What's new

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Please skip this comment if you don't like negative film reviews. I enjoyed the Dollars trilogy, TGTB&TU & westerns in general. I bought the DVD of OUTITW when it was released & watched it once (my first time seeing OUTITW), I was disappointed. It's an exercise in style over substance. It has the slimmest of stories (with a sudden big reveal right at the end) punctuated by gratuitous violence & death, misogyny, stereotypes & tons of filler all set to a whimsical score. Its saving grace being the production values & locations.
This morning I streamed from Prime in HD (supposedly the Martin Scorcese / Film Foundation transfer), my opinion of the film has not changed & the transfer is many shades of brown & some blue throughout, perhaps the UHD is better?
The film is really just a homage to a genre and never intended to be more. Leone never even wanted to make another western; to make " Once upon a time in America " he had to make two more westerns for Paramount. With that said he gives us a beautiful film that highlights one of the defining genres of film. The 4k version on vudu looks really good with HDR.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My 4K/UHD is supposed to be delivered today. I'm looking forward to watching the movie in its entirety again. Once that's done, I'll try some comparisons to the Vudu 4K digital which I thought looked great on my OLEDs.
Just got notified that my copy won’t be delivered today due to a flight delay. Thanks UPS!

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The film is really just a homage to a genre and never intended to be more. Leone never even wanted to make another western; to make " Once upon a time in America " he had to make two more westerns for Paramount. With that said he gives us a beautiful film that highlights one of the defining genres of film. The 4k version on vudu looks really good with HDR.
Thanks, that explains a lot regarding my reaction to the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I tried to watch my hd iTunes copy last night. Turned it off in disgust. It doesn’t look that great.

Going to sit down in a few minutes and watch my copy. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Going to sit down in a few minutes and watch my copy. Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.
I’m debating ordering a disc or buying the new 4k digital. I bought the film via iTunes but my copy did not upgrade to 4k. Rather the title was added again as a 4k release.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I’m debating ordering a disc or buying the new 4k digital. I bought the film via iTunes but my copy did not upgrade to 4k. Rather the title was added again as a 4k release.
Yep saw that they put a new iTunes listing. Bummer in the past they would just upgrade the existing file.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I've had the 4K digital for some time from Vudu. It was $7.99 when I purchased it in October. I think it's $14.99 now on both Vudu & iTunes. I think a better deal would be to pay $30 for the disc from Amazon which includes the digital copy.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Thanks, that explains a lot regarding my reaction to the film.
There is a huge amount of difference in seeing a film like this on the big screen when first released which is how I viewed it and seeing many years later on your television, no matter how big the screen. The initial impact it had on me even though I have seen and acknowledged the nods to Ford, Hawks, other westerns, etc., still exists.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've had the 4K digital for some time from Vudu. It was $7.99 when I purchased it in October. I think it's $14.99 now on both Vudu & iTunes. I think a better deal would be to pay $30 for the disc from Amazon which includes the digital copy.
By the way, the digital code only redeems at Vudu/Fandango at Home.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have seen OUATITW more times than I can remember. The plan was to sample a few scenes and post an initial impression.

Instead, I sat and watched this film all the way through. It isn't easy to sample a film like this. Once I began watching, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It amazes me, after all these viewings, the film still feels fresh. It's a masterpiece.

The transfer seems mostly fine. It's apparent that noise reduction was done as there is a complete absence of film grain. The prior Blu-ray release was already in a class by itself, and as such, it was difficult to see just how much of a visual upgrade we were getting here, that is until I saw the film's gorgeous close-up shots with all its fine detail. That's where this 4k presentation shines the most.

The included digital code only redeems via Fandango, and hours after redeeming, it still hasn't shown up on Movies Anywhere. I don't normally redeem with that service, so the wait-to-transfer time might be normal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have seen OUATITW more times than I can remember. The plan was to sample a few scenes and post an initial impression.

Instead, I sat and watched this film all the way through. It isn't easy to sample a film like this. Once I began watching, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It amazes me, after all these viewings, the film still feels fresh. It's a masterpiece.

The transfer seems mostly fine. It's apparent that noise reduction was done as there is a complete absence of film grain. The prior Blu-ray release was already in a class by itself, and as such, it was difficult to see just how much of a visual upgrade we were getting here, that is until I saw the film's gorgeous close-up shots with all its fine detail. That's where this 4k presentation shines the most.

The included digital code only redeems via Fandango, and hours after redeeming, it still hasn't shown up on Movies Anywhere. I don't normally redeem with that service, so the wait-to-transfer time might be normal.
Paramount movies are not part of Movies Anywhere.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

That aspect completely slipped my mind. I have purchased a large handful of Paramount titles via Movies Anywhere so it seemed obvious to me that redeeming through Fandango (which is MA-compatible) would port the titles over.

But, now I remember you telling me long ago Paramount does not license their physical media digital codes to Movies Anywhere. I friggin' forgot about that.

I have $10 4k copies of BEVERLY HILLS COP, UNTOUCHABLES, SHUTTER ISLAND, and RED OCTOBER on the way in another two weeks. I am going to cancel them. I don't want my digital copies on Fandango. I want everything in one place. Probably better to purchase those digitals for $5 on Movies Anywhere than have them scattered elsewhere.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this. Completely brain-farted on the way Paramount deals with their digital copy redemption.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That aspect completely slipped my mind. I have purchased a large handful of Paramount titles via Movies Anywhere so it seemed obvious to me that redeeming through Fandango (which is MA-compatible) would port the titles over.

But, now I remember you telling me long ago Paramount does not license their physical media digital codes to Movies Anywhere. I friggin' forgot about that.

I have $10 4k copies of BEVERLY HILLS COP, UNTOUCHABLES, SHUTTER ISLAND, and RED OCTOBER on the way in another two weeks. I am going to cancel them. I don't want my digital copies on Fandango. I want everything in one place. Probably better to purchase those digitals for $5 on Movies Anywhere than have them scattered elsewhere.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this. Completely brain-farted on the way Paramount deals with their digital copy redemption.
Are you using a ATV4K unit? You can use the Fandango at Home app that will playback on iTunes/Apple TV+.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Are you using a ATV4K unit? You can use the Fandango at Home app that will playback on iTunes/Apple TV+.

I do have AT4K. Maybe I am making more of this than I should, but I would rather have all my purchases under one app. I'll install the Fandango app and see what it looks like and then make a decision on canceling the other Paramount titles.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I’d love to see mgm and paramount join movies anywhere…..

The disc is on my wish list for now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks