What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Birds -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by peerpee /t/324704/a-few-words-about-the-birds-in-blu-ray#post_3995890
I stand by my initial assessment of THE BIRDS, which is quite the opposite of RAH and Bruce.
This film is the only one in the set to have such a uniquely overprocessed digital look, and it reminds me very much of the PEEPING TOM StudioCanal UK Blu-ray abortion. Bruce, I stumbled across some comments in another thread where you were full of praise for the PEEPING TOM Blu-ray, so it doesn't surprise me that you're happy with THE BIRDS too, but both PEEPING TOM and THE BIRDS have been very overprocessed to a point that can ostensibly look impressive, but is actually much more of a software creation than representative of anything shot on film.
Nick,

Definite noise reduction and grain equalization throughout, but without going in a totally different restorative direction, I believe it was necessary to achieve a cohesive overall look.

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
peerpee said:
I stand by my initial assessment of THE BIRDS, which is quite the opposite of RAH and Bruce.
This film is the only one in the set to have such a uniquely overprocessed digital look, and it reminds me very much of the PEEPING TOM StudioCanal UK Blu-ray abortion. Bruce, I stumbled across some comments in another thread where you were full of praise for the PEEPING TOM Blu-ray, so it doesn't surprise me that you're happy with THE BIRDS too, but both PEEPING TOM and THE BIRDS have been very overprocessed to a point that can ostensibly look impressive, but is actually much more of a software creation than representative of anything shot on film.
I'd have to look at Peeping Tom again, but my memory is it was so far above any transfer that film had ever had that I was very pleased with it. Abortion? That's a little extreme - hardly an abortion, although I'm happy to give it a second look. As to The Birds, I completely disagree, as you know. I have seen The Birds projected since I saw it on opening day, right through to my 16mm and 35mm prints - again, I don't care what tools were used to do what, the look of it is grand in my eyes and very representative of the film itself, save for the making the many opticals more of a piece with the production photography - and that's a good thing, not a bad thing. If you've seen my other comments on this set you will know I am VERY hard to please. I just think people who don't know these films from projected prints are just guessing and making assumptions about a lot of stuff. I will NOT not give kudos where they are so clearly due - this film could have looked terrible had they not taken the obvious care they have.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't have the set and haven't made my mind up yet about buying it (or the UK equivalent). But The Birds was always going to be the next Hitchcock Blu that Universal was going to release (before this big box set was announced back in the summer). I'd have been shocked if a goodly amount of work hadn't been done on it. I really did expect this one to be among the best of the lot.

But, as I say, I haven't seen any of these on Blu-ray. Just my mulling over all of these comments on the various films before I see them for myself.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think you'll be very pleased with Birds and Vertigo and Trouble With Harry - I'll be checking out more after the trick or treaters have finished up.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Spun this one tonight. Mostly beautiful, save for a (very) few problem shots here and there. In the close-ups of Melanie driving to Bodega Bay, the sky above and around her head is a mass of fine blue "mosquito noise" moving in strange patterns. Same with one similar shot of her rowing the boat toward the Brenner dock. Then in other shots, the sky is fine. The one quick shot of Melanie standing up as she sees the birds mass on the schoolyard jungle jim is a bit off, color-wise. Suddenly her suit has a bit more blue in it than the shots preceding or following. But it's very quick. And I'm not sure I would have even noticed the light in the elevator, but since it was pointed out, it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. But otherwise, I thought it was very well done. And all things considered, the most consistent the film has looked on home video between the book scenes and the effects shots.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Several of the shots you're referring to are blue screen shots and not good blue screen shots. In the theatrical prints you were several generations away from the camera negative and they weren't quite as obvious, but they've always looked the way they look and are not a problem with the transfer.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Am I mistaken or weren't the process shots on The Birds done with "yellow screen" the sodium vapor process that had been invented at Disney, I believe for Mary Poppins?

peerpee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Wrigley
Robert Harris said:
Nick,
Definite noise reduction and grain equalization throughout, but without going in a totally different restorative direction, I believe it was necessary to achieve a cohesive overall look.
RAH
I understand the need in a difficult situation such as this to use powerful digital tools to achieve a cohesive overall look, but my point is that we shouldn't be able to detect digital manipulation this much – ideally we shouldn't be able to detect it at all – and I do believe that it could have been handled much more subtly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by peerpee /t/324704/a-few-words-about-the-birds-in-blu-ray#post_3996444
I understand the need in a difficult situation such as this to use powerful digital tools to achieve a cohesive overall look, but my point is that we shouldn't be able to detect digital manipulation this much – ideally we shouldn't be able to detect it at all – and I do believe that it could have been handled much more subtly.
Agreed. There are other ways around the problem, but more expensive.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
peerpee said:
I would only agree in so much as if you were trying to achieve a cohesive look that was there in the first place, i.e. dupe footage replacing damaged sections etc. And even then I could do without it.
I seem to remember an individual defending the rough optical transitions in Affair To Remember when everyone was bitching about them (on another forum). Yet now for that individual it's a great thing that Uni has homogenized everything. Well, which is it?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Scott Calvert said:
I would only agree in so much as if you were trying to achieve a cohesive look that was there in the first place, i.e. dupe footage replacing damaged sections etc. And even then I could do without it.
I seem to remember an individual defending the rough optical transitions in Affair To Remember when everyone was bitching about them (on another forum). Yet now for that individual it's a great thing that Uni has homogenized everything. Well, which is it?
You get really defensive, don't you - or is it offensive? The opticals in Affair to Remember are between scenes opticals and are what they are. With The Birds, as you must know, you are dealing with a whole other ball of wax, and I think they've done a commendable job here - more than commendable - see Mr. Harris's comments. Going back to the negative reveals all sorts of things you would NOT HAVE SEEN in the theatrical prints, what with them being generations away from the negative. Universal's job is to not have the effects look WORSE but of a piece and rather like they would have in the theatrical prints. And I feel I have succeeded. If you don't, that's fine, that's what makes horse racing. But you've stated your opinion - you'd rather have a TERRIBLE transfer like The Man Who Knew Too Much - I don't live in that world, I'm afraid :)
And I venture to say you've never seen The Birds in 35mm. Again, I don't know or care what they did here - I only know the result of the stuff I sampled is very impressive and I'm very happy. And that's all she wrote.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this comes across as offensive but:
As a matter of fact I have indeed seen The Birds in 35mm. Not the original release I grant you but I seriously doubt the optical special effects were anything close to seamless then, as they were always quite clearly lower quality than the regular production footage for the two theatrical screenings I have seen, not to mention every TV broadcast, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD release (not that these releases mean much but still).
And there is nothing much wrong with the transfer for TMWKTM, in fact it's one of the better ones in the entire set. The problem is the film elements which are indeed less than perfect.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scott Calvert said:
As a matter of fact I have indeed seen The Birds in 35mm. Not the original release I grant you but I seriously doubt the optical special effects were anything close to seamless then, as they were always quite clearly lower quality than the regular production footage for the two theatrical screenings I have seen, not to mention every TV broadcast, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD release (not that these releases mean much but still).
And there is nothing much wrong with the transfer for TMWKTM, in fact it's one of the better ones in the entire set. The problem is the film elements which are indeed less than perfect.
One of the problems with The Birds, is that the fx shots had faded, as they were originally dupes. Their replacement, which was done several years ago, in the analogue realm, and done quite nicely, become problematic when scanned directly at high resolution, rather than being printed to film stock for projection.
Originally, the optical stage to matrices, would have softened the image enough to allow a cohesive overall look. That isn't possible via digital. While the fx were originally not "seamless," they possessed an overall look that worked, especially within the printing system.
I have no problem with the way Universal has handled The Birds, beginning in analogue, and finishing in digital.
RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Scott Calvert said:
You don't know that for a fact, do you? I don't think the film elements are less than perfect, I think the element used for this transfer could be better, but my guess is that the color pulsing and radical color changes from shot to shot in some scenes could have absolutely been corrected somewhere along the transfer line. All it takes is commitment and money, and for a major set of films that are major assets, well, I think they should have done it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
COMMENT REMOVED. MEMBERS SHOULD KNOW BETTER NOT TO INTRODUCE POLITICAL VIEWS INTO DISCUSSIONS. PLEASE READ FORUM RULES

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Sorry. It was late. Had a brain fart. Should have said:
Within the past week, here in CT, we've had a hurricane, a blizzard, and my Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection was cancelled by Fingerhut.
To quote what the old lady says in the film: "it's the end on the world." ;)

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Just finished watching this disc... the boat scene: the swarming grain creates a very odd ghosting effect around Tippi Hedren's head (more noticeable on her trip back) -- it gave me a flashback to the analogue rabbit ear days. Not good. I popped in my DVD from the old Velvet Box -- no ghosting, but the grain is considerably coarser (though not quite as "swarm-y"). I also plainly see the pixelation in the early elevator scene as well as late in the film when Rod Taylor is preparing the exterior of the house for an attack. I'm sure this was a very difficult project, and much of the HD transfer is gorgeous, (certainly the increased resolution alone makes it better than the old SD transfer), but to my eyes there has been obvious digital manipulation, something I never like to see.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
WilliamMcK said:
Just finished watching this disc... the boat scene: the swarming grain creates a very odd ghosting effect around Tippi Hedren's head (more noticeable on her trip back) -- it gave me a flashback to the analogue rabbit ear days. Not good. I popped in my DVD from the old Velvet Box -- no ghosting, but the grain is considerably coarser (though not quite as "swarm-y"). I also plainly see the pixelation in the early elevator scene as well as late in the film when Rod Taylor is preparing the exterior of the house for an attack. I'm sure this was a very difficult project, and much of the HD transfer is gorgeous, (certainly the increased resolution alone makes it better than the old SD transfer), but to my eyes there has been obvious digital manipulation, something I never like to see.
Yeah, I finally watched the whole thing all the way through last night as well. Definitely manipulated. Also in the hallway scene when Tippi is dropping off the lovebirds at Rod Taylor's apartment, there is a slow horizontal pan and the grain kind of crawls across the wall in the direction of the pan. UGH. Such a shame as otherwise it's very pretty and with great color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks