What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Nest – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When a friend knowledgeable in film suggested that I see The Nest, I went for it.

Zero reading of reviews. Zero discussion. Went in cold, presuming that it was some sort of sci-fi / horror indie.

Before loading it into a player, I looked at the cover and noted Jude Law and Carrie Coon and "from the Director of Martha Marcy May Marlene," which I did not recall as being in sci-fi horror genre. That would be Sean Durbin.

The film begins in The Colonies. It's the mid-80s. And what appears to be a morning ritual - a husband bringing a cup of coffee to his wife in bed. An important job offer from his old firm in the UK, and the film moves continents.

The family, (Law, Coon and the two kids, Oona Roche (Jennifer Anniston's daughter on The Morning Show, and Charlie Shotwell (coming in Morbius) seems to be coming apart at the seams.

Terrific cast, terrific set-up as they move to a huge 17th-18th century farm / manor house in Surrey. Huge, and presumably very difficult to heat.

These things are obviously going to come out of the second basement.

Finally, I got it.

Or possibly not.
Then there are problems with the marriage, and while I wait for creatures I take note of some rather extraordinary acting with Ms Coon at the center. All one apparently has to do is point the camera at her, and she tells story without ever opening her mouth.

Best to look into her bio, and all connections will be answered.

Just incredible. And Mr. Law ain't bad either.

I'll not go into the creatures, but at only 107 minutes, with thanks to Covid and closed theaters, I finally saw what I feel is one of the finest films 2020.

Shot on film. Finished as a 4k DI.

A gorgeous Blu-ray from IFC Films via Shout Factory.

For those who appreciate a real story.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Then there are problems with the marriage, and while I wait for creatures I take note of some rather extraordinary acting with Ms Coon at the center. All one apparently has to do is point the camera at her, and she tells story without ever opening her mouth.

Yup. That's pretty much Carrie Coon in a nutshell.

I've not heard of this one. I'll have to acquire it. Thank you.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nominated for a bunch of Canadian Screen Awards (winners announded Thursday, 5/20)

1621379528329.png

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m sold on it as well. A good critic’s score at RottenTomatoes. The 4K digital version is only $9.99 at iTunes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...and while I wait for creatures I take note of some rather extraordinary acting with Ms Coon at the center. All one apparently has to do is point the camera at her, and she tells story without ever opening her mouth.
She's an incredible actor. It's insane to me that every director in Hollywood isn't begging her to be in their movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks