What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Best of Everything -- in BD (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cadavra said:
Yup. One of them was THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK--which Baker also co-starred in!

BTW, I saw the DCP at the Aero in Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago, and the color looked just fine.

Mike S.
Where's Biffle and Shooster??? Those guys know from too much blue. I had most of those paperbacks when I was a kid.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
ROclockCK said:
Sidebar to the colour grading discussion, but of interest to Suzy Parker fans, The Best of Everything has a double-sided cover insert with gatefold photo:

Is this the first translucent case with this packaging feature? I haven't noticed it on any other title. Real nice touch though, and hope TT continues...
Any excuse for a Suzy Parker photo!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I projected this last night and thought the image was good, particularly the outdoor scenes. However, this film was made contemporaneously with North by Northwest and it is a good example of how much more superior the VistaVision process was to CinemaScope.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
classicmovieguy said:
Any excuse for a Suzy Parker photo!

Always happy to oblige: :)

Best Of Everything, The 5.jpg

This comes from the set of The Best Of Everything. The actress on the right is Linda Hutchings who had a role in the film, but I don't recall the face

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
Considering that 20th Century Fox junked all of their original 3 Strip Technicolor Negatives in 1979, I'd imagine that getting the colors spot on just might not be possible in some cases?

I was/am pretty impressed with the color palette for Shirley Temple's THE LITTLE PRINCESS 2006 DVD release, and would love for Fox to issue a Blu-ray version!

Sorry if I've veered slightly off topic!

CHEERS! :)

Robert Harris said:
What does Fox junking their nitrate have to do with The Best of Everything?
Hi Robert!

I simply had mistakenly assumed THE BEST OF EVERYTHING was shot in 3 Strip Technicolor, which of course, it wasn't, therefore rendering my mention of 20th Century Fox's junking of their color nitrates completely irrelevant to this Topic!

My apologies, and please kindly pardon my very late response!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
I projected this last night and thought the image was good, particularly the outdoor scenes. However, this film was made contemporaneously with North by Northwest and it is a good example of how much more superior the VistaVision process was to CinemaScope.
V V certainly would beat out CS in the pure PQ stakes but was saddled with an inferior aspect ratio and sound system.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
john a hunter said:
V V certainly would beat out CS in the pure PQ stakes but was saddled with an inferior aspect ratio and sound system.

It may just be me, but that comment strikes me as hilarious. There are those who would also say that 2.76:1 is an "inferior" aspect ratio. :lol:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Mark-P said:
It may just be me, but that comment strikes me as hilarious. There are those who would also say that 2.76:1 is an "inferior" aspect ratio. :lol:
It's not just you. VistaVision had a different AR from CinemaScope, not an inferior one.

Motion Picture High Fidelity - yes! I guess we have to move on to Technirama to get rid of the "inferior" aspect ratio.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I guess we have to move on to Technirama to get rid of the "inferior" aspect ratio.
Indeed.LOL
Actually,as you say,there is nothing wrong with the aspect ratio of VV.
I was referring to how it was perceived in 1954 against Scope which looked much more visually impressive and as a result
a much easier to pitch to the public. Probably why many more films were shot anamorphically than in VV.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
You know, I've decided to hold off buying this Blu-ray after all... Not really for the "blue-wash" debate (I actually love that look), but more from an economical standpoint. The AUD, once dollar-for-dollar, is once again on the downswing, and so I again need to be conservative with my overseas purchases. I already have 2 copies of the old DVD in my library, so the cash I may spend on a Blu-ray of "The Best of Everything" can be put to better use.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I know the feeling. Just checked my credit card account and Best of, Bamboo and the pure audio Obsession landed cost
nearly AUD$150. $50 each, but never seen Best of. Now that I have I must say it is an excellent film. A bit surprised.
Never realised that Hope Lang was such a fine actress.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
john a hunter said:
... Never realised that Hope Lang was such a fine actress.

After seeing her in a few films, I've found her to be very likable, and last year I went ahead and imported both seasons of "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" from Australia (inexplicably, there's no official release of that series in America).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
john a hunter said:
Never realised that Hope Lang was such a fine actress.

I fell in love with her the first time I saw this film; an enormously likable actress. I'd love to see the film she made with Elvis come out on Blu-ray.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Her career hardly stopped - she had lots of great films beyond "The Best of Everything", including "Wild in the Country", "Pocketful of Miracles", "Jigsaw". She also had lots of exposure on TV.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
What about Lange's powerful, AA nominated performance as Selena in Peyton Place? Long overdue in BD.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
bujaki said:
What about Lange's powerful, AA nominated performance as Selena in Peyton Place? Long overdue in BD.
"Peyton Place" was Lange's breakthrough performance, and the stepping-stone to her starring role in "Best of Everything".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks