What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ask almost any cinephile how many romanic comedies Rock Hudson made in the '60s, and the number might be around a dozen - probably equal to the number of films he made for Douglas Sirk.

But the reality is far less.

Beginning with Pillow Talk in 1959, there's Come September (1961), Lover Come Back (1961), Man's Favorite Sport (1964), Send Me No Flowers (1964), Strange Bedfellows (1965) and A Very Special Favor (1965).

This group of seven comes down a few essentials: Pillow Talk, Strange Bedfellows and possibly A Very Special Favor.

This unfortunately leaves Man's Favorite Sport as an also-ran, except for one important point.

It's a comedy from Howard Hawks, and that's a rarity, especially for a filmmaker who began his career in 1917. For those out of the look, Mr. Hawks was generally known for his manly films and westerns. If you've not heard of him, you have some catching up to do.

As to MFS, it's a quality release from Kino, presumably derived from a nice IP, with no real problems of any sort. While Pillow Talk will remain the Hudson vehicle of it's type, MFS is still worthwhile.

Image – 3.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hawks made a few "minor" comedies: "Bringing Up Baby," "His Girl Friday," "Ball of Fire," "I Was a Male War Bride," "Monkey Business," "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and "Twentieth Century."
Every single one black & white, except one. And for the record was never given the opportunity to direct a Bond film, even though Dr. No was originally budgeted to be shot in black & white.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If picking three, I would place MFS third (good support from Paula, Maria Perschy and Charlene Holt), nice blu ray. Second would be Come September (best with Gina +Walter Slezak), lovely location cinematography. First (for most of us) has to be Pillow Talk, a classic of the genre and best with Doris.

Note to KL: can we please have 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal?' (great early Rock Hudson comedy).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If picking three, I would place MFS third (good support from Paula, Maria Perschy and Charlene Holt), nice blu ray. Second would be Come September (best with Gina +Walter Slezak), lovely location cinematography. First (for most of us) has to be Pillow Talk, a classic of the genre and best with Doris.

Note to KL: can we please have 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal?' (great early Rock Hudson comedy).
Douglas Sirk never made a comedy.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Douglas Sirk never made a comedy.
You mean La Paloma with Zarah Leander trapped in Puerto Rico, married to a nasty Spanish landowner; with a child suffering from Puerto Rican fever who can only be saved (as she is) by the ministrations of a handsome Aryan, is not a comedy?:D

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You mean La Paloma with Zarah Leander trapped in Puerto Rico, married to a nasty Spanish landowner; with a child suffering from Puerto Rican fever who can only be saved (as she is) by the ministrations of a handsome Aryan, is not a comedy?:D
You mean, "La Paloma" wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

That's more Theater of the Absurd, which is a little different than a comedy.

Anyway, Zarah Leander wasn't trapped in Puerto Rico, but UFA, which turned out to be a lot worse, especially considering who happened to be the CEO of the Zarah Leander fan club.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You mean, "La Paloma" wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

That's more Theater of the Absurd, which is a little different than a comedy.

Anyway, Zarah Leander wasn't trapped in Puerto Rico, but UFA, which turned out to be a lot worse, especially considering who happened to be the CEO of the Zarah Leander fan club.
And she couldn't distance herself from him soon enough! I understand he looked like Charlie Chaplin's Tramp. Poor woman. I really liked her looks and her deep, very deep contralto.
I'll grant you that La Paloma is as absurd as it gets, particularly to this native Puerto Rican who laughed throughout the whole film.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's hard to defend "Man's Favorite Sport". But I'm going to. According to Stanley Donen, he asked Cary Grant to be in "Charade" but Grant had already committed to being in "Man's Favorite Sport", though after working on it a few days, decided the script was no good, quit and went back to doing "Charade". It's "Bringing Up Baby" at a much slower pace, so you can anticipate all the gags long before they appear. The jokes and plotline have been used before, which is something Hawks did a lot in the 1960's. Sometimes, as in "El Dorado", that recycling works. It doesn't here. But I like it anyway. Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss have wonderful chemistry--in fact, this is my favorite Paul Prentiss performance--and, oh I don't know, watching Hawks repeat all those situations and camera angles from older, better films is a little like heaven for me. It has something to do with love, I guess, as I love all those early comedies of his: "Twentieth Century", "His Girl Friday" and so on. There's also tradition and the fact he's still doing it. It's the essence of cinema; a very specific way of pointing a camera and working with actors. It's personal and specific in the way all works of art are. The film has a sense of freedom about it, even if it's slower than molasses in January. It's like drinking a Montrachet from a less than perfect year; it's the same marvelous grapes, distinctive and unique, but those the flavors may not blend together as well as in the past. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
My Rock/Universal trifecta is SPORT, FLOWERS and LOVER, the latter being a superior remake of PILLOW, a film I find somewhat overrated.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Nothing about the fabulous commentary? :emoji_cry:
In my case, I watched the film tonight, and you get my time when I get up in the morning. We'll have to have muted trumpets, since my wife will still be sleeping.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My Rock/Universal trifecta is SPORT, FLOWERS and LOVER, the latter being a superior remake of PILLOW, a film I find somewhat overrated.

We have watched all four that you mention over the last year or so and also Blindfold and had a lot of fun.
Lover Come Back is our favorite among the Doris Day / Rock Hudson movies.

As for Man's Favorite Sport it is said it would have been better with Gary Grant but I doubt that as Rock Hudson is very good in his role and as has been pointed out has very good chemistry with Paula Prentiss. In any case I am glad that Gary Grant went on to do Charade and Rock Hudson Man's Favorite Sport - love them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks