What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In concert with this film's appended title, it might have been best if this was left a tale untold.

PotC-DMTNT is a loud, hodge-podge of action sequences, with a story that never comes together, as the latest installment of a series that jumped the proverbial shark back aways.

That opinion noted there seems to be a world-wide audience for these films, which means there are apt to be more.

That aside, Disney's 4k of the film, (their second 4k release) is a gorgeous representation of the film. Audio, presented here in Dolby Atmos, is wonderfully encompassing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful, if the powers that be at Disney, might consider a 4k release of Sleeping Beauty?

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Glad to learn that Disney has tested the 4K waters; even if its with the worst of Pirates.;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I swear I'm not saying this just to be contrarian but, for reasons unknown, I have seen all of the Pirates films without actually liking any of them.

This one, I actually liked.

It's not a great movie and is still a bit sloppy, but it's less overlong than the others. Had a couple good action sequences, Depp always cracks me up in these, I had fun, and then it ended before it overstayed its welcome.

I'm not sure that I'm going to buy it, but I don't regret seeing it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful, if the powers that be at Disney, might consider a 4k release of Sleeping Beauty?

Indeed that would be fantastic. I remember reading that Sleeping Beauty was scanned in 4k but taken down to 2k back when it was releasd on Bl-ray so they would probably want to redo it all. Not that Disney could not pay for that but maybe they do not see this as a worthy proposition from a commercial point of view.

From what I have seen the best looking older movie that Disney owns is The Big Fisherman but we will most probably never see a UHD release of that movie. It is not even out on DVD.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I swear I'm not saying this just to be contrarian but, for reasons unknown, I have seen all of the Pirates films without actually liking any of them.

This one, I actually liked.

It's not a great movie and is still a bit sloppy, but it's less overlong than the others. Had a couple good action sequences, Depp always cracks me up in these, I had fun, and then it ended before it overstayed its welcome.

I'm not sure that I'm going to buy it, but I don't regret seeing it.

I’m with you on this one. I rate it my second favorite after the 1st.

I got to see the premiere twice while on a Disney transatlantic cruise; once 3D and once 2D. It may not have hurt that the theater on the ship was hands down the best looking and sounding theater I had ever been in, but my family and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I have it on pre-order and look forward to watching it at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks