What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Knew Too Much -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
MARNIE, is my least favorite Blu-ray, ever. It looks horrible to me. As for DD singing in THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, I simply don't get the issue with it being done in the hotel room. The kid is singing it, and mom joins in. Something they often do together. It being sung at the Embassy is what's out of place. Hitchcock even conveys this with the looks of awkwardness on the faces of many of the people in attendance. It's, obviously, not a song that Jo Conway sang on stage, or on records, so their reactions is "what's this?" It's her desperate attempt at communicating her presence to her son. He hears a song he knows, then listens more intently and realizes it's his mother singing it. Everything about its existence in the film makes perfect sense, plot-wise. My guess is that if the song did not become a number 1 hit, and forever associated with Doris Day, nobody would have the slightest issue with it, as I'm sure no one did, when the film was originally in theaters.
I think the reason Hitchock shows us the faces of the attendees at the Embassy registering discomfort is because DD is signing the song so inappropriately loud. On purpose. She isn't interested in entertaining the Embassy audience with that song, familiar to them or not, so much as "yelling" it to signal to her son, who she and Stewart know is somewhere in that building, that his mom and dad are there to rescue him.

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
are there going to be another four Hitch films released and upgraded transfers ?
Guess would be "Frenzy" "Trouble With Harry", "TMWKTM", "Rope" ?

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
are there going to be another four Hitch films released and upgraded transfers ?
Guess would be "Frenzy" "Trouble With Harry", "TMWKTM", "Rope" ?
Another 4K set is supposed to head our way this year with Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Family Plot. Rope is supposed to also be heading our way on 4K, maybe as a stand alone? We’re still awaiting specifics from Universal.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Another 4K set is supposed to head our way this year with Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, The Trouble with Harry, Marnie, and Family Plot. Rope is supposed to also be heading our way on 4K, maybe as a stand alone? We’re still awaiting specifics from Universal.
Thanks !

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Rope would obviously benefit from a new combine made from the YCMs. But that all depends on if those are still preserved in the vaults at Warner Bros, like a lot of the other pre-1949 films they sold off in the 50s.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I don't care what the cover art looks like, I just want the top notch treatment that every one of Hitch's films deserves. I only cherry picked a few Blu Hitch titles as the conversation on line and the image samples were appalling. Let's hope the BluRay version is not the same and only the 4K is a new transfer. Any confirmation on this yet? I am never going 4K, as the only difference I can see if faked up color and image to make every film look like a video game. Not my taste in filmed images.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks