What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Is this review supposed to be sarcastic? I'm sorry but this film is much more than a mere "gladiator movie" as Mr Harris states in his summation. This is a film about the evils of slavery and fight for human dignity- bar none. A masterpiece- and kudos to Kirk Douglass for producing it. The gladiator part of it is secondary to say the very least.

I do agree that the transfer is absolutely flawless- a contender for best of the year. It has never, ever looked this good.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
noel aguirre said:
Is this review supposed to be sarcastic? I'm sorry but this film is much more than a mere "gladiator movie" as Mr Harris states in his summation. This is a film about the evils of slavery and fight for human dignity- bar none. A masterpiece- and kudos to Kirk Douglass for producing it. The gladiator part of it is secondary to say the very least.

I do agree that the transfer is absolutely flawless- a contender for best of the year. It has never, ever looked this good.
I see you have been around HTF for about 4 years but must not have been following Mr Harris' few words about columns.
He has a very dry sense of humor.

Google his name and see what you find it is very interesting.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
noel aguirre said:
Not sarcastic, just very dry and amusing humor.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:

Classic.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Steve Christou said:
Well it's not Ben-Hur but it'll do. :D

I'm still waiting for my steelbook to be shipped. When it does arrive is there a way to instantly know I have the best version? I've read scary posts about the previous version shipped in 55th anniversary cases. I'm planning to watch it at Xmas. I've seen the film before, I know how it ends. ;)

Yes, Spartacus certainly isn't Ben-Hur. One of my favorite pieces of dialog in Spartacus is where Charles Laughton as the elderly Senator, Gracchus, says to his friend " Privately, I believe in none of the gods, and neither do you. But publicly, I believe in them all."

That's the kind of dialog that makes Spartacus, IMO, more of a thinking man's film than the somewhat overly reverent Ben-Hur, although I still think that Ben-Hur is a fine film. In Ben-Hur, I particularly liked the way director William Wyler displayed such good taste in how he carefully handled the scene in the desert where Judah is suffering from great thirst, and encounters Christ, who comforts him with some water. That terrific scene is one of the strongest and most heartfelt in the film, IMO.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Robert Crawford said:
Yes, the dialogue of this film by Trumbo is excellent. I see a movie about Dalton Trumbo is coming out soon with Bryan Cranston playing Trumbo.

Am very eager to see the Trumbo movie, and considering how amazingly powerful Bryan Cranston was throughout the Breaking Bad series, the makers of that movie would have had a difficult time casting anyone who is better.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wait, Ahollis(Allen) do you have me on mute or something?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mike Boone said:
Yes, Spartacus certainly isn't Ben-Hur. One of my favorite pieces of dialog in Spartacus is where Charles Laughton as the elderly Senator, Gracchus, says to his friend " Privately, I believe in none of the gods, and neither do you. But publicly, I believe in them all."

That's the kind of dialog that makes Spartacus, IMO, more of a thinking man's film than the somewhat overly reverent Ben-Hur, although I still think that Ben-Hur is a fine film. In Ben-Hur, I particularly liked the way director William Wyler displayed such good taste in how he carefully handled the scene in the desert where Judah is suffering from great thirst, and encounters Christ, who comforts him with some water. That terrific scene is one of the strongest and most heartfelt in the film, IMO.

I think it was one of the first movies that could be called a thinking man's epic and imo the most successful at that. It also helped to have Laughton, Olivier and Ustinov on board - three actors that one does not usually find in this kind of movie.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
beaver captures I can see the milking conspiracy of keeping some portions of the frame zoomed in on the frame so we can't see it. I see portions tiny % above/below and side to side.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/spartacus_blu-ray.htm

I'm into the Spartacus sound.

Now why not FIVE SCREEN channel for this release? What 12 channel atmos from Dolby labs and they can't even fit a 5 screen into the AVR's so that classic films soundtracks can be preserved and presented for those that never heard this in the cinema. No forget the atmos excuses to cover up sweep FIVE SCREEN under the doormat like it never existed. I'm sick and tired.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
OliverK said:
I think it was one of the first movies that could be called a thinking man's epic and imo the most successful at that. It also helped to have Laughton, Olivier and Ustinov on board - three actors that one does not usually find in this kind of movie.

I'm on the same page with you in all that you said. Ever since, as a kid, seeing 1935's Mutiny On The Bounty on TV, I've been a big Charles Laughton fan. But I think it's Laurence Olivier and Peter Ustinov who gave the 2 most indelible performances in Spartacus, although Kirk Douglas was certainly good, and made his lead role memorable. And what guy with any blood flowing everywhere it's supposed to, could resist falling in love/lust with the character of Varinia because of the way she was embodied by the lovely, totally charming, Jean Simmons.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Took a break last Tuesday evening from watching horror films to watch this newly prepared Spartacus disc and honestly...WOW! What an amazing bit of work everybody did on this and a big thank you to all involved for what they accomplished. Just beautiful right from the opening. The sound of my jaw smashing to the floor woke my wife who rushed downstairs to discover what the giant thud was and she found me standing and applauding as visions of ancient Rome danced across the screen...and though I type this from the padded cell she had me placed in I have to say it was all worth it despite the fact I am temporarily separated from my shiny new Spartacus disc. They say I need to continue to take my meds at regular intervals and behave myself and I should be out of here in no time...until then I AM SPARTACUS!

Sshhh...did I type that or shout that...I think I hear the orderlies coming...

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Wait a tic... Jean Simmons is in this? THE Jean Simmons? Rear Admiral Nora Satie from Star Trek: The Next Generation's prosecution episode, "The Drumhead"? I just might need take in this gladiator movie then.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
fun extra - in stills for the film.

There are several with a different blond haired girl as Varinia,

Varinia is a german girl in the film and they got this other woman before Jean simmons.

She was not good and they fired her and then got Miss Simmons.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the driest lines in the film, that brought down the house when we played at the Uptown in DC, with more than a few senators/congressmen in attendance...

Mr. Laughton to Mr. Ustinov, after the comment about "make sure I don't misspend the money."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm a senator...

RAH

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Wait a tic... Jean Simmons is in this? THE Jean Simmons? Rear Admiral Nora Satie from Star Trek: The Next Generation's prosecution episode, "The Drumhead"? I just might need take in this gladiator movie then.

Sgt. Sarah Brown herself! :biggrin:

(always a favorite of mine)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Magnificent movie.

Unfortunately due to a mix up Universal Europe placed the 50th anniversary transfer onto the 55th anniversary edition BD in Europe! No-one has officially said yet if they will recall or just offer a replacement program for those who notice this (I suspect a replacement program for those who notice is cheaper than a product recall). The italian version is already out its the same 50th anniversary edition with 55th anniversary packaging/advertising!

US version is unaffected as its not pressed in Europe. So here in Europe at least unless you import the US version the wait goes on...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks