What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rear Window -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
It only took me seventeen years to finally see the 2000 restoration print. I read all about the restoration when I was 10 years old...and it never came anywhere near in theaters. So all these years I've wondered what the Tech IB prints looked like.

My question now is, if the studio didn't want to spend money and needed a new element for HD/DCPs: Why in the world can't they scan this at 4K and call it a day? Why the need for tinkering away on this and Vertigo, while leaving the other films in decent to awful state in HD?

Background: This was shown at an art museum without the best space for films, but this aside they bring over the local arthouse facilities manager (a friend of mine) for occasional showings-and thank goodness the staff booker always tries for 35mm. They have great projectors despite the less than stellar auditorium.
So for some time it looked as if the studio was going to back out of sending a print forcing the BD to be used until lo and behold some cans showed up. (The museum's last movie was Funny Face, and if you know how bad that BD is...imagine it in an art museum because Paramount apparently ships nothing these days.)
The print came up, hard matted with soft frame edges to something like 1.66 but my friend said the manufacture date looked like 2011. So I think to myself maybe they stuck a print of the BD master.
...and then it opened with the correct late 90's Uni logo...and...
It was the 2000 print. Later on he found the IB markers on the heads and tails.

The colors are perfectly realized and not somewhat garish like the BD nor slightly paler like the 2005 and 2008 DVDs. (This is how it has always seemed to me at home-just my own two cents) I revisited my copies before the show for reference. And the whole film is grainy to an extent-but properly and organically so. Not some here and there and not merely video noise peeking through.

While I was waiting to see if the print showed up, I saw RW listed in this year's TCM festival as DCP. My friend mentioned he knew someone who was working the festival and said he could ask what the resolution was. It's 2K.

I never knew the colors, blacks or textures could look that rich. It really is a gorgeous experience, particularly for devotees of the Master who have seen this film ad nauseam. My thanks to Mr. Harris and the restoration team for such dedication to L.B. Jefferies' neighborhood curiosity.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It only took me seventeen years to finally see the 2000 restoration print. I read all about the restoration when I was 10 years old...and it never came anywhere near in theaters. So all these years I've wondered what the Tech IB prints looked like.

My question now is, if the studio didn't want to spend money and needed a new element for HD/DCPs: Why in the world can't they scan this at 4K and call it a day? Why the need for tinkering away on this and Vertigo, while leaving the other films in decent to awful state in HD?

Background: This was shown at an art museum without the best space for films, but this aside they bring over the local arthouse facilities manager (a friend of mine) for occasional showings-and thank goodness the staff booker always tries for 35mm. They have great projectors despite the less than stellar auditorium.
So for some time it looked as if the studio was going to back out of sending a print forcing the BD to be used until lo and behold some cans showed up. (The museum's last movie was Funny Face, and if you know how bad that BD is...imagine it in an art museum because Paramount apparently ships nothing these days.)
The print came up, hard matted with soft frame edges to something like 1.66 but my friend said the manufacture date looked like 2011. So I think to myself maybe they stuck a print of the BD master.
...and then it opened with the correct late 90's Uni logo...and...
It was the 2000 print. Later on he found the IB markers on the heads and tails.

The colors are perfectly realized and not somewhat garish like the BD nor slightly paler like the 2005 and 2008 DVDs. (This is how it has always seemed to me at home-just my own two cents) I revisited my copies before the show for reference. And the whole film is grainy to an extent-but properly and organically so. Not some here and there and not merely video noise peeking through.

While I was waiting to see if the print showed up, I saw RW listed in this year's TCM festival as DCP. My friend mentioned he knew someone who was working the festival and said he could ask what the resolution was. It's 2K.

I never knew the colors, blacks or textures could look that rich. It really is a gorgeous experience, particularly for devotees of the Master who have seen this film ad nauseam. My thanks to Mr. Harris and the restoration team for such dedication to L.B. Jefferies' neighborhood curiosity.

Glad you were able to finally see it!
I saw the restoration print sometime when it was running in the early 2000s.
It was the first Hitchcock film that I ever saw. I've been hooked ever since!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Bob Harris, since this film is Paramount in 1954, why wasn't it shot in the usual VistaVision?

Reactions: PMF

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I wonder if the VistaVision camera would've hampered Hitch's style. He has that great opening shot that moves around the apartment for exposition.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The VistaVision cameras were still considered "new" when Hitchcock took them to the South of France in May of '54 to begin location work on TO CATCH A THIEF. I could be wrong but, during the filming of WHITE CHRISTMAS in late 1953, I believe they only had one VistaVision camera (a refurbished Natural Color camera) in existence. Even if Hitch had wanted to use VV on REAR WINDOW (and there's no evidence he did) there would have been overlap on the production schedules.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The VistaVision cameras were still considered "new" when Hitchcock took them to the South of France in May of '54 to begin location work on TO CATCH A THIEF. I could be wrong but, during the filming of WHITE CHRISTMAS in late 1953, I believe they only had one VistaVision camera (a refurbished Natural Color camera) in existence. Even if Hitch had wanted to use VV on REAR WINDOW (and there's no evidence he did) there would have been overlap on the production schedules.

As I recall, there were BG plate tests in Vista. The decision was to go live, with wired communication.

MovieFan85

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Was REAR WINDOW scanned in 4K for its Blu-ray release? I ask because Robert Harris mentioned that VERTIGO was scanned in 4K for its Blu-ray release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Was REAR WINDOW scanned in 4K for its Blu-ray release? I ask because Robert Harris mentioned that VERTIGO was scanned in 4K for its Blu-ray release.

great question!

also any change they will come to UHd Blu Ray soon??

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This helps explain why the 'The Far Country' (1954) BD from Arrow, which is supposed to have a 4K scan from the original negative, looks very ho-hum....

Yes its what I refer to as "The Myth of 4K" where a 4k scan makes everything look better.

Actually that's far from the case and its effectiveness is much more narrow that several members of this would want you to believe.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, sorry if you covered this elsewhere already, but why does the Arrow 'Far Country' release look so ordinary, IMO, in spite of touting a 4K scan from the OCN?

to my eyes it’s not from the OCN. Probably a communication problem

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
Just watched the movie yesterday at a local theater from a DCP. The quality overall seemed good, but every now and then, inferior quality shots appeared. Then the quality would get back with the next shot change, and then, sometimes the film used again the "bad looking" shot (of course, covering a different action), and it would look okay. It seems that some specific pieces of film from the original cutting have problems that others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks