What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Best of Everything -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
It's one thing to favor a blue/teal palette in the art direction, accurately photographed to accentuate its pulsating blue/teal tones, but quite another to impose a blue/teal palette on an image where the color did not exist before. Steel desks are blue. Ditto for typewriters. Look at the pages of the manuscripts littering the desks. They're blue - not white! Look at the men's crisp white business shirts. They're blue. Not white. Look at the bricks and mortar of the buildings, the concrete side walks, the metal garbage cans outside David Savage's apartment, the cement window sills, the ambulances, etc. et al. Fabian's outer office steno pool used to favor a cold white traditional 50's office feel with random splashes of bold rich reds, mustard yellows and greens for the doors leading to the executive's offices. All these colors have been muted and bathed in a blue hue. There are no true whites in the office now, nor grays, nor beige; all of which were part of the original art direction color scheme! They've all adopted a very heavy and unnatural blue wash. Ditto for shadow highlights. Stephen Boyd's shiny black hair has blue highlights. The robin egg blue of various actors' eyes bleeds into the whites of their eyes.

This is not 'enshrined' blue/teal bias put forth in Mark-Lee Kirk, Jack Martin Smith or Lyle Wheeler's art direction, and certainly, NOTHING in Adele Palmer's costuming recommends it for virtually all of the men's business suits; Boyd appearing perpetually attired in a grungy greeny/blue suit. All you have to do is check out the scene where Mr. Shalamar attempts to feel up Caroline Bender's leg in the commissary while Mike Rice and April look on to see how heavy-handed the blue bias is. Background information, clothing, eye tint, shadow highlights - all VERY blue and VERY inaccurate. It makes for an ugly and extremely untrue representation of what The Best of Everything used to look like. I say, no thanks. Others may disagree. The beauty of this forum is that it allows for both points of view.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
For those who don't like the blueish tint, here's what adjustments I did on my SONY KDL-40W4500 (prod. year 2008) LCD TV screen:

1. Set the picture mode to KINO.

This made the bluish tint disappear. The white shirt of the doctor looked actually white.

Unfortunately it drained the color out of Ms. Lange's pink dress.

2. Set the color temp. to Warm 2.

Her dress was again nice and pink.

Faces may now appear a bit too brownish, but I liked the look.

I'd say it worked for me.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ditto. I'm still living in Sony XBR-9 land, circa 2010, and I thought most of TBOE looked lovely. Lots of greys, whites, and every other colour you'd expect to see. The only adjustment I made was to my Picture setting, backing it off a couple of bars because the contrast on this disc seemed a bit hot.

The rest was just watching and enjoying the moovie.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
All this talk about the picture quality (which is why I initially bought the Blu-ray) and hardly any comments about the sound?

The sound quality is MUCH better than the DVD. Blue-ish picture tints notwithstanding, the improved audio makes me glad I got this.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
PianoPlayer said:
All this talk about the picture quality (which is why I initially bought the Blu-ray) and hardly any comments about the sound?

The sound quality is MUCH better than the DVD. Blue-ish picture tints notwithstanding, the improved audio makes me glad I got this.
Well that's a positive- but this teal thing with The King and I and now this is disturbing. What the hell happened to Fox's quality control? And I refuse to adjust my 4K XBR for bad mastering. Anastasia will be the next travesty.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Nick*Z said:
It's one thing to favor a blue/teal palette in the art direction, accurately photographed to accentuate its pulsating blue/teal tones, but quite another to impose a blue/teal palette on an image where the color did not exist before. Steel desks are blue. Ditto for typewriters. Look at the pages of the manuscripts littering the desks. They're blue - not white! Look at the men's crisp white business shirts. They're blue. Not white. Look at the bricks and mortar of the buildings, the concrete side walks, the metal garbage cans outside David Savage's apartment, the cement window sills, the ambulances, etc. et al. Fabian's outer office steno pool used to favor a cold white traditional 50's office feel with random splashes of bold rich reds, mustard yellows and greens for the doors leading to the executive's offices. All these colors have been muted and bathed in a blue hue. There are no true whites in the office now, nor grays, nor beige; all of which were part of the original art direction color scheme! They've all adopted a very heavy and unnatural blue wash. Ditto for shadow highlights. Stephen Boyd's shiny black hair has blue highlights. The robin egg blue of various actors' eyes bleeds into the whites of their eyes.

This is not 'enshrined' blue/teal bias put forth in Mark-Lee Kirk, Jack Martin Smith or Lyle Wheeler's art direction, and certainly, NOTHING in Adele Palmer's costuming recommends it for virtually all of the men's business suits; Boyd appearing perpetually attired in a grungy greeny/blue suit. All you have to do is check out the scene where Mr. Shalamar attempts to feel up Caroline Bender's leg in the commissary while Mike Rice and April look on to see how heavy-handed the blue bias is. Background information, clothing, eye tint, shadow highlights - all VERY blue and VERY inaccurate. It makes for an ugly and extremely untrue representation of what The Best of Everything used to look like. I say, no thanks. Others may disagree. The beauty of this forum is that it allows for both points of view.
Sadly I will probably agree with you once I see it but will get it nonetheless only because I collect 50's/60's cinema.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
haineshisway said:
Actually blue is not teal nor is teal blue. I don't find any Fox transfer has teal at all. Blue, yes, and for me the blue is very much part and parcel of the look of Fox films in that era. This one is a bit bluer than the others - but since I see all the other colors in the transfer being accurate, I'm not quite ready to say it's the elements or wrong. :)
Well you think Hello Dolly's white sky's are acceptable too so I accept your opinion with a grain of salt.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Well you think Hello Dolly's white sky's are acceptable too so I accept your opinion with a grain of salt.
What an informative and necessary post. Thanks so much for adding to the discussion. And there is no teal in The King and I nor this transfer - you can think it's too blue but blue, as I've been pointing out, is not teal - teal is a very specific shade of color.

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
noel aguirre said:
And I refuse to adjust my 4K XBR for bad mastering. Anastasia will be the next travesty.

As a new blu of the movie is highly unlikely, I try to make the best out of what we have.

To my eyes the blu doesn't look right. I like the warm colors of Technicolor and similar 1950's films.

And, thank you very much Bruce for keeping this topic on the level. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
moviefanatic1979 said:
As a new blu of the movie is highly unlikely, I try to make the best out of what we have.

To my eyes the blu doesn't look right. I like the warm colors of Technicolor and similar 1950's films.

And, thank you very much Bruce for keeping this topic on the level. :)
The Best of Everything isn't a Technicolor film.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
PianoPlayer said:

Great to know. TBOE features one of my favorite Alfred Newman scores.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
The Best of Everything isn't a Technicolor film.
Yes it was Deluxe not Technicolor.

So are we saying that this apparent blue bias is a product of Deluxe processing of the Eastman stock and is an accurate representation of how it originally looked?

Was about to order but having second thoughts if it is a bad as suggested.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Robert Crawford said:
Yet, I have some DVD titles in which the DVD looked better than the BD. Only a few like The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.
Crawdaddy, I don't wish to derail the thread, but as a quick aside...
Which DVD version of Strange Love of Martha Ivers did you have in mind? I'd like to get this title, but so many versions abound.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RMajidi said:
Crawdaddy, I don't wish to derail the thread, but as a quick aside...
Which DVD version of Strange Love of Martha Ivers did you have in mind? I'd like to get this title, but so many versions abound.
The 2005 release from Paramount. You might have a hard time finding a copy of it though.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
classicmovieguy said:
Funny about those caps - I see gray, I see perfect skin tones, I see white. And yes, blue. There's one shot of, I think, DIane Baker and a guy (Robert Evans?) - her skin tones have NO blue in them. Check. Her hair is black. Check. Her blouse is white. Check. His hair has blue highlights because he's being hit by a blue light - clearly. And the back of his shirt is also being hit by a blue light, because the rest of it is white.

Tom Logan

Second Unit

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sidebar to the colour grading discussion, but of interest to Suzy Parker fans, The Best of Everything has a double-sided cover insert with gatefold photo:

DWSUQA.jpg

Is this the first translucent case with this packaging feature? I haven't noticed it on any other title. Real nice touch though, and hope TT continues...

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Eric Vedowski said:
Anyone else notice that the racks of paperbacks in the office are filled with books Fox filmed or would soon film?

Yup. One of them was THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK--which Baker also co-starred in!

BTW, I saw the DCP at the Aero in Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago, and the color looked just fine.

Mike S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks