What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Birds -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Ordered the UK region-free BD of The Birds as it's the only Hitchcock title I'm interested (I already own the velvet box collection on DVD). I'll never understand why Universal is being such d---- with this title and not releasing it in Region 1 by itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
cineMANIAC said:
Ordered the UK region-free BD of The Birds as it's the only Hitchcock title I'm interested (I already own the velvet box collection on DVD). I'll never understand why Universal is being such d---- with this title and not releasing it in Region 1 by itself.
Actually, I bet it's out in Region A before the year is out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
The sooner you buy it the longer you have to enjoy it!
He would have it sooner in Region A if it wasn't for that damn essential Hitchcock boxset coming out soon.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
He would have it sooner in Region A if it wasn't for that damn essential Hitchcock boxset coming out soon.
Hey! I ordered that damn set! ;)

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I too have ordered the Essentials set. Until recently, I always thought The Birds was black & white. That's how I saw it on TV as a kid. And then had to wait years when I could stay up and finally see the end. So this should be a new movie for me.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, it was frustrating enough having to wait out the big boxset, but I wasn't expecting them to then spring the little boxset on us. :angry:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, I finally watched this after 2 years (making my way through the Hitchcock set takes time) and I thought it looked terrific. I watched the blu-ray, projected on a 108" screen.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend at work a few years ago. Word was circulating that a remake of the Birds was in the works (with Naomi Watts) and that Michael Bay might direct. My friend - a great movie aficionado - said "Y'know, the whole world's just fucked up."

Glad to watch this great film again, and gladder still that no remake in on the horizon.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ You truly thought it looked good? If The Birds looks good, then I'd love to hear your words for e.g. The Trouble With Harry...(I happened to watch these two films in the last couple days, along with Rear Window, The Birds being at the PQ bottom IMO for those three but not for the set).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought it looked good - not perfect, and not as good as Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho or North By Northwest, to name some from the same set, but I found the image very pleasant, albeit perhaps a bit softer than what we're used to on a blu-ray - especially from a film of that vintage, which often look among the best the format has to offer. I haven't seen The Trouble With Harry; I'll let you know when I do.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Sam Favate said:
I thought it looked good - not perfect, and not as good as Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho or North By Northwest, to name some from the same set, but I found the image very pleasant, albeit perhaps a bit softer than what we're used to on a blu-ray - especially from a film of that vintage, which often look among the best the format has to offer. I haven't seen The Trouble With Harry; I'll let you know when I do.
You don't have to feel you have to caveat because someone else didn't care for it - many of us think it looks just dandy.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yes, you don't have to kowtow to my opinion, that's for sure. Oftentimes I am merciless, since I have no beneficial reason to be diplomatic etc. with my BD opinions, I am strictly a (very) judgmental consumer. I thought it looked kind of ugly, but not "bad" per se, just not nice. It may be an excellent representation of the actual film, which I've never seen in a theater. Also, in the case of The Birds, a (TV) favorite from when I was a kid, my opinion was probably colored by just how stupid the behavior of the characters in the film seems to me now, so I was getting a bit annoyed. I do understand that there are metaphors and some dumb behavior is necessary in all films of this type to move the story/theme forwards. (Thinking ruins so many movies, best to just go with it...)

[OT: Watched Psycho yesterday, better all-round IMO, one of the stars of the set; I have the UK version, no NxNW in it, had to get that separately. After this short Hitch-fest, I am reminded of another thing I like about him: he shows me exactly what I need to see in his framing. No more, no less: he makes sure I see what I'm supposed to see, often multiple times. Sometimes with great misdirection!]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks