What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Paths of Glory -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yet another 4k release from Kino via their license with MGM from a wonderful photographer, who worked for Look Magazine.

The fourth film, after Fear and Desire (1953), Killer's Kiss (1955) and The Killing (1956) - all available from Kino.

Shot in gorgeously lit and exposed black & white by George Krause, I've a feeling that this, like several other new 4k image harvests from MGM, may be a bit sharpened, as the grain is almost in attack mode. It's that highly resolved.

The trick here is not to sit too close to your screen.

Comparing to the Criterion Blu-ray, the difference is far more than I would have imagined.

The new image harvest is derived from the OCN, while the Criterion Blu-ray is from a seemingly less than stellar fine grain.

The new Kino is a Very big deal in this regard. Everything that you'll see on screen is perfect.

As anti-war films go, there are four that rise above all others.

J'Accuse - 1919 - Abel Gance

The Grand Illusion - 1937 - Jean Renoir

J'Accuse - 1938 - Abel Gance

and Paths of Glory - 1957 - Stanley Kubrick

Belongs in every serious cinema library.

You'll want to hold on to the Criterion Blu-ray for extras.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Big time!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
As anti-war films go, there are four that rise above all others.

J'Accuse - 1919 - Abel Gance

The Grand Illusion - 1937 - Jean Renoir

J'Accuse - 1938 - Abel Gance

and Paths of Glory - 1957 - Stanley Kubrick

To this list I would add The Red and the White, recently released on a beautiful Blu-Ray by Kino. Also Bergman's Shame.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Watched it this evening - beautiful in projection and the grainy scenes have far more detail than the Criterion. It's absolutely to Kino Lorber's credit that they're producing such beautiful 4K discs - but I wish Criterion had secured the 4K rights to the titles they've already released. It takes up so much shelf space, having to retain two copies of each title!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Watched it this evening - beautiful in projection and the grainy scenes have far more detail than the Criterion. It's absolutely to Kino Lorber's credit that they're producing such beautiful 4K discs - but I wish Criterion had secured the 4K rights to the titles they've already released. It takes up so much shelf space, having to retain two copies of each title!
At one time I would have agreed! But with Criterion's recent 4K QC issues and difficult replacement process if you did not buy them FROM Criterion -- I'ld much rather have KINO release these that often come with commentaries that Criterion's "market research" tells them the fans don't want.

As well KINO's 4K discs are appropriate pricepoints without having to wait for a sale.

(ed note: I paid $29.99 for the PoG Criterion Blu-Ray and was willing to do it. I no longer would consider doing that with any Criterion release until I can determine that the release is up to Criterion's previous standards)

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
At one time I would have agreed! But with Criterion's recent 4K QC issues and difficult replacement process if you did not buy them FROM Criterion -- I'ld much rather have KINO release these that often come with commentaries that Criterion's "market research" tells them the fans don't want.

As well KINO's 4K discs are appropriate pricepoints without having to wait for a sale.

(ed note: I paid $29.99 for the PoG Criterion Blu-Ray and was willing to do it. I no longer would consider doing that with any Criterion release until I can determine that the release is up to Criterion's previous standards)
Not to derail this thread on Paths Of Glory, but I just have to reply that getting replacements from Criterion has been the easiest and most pleasant experience for me. I purchase 90% of all my titles from US Amazon. Criterion have replaced 14 defective titles with disc rot and mastering errors, requiring only an email and photo of the disc from me.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Not to derail this thread on Paths Of Glory, but I just have to reply that getting replacements from Criterion has been the easiest and most pleasant experience for me. I purchase 90% of all my titles from US Amazon. Criterion have replaced 14 defective titles with disc rot and mastering errors, requiring only an email and photo of the disc from me.
I agree 100%. Just had six discs replaced and once I was able to tell them what I wanted (damaged cover art and case were involved), they had the new items sent to me inside of a week!

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Enjoyed this movie tonight, other than yet another scratched disc I’ll be returning to Amazon . technicolor Mexico really is the pits

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Try getting a replacement for a lost KINO shipment! After two weeks plus, I finally got approval from KINO that was able to "offer a 1x reshipment of your order for no extra charge". I was treated as though the lost shipment was somehow my fault! I am still waiting for my shipment!

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Try getting a replacement for a lost KINO shipment! After two weeks plus, I finally got approval from KINO that was able to "offer a 1x reshipment of your order for no extra charge". I was treated as though the lost shipment was somehow my fault! I am still waiting for my shipment!

They acted very quickly when my copy of "Freud" was damaged. I'm sorry you haven't had a similar experience.

JMB9

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey
I would add Grave of the Fireflies, the classic anime film, to the list of the best anti-war movies. It does such a great job of showing the effects of war on civilians through the story of two children who have been orphaned. Simply devastating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks