What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Moby Dick (1956) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
My DVD of Reflections for some reason is unplayable now so I hope it gets a US release on blu

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My DVD of Reflections for some reason is unplayable now so I hope it gets a US release on blu

Sometimes you can make a disc that isn't playing work for you again. Look at the surface using a magnifying glass, and you may notice what appears to be areas where there is a fine sparkling pattern. This is actually common (especially on BD-R's) and can lock your player right up. Use a non-abrasive micro cloth and press it down hard on the disc surface while wiping edge to center all the way around. Repeat until the sparkling pattern is gone.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Warner did release a blu-ray in France of Reflections. It is region locked and has forced subs so not really worth getting in my opinion. Also the blu-ray contains only the full color version and the package comes with a DVD of the "Golden" version. It would be very cool for Warner Archive to perhaps release a blu with both the color and golden versions on it. Not sure if that is on their radar but I would settle for just a US release of the film on blu...and honestly I do prefer the color version over the "golden" one. I was hoping there may be a German release of the film that at least does not have the forced subtitles.

By the way I watched the Twilight blu of Moby Dick last night and personally, I have never seen the film look this great. To be upfront I never saw this film in a theater just on television many years ago. Yes, it has that muted color scheme but that is intentional. I also think it is a well acted film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just watched MOBY DICK and concur with the positive remarks. The color scheme takes ten or fifteen minutes to adjust to (did for me, anyway), but after that, I was completely taken in. Mr. Harris: I noticed your name in the restoration credits, but hadn't known you were involved with this one. In what capacity? In any case, kudos to all. Splendid presentation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just watched MOBY DICK and concur with the positive remarks. The color scheme takes ten or fifteen minutes to adjust to (did for me, anyway), but after that, I was completely taken in. Mr. Harris: I noticed your name in the restoration credits, but hadn't known you were involved with this one. In what capacity? In any case, kudos to all. Splendid presentation.

I wasn't aware of a credit. None was necessary. My only involvement was the introduction of Mr. Kimble to the powers that be at Twilight Time.

Just trying to help some very good and passionate people.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What a fascinating film. I was 9 years old when I saw it with the family and, as Paul Seydor says in the commentary track, the film had a powerful affect. I think that even at that young age I recognised the film as something unique. The one scene that stayed in my mind for some reason was of Orson Welles delivering his sermon, rather than the scenes with the whale.

i don't remember the film looking any different to other color films of the time - but of course it was a long time ago! I do wonder though, whether UK prints, especially general release prints, retained the same color process as that which has been restored to great result on the Blu-ray. It seems to have only been posters advertising the film in America which promoted the "spectacular new color development".

Excellent set of extras on the disc, including the score and a great set of rare production stills.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think the only thing that takes me out of the film for a minute or two is the dubbing of the bartender early on -- so obviously John Huston's voice.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I watched Moby Dick this evening - I can't remember ever seeing it except perhaps on a 25" CRT decade ago. I really enjoyed the whole movie - and the last half hour is a blast. But - I can't believe no one has complained about the haloing prevalent throughout the movie. Despite the source and processing travails already discussed, I found this amount of haloing egregious and distracting. RAH, was this introduced by this TT restoration? Isn't it (is it) always a trade-off with noise/ grain/ damage etc? I viewed on my 120" screen. Still love the movie and appreciate the work done. Thanks.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I remember watching this on Bill Kennedy At The Movies(WKBD ch. 50 Detroit) on a Sunday afternoon in the early 80s. I was very young but I remember really enjoying this movie.

I didn't watch it again until this past Thanksgiving. The nostalgia factor, a welcomed rest from work, and a fantastic movie made for a grand experience.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I watched Moby Dick this evening - I can't remember ever seeing it except perhaps on a 25" CRT decade ago. I really enjoyed the whole movie - and the last half hour is a blast. But - I can't believe no one has complained about the haloing prevalent throughout the movie. Despite the source and processing travails already discussed, I found this amount of haloing egregious and distracting. RAH, was this introduced by this TT restoration? Isn't it (is it) always a trade-off with noise/ grain/ damage etc? I viewed on my 120" screen. Still love the movie and appreciate the work done. Thanks.

Apparently there is also an Australian release with similar outlines and a different (less faithful) color timing. For that release the outlines seem to be a bit lighter overall but it also looks softer:
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=525&y=306&d1=9482&d2=9113&s1=91736&s2=87868&l=0&i=6&go=1

This is obviously mostly an optical effect with a little bit added on top by sharpening. Judging by the caps this still looks to be rather underwhelming with regard to detail so I can understand that TT or whoever worked on it for them wanted to give it at least a little bit of snap.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I personally did not notice any haloing or distracting artifacts on a 100" screen. I was very pleased with the final result.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Here's a couple clips from the movie, just to show what I am referring to, with the halos.
MD2.png
MD3.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Here's a couple clips from the movie, just to show what I am referring to, with the halos.
View attachment 35436 View attachment 35437

What you're seeing are improperly composited masters.

If you feel this is a problem, thank MGM for there work.

In theIR master, as delivered, there was a magenta outline on one side, and a cyan on the other.

Pretty, actually.

If one likes that sort of thing.

As seen, 90% of the problem has been eliminated.

RAH

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Digital enhancement is subject to personal taste. I'd rather have things look like film, even if that means grain and softness. But some folks feel otherwise.

schmenz

Auditioning
Real Name
danny
Like many I saw the film MOBY DICK as a boy and found it awe-inspiring, in many ways a "traumatic" experience, like seeing THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD or JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, two other traumatic experiences. And seeing it later as an adult I still find it an excellent, beautiful film.

Re: the bluray, let me say immediately that I admire the efforts to bring it to home video. The laserdisc was a great job too, I might add. I suppose the only opinion I could express would be more of a lament than anything else, and Mr Harris has described the problems perfectly: the instability of Eastman negative stock and the loss of the unique, unequalled dye-transfer printing process known as IB Technicolor, a process so versatile that almost anything, any kind of pallette, could be achieved.

Through the kind help of the late Ossie Morris and the late Wilkie Cooper I was able to view an original IB release print, one that had the color process presented as designed by the cameraman and director. I would not describe it at all as "washed-out" or completely desaturated. On the contrary, it has the look of an old painting that has been sitting around for a century or two, gathering dust and smoke stains along the way, and looking lovely. Here is where, I believe, no digital or video process can be of much help (Mr Harris can correct me here if I am in error) in reproducing such a look. While the work done on the bluray is admirable I suppose to restore it into something that only Technicolor could achieve would be impossible. That said, I think they took out too much of the color, but that is of course a personal judgment, though one based on having the good fortune of seeing the original, on film. That all being stated I still liked the bluray and I encourage everyone to buy this wonderful movie, a work of art in my humble opinion.

Twilight Time is a company that deserves very high marks. Even when I am disappointed - as I was with the lacklustre bluray of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (again, comparing it to a 35mm IB Technicolor print in my collection) - I am still pleased for the efforts being made. May they go from strength to strength.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Like many I saw the film MOBY DICK as a boy and found it awe-inspiring, in many ways a "traumatic" experience, like seeing THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD or JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, two other traumatic experiences. And seeing it later as an adult I still find it an excellent, beautiful film.

Re: the bluray, let me say immediately that I admire the efforts to bring it to home video. The laserdisc was a great job too, I might add. I suppose the only opinion I could express would be more of a lament than anything else, and Mr Harris has described the problems perfectly: the instability of Eastman negative stock and the loss of the unique, unequalled dye-transfer printing process known as IB Technicolor, a process so versatile that almost anything, any kind of pallette, could be achieved.

Through the kind help of the late Ossie Morris and the late Wilkie Cooper I was able to view an original IB release print, one that had the color process presented as designed by the cameraman and director. I would not describe it at all as "washed-out" or completely desaturated. On the contrary, it has the look of an old painting that has been sitting around for a century or two, gathering dust and smoke stains along the way, and looking lovely. Here is where, I believe, no digital or video process can be of much help (Mr Harris can correct me here if I am in error) in reproducing such a look. While the work done on the bluray is admirable I suppose to restore it into something that only Technicolor could achieve would be impossible. That said, I think they took out too much of the color, but that is of course a personal judgment, though one based on having the good fortune of seeing the original, on film. That all being stated I still liked the bluray and I encourage everyone to buy this wonderful movie, a work of art in my humble opinion.

Twilight Time is a company that deserves very high marks. Even when I am disappointed - as I was with the lacklustre bluray of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (again, comparing it to a 35mm IB Technicolor print in my collection) - I am still pleased for the efforts being made. May they go from strength to strength.

One can only attain a look based upon what is available at the start.

In this case, not much.

Could the original textures and colors of the original be replicated, if desired, in the digital domain?

Quite beautifully.

I've already achieved that, in testing another title, that also shared the same technology.

RAH

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

You're the first person that I've read stating that the Man For All Seasons blu Ray is anything less than stellar. Though I saw AMFAS
During it's roadshow run so many years ago the Blu Ray seemed off to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks