What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ She Wore a Yellow Ribbon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I sincerely hope Warner will also consider releasing 3 Godfathers on BD; absolutely gorgeous work from Winton Hoch.
As it is, WAC's 2016 output has already placed me knee-deep into Hoch.:)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Simply beautiful! [...] I had tears of joy in my eyes viewing this blu-ray.
One of the things on my bucket list is to visit Monument Valley. I intend to accomplish that task in the next couple of years.
Well...now it's my turn to rub it in, Mister Crawdaddy.
Yes, while we here members of the HTF are still collectively scant and without our Blu of "Yellow", I still gotcha beat on seeing one thing - and that was Monument Valley.
Plus, it was for a couple of weeks, to boot.
Suffer.:lol::dance::lol:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Simply beautiful! As far as the film itself, it's my third favorite of the cavalry trilogy, but I had tears of joy in my eyes viewing this blu-ray. One of the things on my bucket list is to visit Monument Valley. I intend to accomplish that task in the next couple of years.

I've been there. It's worth it, especially to a John Ford fan.

Reactions: PMF

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well...now it's my turn to rub it in, Mister Crawdaddy.
Yes, while we here members of the HTF are still collectively scant and without our Blu of "Yellow", I still gotcha beat on seeing one thing - and that was Monument Valley.
Plus, it was for a couple of weeks, to boot.
Suffer.:lol::dance::lol:

I remember reading in one of the books I have on John Ford that Monument Valley was a difficult place to shoot because there is basically no infrastructure there (probably so it stays looking pristine and untouched). There were no luxury accommodations for the stars because they were basically out in the desert. How does one visit it today? Have they built hotels and motels since Ford worked there, or does one drive a long way from accommodations to get there, or does one camp there? Just curious.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I remember reading in one of the books I have on John Ford that Monument Valley was a difficult place to shoot because there is basically no infrastructure there (probably so it stays looking pristine and untouched). There were no luxury accommodations for the stars because they were basically out in the desert. How does one visit it today? Have they built hotels and motels since Ford worked there, or does one drive a long way from accommodations to get there, or does one camp there? Just curious.

Stay in Flagstaff, AZ, Page, AZ or (Kayenta, AZ) they would be the closest towns

Spring or Early Fall are the best times to avoid extreme heat or snow
http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
AFAIK there are no accommodations within Monument Valley itself, which lies entirely inside the boundaries of the Navajo Nation, and is therefore subject to Tribal Law. You CAN camp at Valley of the Gods however. This area is just north of the San Juan River, outside the town of Mexican Hat, UT at the base of Cedar Mesa, and is on BLM land. The Valley of the Gods Road, at the bottom of the Moki Dugway switchbacks, is gorgeous and there are about a dozen camping spots along its length. No services, but well worth it. We've been there several times and it's been wonderful. I'd advise visiting in the Fall rather than in the Spring/early Summer, when the biting gnats will literally drive you crazy.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
When I visited the Grand Canyon a few years ago, I drove to it from Sedona and stayed at the canyon most of the day. Sounds like a drive to Monument Valley would be logistically similar.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Monument Valley is almost twice the distance from Sedona than the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Doable, but it would be a long day. :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh, I wouldn't drive from Sedona. When I did the GC, I was in Phoenix on business. My wife and I changed our base to Sedona after my work was complete, and made the drive to the GC from there after staying in Sedona overnight. If I were to do a similar trip to MV, I would choose a town closer to the destination. I was curious if Monument Valley was as removed from civilization as the Grand Canyon. It appears to be.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It is indeed. If you plan on doing more than one day's worth of exploring in the area, a room in Kayenta would probably be the best bet. Although I've never stayed there, I hear that the San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat is pretty nice. It's built right into a cliff above the San Juan River as you come into town from the south.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oh, I wouldn't drive from Sedona. When I did the GC, I was in Phoenix on business. My wife and I changed our base to Sedona after my work was complete, and made the drive to the GC from there after staying in Sedona overnight. If I were to do a similar trip to MV, I would choose a town closer to the destination. I was curious if Monument Valley was as removed from civilization as the Grand Canyon. It appears to be.
So you didn't eat at the McDonalds at the Canyon ;) ?

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally got a shipping date from Amazon with prime 2 day shipping, will take 4 days to get to me. Shipping on 06-17 and arriving on 06-21. Of course this is only an estimate.:unsure:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is indeed. If you plan on doing more than one day's worth of exploring in the area, a room in Kayenta would probably be the best bet. Although I've never stayed there, I hear that the San Juan Inn in Mexican Hat is pretty nice. It's built right into a cliff above the San Juan River as you come into town from the south.
What about this place?

http://monumentvalleyview.com/the-view-hotel/

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That'll do! I wasn't aware of it. Not our kind of thing but good to know. Thanks for the info Robert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks