What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moby Dick (1956) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I thought I saw a post here last night that the blu Ray is sold-out. I managed to grab a copy from Amazon after reading that. $43 I guess is the going rate, wasn't sure what the retail price was but seems worth it. I totally forgot about this release, so I might have caught it in time. :)
I am altogether opposed to the Third-Party Seller outsourcing, which has been visited upon with the Twilight Time and Screen Archives stock, within their limited 3,000 titles.
Restrictions on quantity purchases must somehow be imposed.
Its not Piracy, but it feels damned near close to it, as TT must be suffering from the financial losses.
TT sells their titles at 30 bucks a pop; so Amazon's Third Party Seller got Nelson Au for an extra 13 clams. And such profits morally belonged to TT who placed "Moby Dick" on sale for 10 dollars less;
while the other groups recouped what TT deserved in the first place.

BUT, until that day arrives; and with that said; I congratulate Nelson Au on a good and shrewd move.
I feel that if you love "Moby Dick"; or the works of John Huston and/or DP Oswald Morris, then you will not be sorry. It's worth every penny. Although Robert Harris wrote that this work is, by no means, a restoration...I am hard pressed without an HTF Thesaurus to find the right word to replace what you'll be seeing. All I know is this; Colorist Greg Kimble did a masterful job; and masterful is at least one word that I know will not be contested.:)

P.S. to Nelson Au: Before viewing "Moby Dick", I recommend that you first watch Greg Kimble's "A Bleached Whale"; it's found within the BD and is an important primer to what you'll be seeing.
Enjoy.:cheers:

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! It's my fault for forgetting this title was out and so limited, so I'm paying the price. At least I got it. :). I let Enemy Mine slip by and I'm checking out eBay for a copy. So many titles out now!

I'll be sure to check out A Bleached Whale. Like many of you I first saw this on TV way back. It's been a long time.

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! It's my fault for forgetting this title was out and so limited, so I'm paying the price. At least I got it. :). I let Enemy Mine slip by and I'm checking out eBay for a copy. So many titles out now!

I'll be sure to check out A Bleached Whale. Like many of you I first saw this on TV way back. It's been a long time.

If you aren't specifically wanting teh TT edition -- there is a nice Region Free Australian version and a very nice B-locked Eureka release

Apparently they seem to be sourced from the same transfer. US and AUS on BD-25, UK on BD50 though apparently there isn't a lot of difference b/w them. Uk is a DTSMA 5.0 while the other 2 have 4.0. Apparently from at least one reviewer who listened to them all, some minor differences. Minor differences in limited extras on all three.

UK version is around $17 shipped,
The AUS version a bit cheaper even -- $18 from DeepDiscount.com without any discounts. It seems I've seen some people get them under $10-15 during 3rd Party sales on Amazon (Deep Discount storefront on Amazon has it for under $15)

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you aren't specifically wanting teh TT edition -- there is a nice Region Free Australian version and a very nice B-locked Eureka release

Apparently they seem to be sourced from the same transfer. US and AUS on BD-25, UK on BD50 though apparently there isn't a lot of difference b/w them. Uk is a DTSMA 5.0 while the other 2 have 4.0. Apparently from at least one reviewer who listened to them all, some minor differences. Minor differences in limited extras on all three.

UK version is around $17 shipped,
The AUS version a bit cheaper even -- $18 from DeepDiscount.com without any discounts. It seems I've seen some people get them under $10-15 during 3rd Party sales on Amazon (Deep Discount storefront on Amazon has it for under $15)

Moby Dick? The TT release is a BD-50 and sports a 2.0 (mono) track.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
No idea how I missed your 1st response saying basically the same thing. I think I started the post and finished 30 minutes later trying to watch the end of the Basketball game so I didn't see it until afterwards

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone remember the title of the Woody Allen film that had his character feeling an obligation or guilt for not yet having read "Moby Dick"?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Does anyone remember the title of the Woody Allen film that had his character feeling an obligation or guilt for not yet having read "Moby Dick"?
I think it was Zelig.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My very expensive copy of Moby Dick arrived yesterday.

I agree with the earlier post that it is not nice for third party sellers who can sell the title for inflated prices. It is a free market and so I understand if an item becomes scarce, then the price goes up.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My very expensive copy of Moby Dick arrived yesterday.

I agree with the earlier post that it is not nice for third party sellers who can sell the title for inflated prices. It is a free market and so I understand if an item becomes scarce, then the price goes up.
Under the circumstances, I would not say that your copy of "Moby Dick" was VERY expensive, at all. If TT got the money, I would say that the price; due to the special efforts put into it; was very, very fair. All in all, your investment was a downright steal. Do know that my criticisms are strictly aimed at the Third Party Sellers. Indeed, they are the ones who makes an item scarce. I suspect that they buy up the "Sale Items" in bulk, outsource the TT/SAE stocks and zip, the prices go up. No, my friend, it could have been far worse. "The Blue Max" BD; long ago Sold-Out; can now be found through Third Party Sellers for upwards of $100.00.
Pat yourself on the back, as I would have done the same for this "Moby Dick". It was a good move.
Meanwhile, enjoy. Put up your feet and savor this disc; as everyone here hopes that you will come to discover and admire the wonderful work that was achieved by Colorist Greg Kimble.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I was just being jokey about the price I paid being high and it didn't come off enough as jokey. I'm not always good at that. But yeah, I wasn't going to wait and let it slip by for that price which wasn't that high considering the investment TT made to get it in the shape it's in. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The thing is - this wasn't an instant sell out or anywhere near. And I even think the REASON it sold out was because it was put on sale at a lower price.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
November to March is pretty quick for a TT release to sell out. It's not the all-time record, but that's not exactly a slow-moving title either.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When (and it is seldom) I sell an out of print TT title on eBay, I use the .99 cent starting price just like any other disc I sell. If the movie is in great demand, I make a profit on top of my purchase price. If not, I might break even. But I don't ever want to be a "scalper." Let the market demand determine the selling price, rather than my setting it at a ridiculously inflated one from the start.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
When (and it is seldom) I sell an out of print TT title on eBay, I use the .99 cent starting price just like any other disc I sell. If the movie is in great demand, I make a profit on top of my purchase price. If not, I might break even. But I don't ever want to be a "scalper." Let the market demand determine the selling price, rather than my setting it at a ridiculously inflated one from the start.
I don't think that you would be considered a "scalper" if you rounded it up to an even dollar.
As it is, the weight of coins increases the mailing costs to the buyer.
But a paper buck is lighter and requires only a single Forever stamp.;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks