What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Defintion (10 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What's all this talk about the yellow layer being faded? It was my understanding that the new restoration was derived at using the Ultra-Resolution process from the separation masters. Since the o-neg wasn't used in the process, the faded yellow layer is not an issue. I don't know maybe I'm missing something.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Of course it isn't as there is nothing to argue about. We see this differently, and in my opinion, you are so far off the deep end you have left little room for rebuttal.

As I said, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

There may have been some problems with the separation masters as well. There was some talk in Mr. Harris' interview with Ned Price about how the Technicolor dye process was able to, for lack of a better term, add color where color didn't exist on the original negative even in 1955. Apparently that ability is very hard to duplicate even with modern computer color processing.

Makes you wish there was still a lab doing the Technicolor dye transfer process.

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen any version of this film on DVD; however, I did look at the comparison shots on DVD Beaver. Colorwise, the HD DVD looks identical to the SD DVD CE that was released in 2006. The HD DVD shots were taken off of a TV screen. Not an ideal method by a longshot; however, even with compromised screen shots, the detail in the HD version is noticeably improved over the DVD. If you have no issue with color accuracy then I would recommend the HD DVD version of the film. For the record, I have the HD DVD of this film. Color issues aside, this film looks pretty good. Personally, after looking at it again, I would say the color palette is out of whack. I think the color is a liitle too yellow. Most of the main characters are caucasion, but a lot of times they looked like they all had jaundice due to a yellow cast in skin tones. However, once you get involved in the story, the color issues take a backseat.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Richard,

I didn't mean to suggest a negative connotation with the term "rhetoric". My appologies if it came across that way.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Even if that were so there are solutions. They are costly, though. You can grade any image parts separately, for examples skin tones. It's a lot of work but it can be done.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
An interesting idea, but too problematic.
No, it's best been done in the usual way.

If the yellow layer is really that bad, there are other elements and other negatives and prints that could be sourced. There are original dye transfer prints in excellent condition owned by private collectors who would cheerfully make them available.

But under the circumstances, the single most important thing would be to bring a different set of eyes and a different sensibility to the console.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Searchers-John...7031106&sr=1-3

Buy it.
This edition is almost exactly what John Ford and Winton C. Hoch intended for audiences to see. I keep thinking and saying this standard DVD came out in 1998, but I just noticed it's from 1997.

With regard to the new HD DVD, I agree with RAH, in his initial post, that it's an upgrade in every way from its new standard DVD counterpart, but the color is utterly and completely wrong, and so aesthetically destructive, that it's best ignored. It is inconceivable to me that a major studio could perpetrate such a violation of a major film.

Don't buy the HD DVD and don't buy the Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Warner Home Video owes every customer a refund or a corrected disc.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

That's inappropriate behavior here.
I'm not going to waste time exchanging putdowns with you.
My posts are sincere and film-specific.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Your intention may be sincere, but the thread got tiresome too many pages ago because of the tone of voice in your posts. I believe the point you want to make is obvious to everyone by now.

My HD DVD is still shrink-wrapped, but I plan to enjoy it soon. I don't understand why that has to get on your nerves so much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, your posting behavior in this thread hasn't exactly been the best with a condescending tone to many of your comments that some of us have picked up on and have reacted to in a negative manner.

Frankly, if any of us can't discuss this subject matter without having an air of superiority to our posts or making comments with personal references towards other members, perhaps, it's time to take a step back from this discussion. Otherwise, let's not continue to ruin this informative thread with such behavior or remarks. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
John Wayne is probably my favorite actor of his time. The Searchers is such a great film and an important film not to be missed regardless of the color problems. We may not be totally satisfied with the transfer, but let's enjoy what we have. Life's too short.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
AL, your a poet, thank you. Love this movie. Warner is a class act by the way. If they offered to pay me back, and take the disc id have to turn them down. I like the disc just fine.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Mine is at least opened, but haven´t watched it yet either. I sampled it, though and it looked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks