from the new master or the old one?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Must be Canada only. Presumably Lionsgate has the US rights.
It's listed at The Other Site as being a Canadian release, though they list it as coming from "Elevation" rather than Universal (the street date agrees with what Nick posted). Based on other releases from Elevation, they appear to have some sort of business relationship with Lionsgate.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not sure on the CA item, but it appears the prior CA Lionsgate is now OOP so I'd bet this newer Elevation item is just a package of the same discs

Elevation appears to have picked up the rights to a bunch of Lionsgate titles in Canada over the last several years and re-released several of the old LG discs with their
own banners. The items I can find comments on have all suggested direct re-ports of the prior LG items - same specs, same supplements. I haven't found anyone
with a disc that checked file dates or discid numbers

"Since its debut in late 2013, Elevation Pictures has become the leading independent distributor in Canada, releasing both critically acclaimed and commercially successful film"
"In July 2014, Elevation signed a home distribution deal with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment to distribute their titles on Blu-ray and DVD in the majority of Canada, "

Interesting that the UNIVERSAL UPC prefix "191329 ------" is also used for new Elevation Picture disc
The Elevation 2016 CA BD/DVD has a different Universal prefix 025192
but the original Lionsgate CA 2019 4K/BD has the LG UPC prefix 031398

Last edited:

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I was so disappointed with the original 4k that I did end up ordering the Second Sight box set (not knowing that a regular release would follow). I do not regret it though, the box set is tastefully done and the new transfer is great. I love this film and finally the UHD bests the bluray.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If I live to be 100, I will never call this movie "VVitch". I have no time for Eggers' pretensions - it's "Witch"! :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure I believe it, but they claim the stylized title is because the letter "W" was not in common use at that time, though I had no idea they were still adding letters to the alphabet as recently as 1630. I would have thought it was pretty well locked down by then.

The spelling of the title "The VVitch" is how the word was written in the story's period because the letter "W" was not yet in common use at the time. (IMDb)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not sure I believe it, but they claim the stylized title is because the letter "W" was not in common use at that time, though I had no idea they were still adding letters to the alphabet as recently as 1630. I would have thought it was pretty well locked down by then.
I believe it had less to do with adding letters, and more toward the lead type.

If you examine type of the era, you’ll see the letters S, F and W (may be more) were adapted as the type would break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks