What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Wish the two threads could be consolidated, actually.
We can't do so because RAH's first post in this thread will be pre-dated by older posts made in that other thread and will be for example, the 100th post in this newly merged thread.

P

Patrick Donahue

Allansfirebird said:
Same here. I'm passing into the not-so-patiently waiting stage for them to give it to me.
If that's the case there is definitely a problem. I just ordered it and already got a shipped notice - will be here Sunday. Maybe cancel the pre-order and re-order?

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Hollywoodaholic said:
Not at Best Buy, Walmart or Barnes and Noble, or even Movie Stop. Grrr.

But it is at BJ's Wholesale Club (at least at the Akron, OH one, and hopefully at all of the BJ's around the country.) I got one of the 5 copies that we accidentally encountered when my wife and I were shopping there on the 6th. The regular price at BJ's is $12.99 but a "Clipless $5 Mfr's Coupon" automatically lowers the price at checkout to $7.99, but that $5 off is only good through Sunday.

And you can usually shop at BJ's one time WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY A MEMBERSHIP. At least, at this one in Akron, they give 1 day shopping passes to non-members to let folks see if the values offered make a membership seem worthwhile.

Many people might just want to use their pass to buy the Spartacus 2015 Restoration, and then just say, adios. And even if you already have a copy from Amazon, it would sure make a great Christmas gift, and at a steal of a price.

And BTW, this terrific restoration from both a video and an audio perspective, is everything I have been hoping it would be. Makes me so glad to still be around for what I consider to be the true golden era for film fans/collectors.

So please let me echo the sincere thanks of so many, who are very grateful for all the efforts that Robert Harris, and a lot of other folks, undertook in making it possible for all of us to finally enjoy this film treasure the way its creators intended it to look.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Neil S. Bulk said:
My slipcover went right into the garbage. It was pristine!

Neil
dpippel said:
I sent my slipcover to the labyrinthine vaults within the bowels of Yucca Mountain for storage. My hope is that the residual radiation there will preserve its pristine glory for millennia to come. Bonus: it now glows in the dark. Take THAT you cheesy lenticular covers!

Shame...sold off my entire bluray collection a few months ago in anticipation of the new upcoming 4K format...got enough $$$ for the slipcovers alone to pay for a new 4K disc spinner.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well it's not Ben-Hur but it'll do. :D

I'm still waiting for my steelbook to be shipped. When it does arrive is there a way to instantly know I have the best version? I've read scary posts about the previous version shipped in 55th anniversary cases. I'm planning to watch it at Xmas. I've seen the film before, I know how it ends. ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I had pre-ordered Spartacus from Amazon...it was delivered yesterday. I mentioned it in the other thread, but it looks stunning projected. I felt like I was watching an actual new film print of the movie in my house on my JVC. A number of scenes have remarkable detail and shadows. Colors look so vibrant, but natural unlike the previous disc.

Regarding Best Buy - it has become a bad joke for older/catalog titles. They rarely carry any remastered or restored titles anymore, but they claimed to carry the new Mastered in 4K BS's Dracula. All of the local stores showed it in stock online. I went to a couple of stores and both claimed to have two in the system, but they were not actually in store. lol Yet, stores like Meyer carried the remastered Goodfellas and Home Alone the day they were released - yet not Best Buy!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Steve Christou said:
Well it's not Ben-Hur but it'll do. :D

I'm still waiting for my steelbook to be shipped. When it does arrive is there a way to instantly know I have the best version? I've read scary posts about the previous version shipped in 55th anniversary cases. I'm planning to watch it at Xmas. I've seen the film before, I know how it ends. ;)

Ahhh, with a steelbook, you can easily by pass the horror of finding a chipped slip cover, Brilliant!!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This one had me in real suspense. Can you imagine the irony and agony of having to give a "fail" to your own restoration efforts being cluelessly transferred to Blu-ray for Spartacus? Oh, wait...

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Richard V said:
Ahhh, with a steelbook, you can easily by pass the horror of finding a chipped slip cover, Brilliant!!

...to be replaced by random dents, dings, gouges, scratches, and flecks in the lithography. ;)

Sidebar Mini-Rant:
As inconceivable as it sounds, steelbooks seem to be among the most fragile, easily defaced collector packaging around. If truth in labeling applied, they would have been called tinbooks. The thing is, regardless how attactive they can be design-wise, and will hold their value if sealed in carbonite immediately post-purchase, I've almost finished dumping all of my steels. Give me a standard Elite any day...at least I can replace that if necessary.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Patrick Donahue said:
If that's the case there is definitely a problem. I just ordered it and already got a shipped notice - will be here Sunday. Maybe cancel the pre-order and re-order?

It's got an estimated delivery date of this Monday or Tuesday, so I'll wait to see what happens. It's especially frustrating because they already took my money FIVE days ago...

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Slipcovers I stuff them in the kitchen cupboard as they'd only wear away with time and usage so I stuff them in the cupboard. NO I don't have Spartacus bluray, as I don't trust universal with their past bad track record of botched colour, DNR, EE and this near field mixing is even more to pass on it. I'll keep and put up with the region 2 DVD that is only played maybe once every few many years now, like many other films I don't buy that much bluray these days now, too many re-mixing, near-fields.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
andySu said:
Slipcovers I stuff them in the kitchen cupboard as they'd only wear away with time and usage so I stuff them in the cupboard. NO I don't have Spartacus bluray, as I don't trust universal with their past bad track record of botched colour, DNR, EE and this near field mixing is even more to pass on it. I'll keep and put up with the region 2 DVD that is only played maybe once every few many years now, like many other films I don't buy that much bluray these days now, too many re-mixing, near-fields.
How could you not "trust" Universal considering the accolades this release has received here, especially with Mr. Harris involved directly? Add my name to the vast list of people who have this new Blu-ray and think it is fantastic. All the things you fear are NOT involved with this release.

P

Patrick Donahue

andySu said:
NO I don't have Spartacus bluray, as I don't trust universal with their past bad track record of botched colour, DNR, EE and this near field mixing is even more to pass on it. I'll keep and put up with the region 2 DVD that is only played maybe once every few many years now, like many other films I don't buy that much bluray these days now, too many re-mixing, near-fields.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 116

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:

Better play it safe and go for the discovision version - can't trust that newfangled DVD stuff with its dumbed-down sound.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Andy: That's a classic thread crap. You should know better.

It's one thing to have seen a release and say you've got issues. But to admit you won't be getting it doesn't contribute to the discussion.

Members: Let's not get personal in responses. Stay on topic, please.

Since the other thread is now closed, I'l port this over:

Saul+Bass+-+1960+-+Spartacus.jpg

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
What???!!!!!!

You mean there's a disc with a movie on it inside the packaging? And we're supposed to watch it?

I don't get it. I see all these people who claim to own 2000 Blu-rays. At two movies a day, seven days a week, it would take 33 months to watch them all and I knew that was impossible. I thought people were just buying these for the packaging.

OMG. I must apologize to the studios....I've been complaining for years that these cardboard and plastic things were kind of expensive. But if there's a movie in there, it's actually usually pretty cheap.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Torture, pure torture I say, that I must read of everyone's joy at the excellence of this restoration, yet I have not yet received my disk even though I pre-ordered through Amazon two months ago and therefore pledged my undying troth. Now I am alerted via email that my purchase will be delivered on SUNDAY. Sunday, you say? Wherefore is there a delivery service commissioned by Amazon that will deliver this to me on Sunday? Will it come to me by USPS, UPS, courier, drone, carrier pigeon, Harry Potter's owl, Robby The Robot? (Morpheus, something is approaching from the east; it is now quite close)? There is no excuse for Amazon (of all vendors) to have a paucity of stock when so many buyers have pre-ordered. For what it's worth, I will now buy from vendors I have learned about from the astute purchasers on this forum who have shared their buying strategies. Should it actually arrive on Sunday, I will post it here. I will allow that Amazon may be good to their word, but what recourse have I should they not?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
USPS has been delivering Amazon packages on Sunday for about two years now, first in a few cities and now nationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks