What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Guy Richie's The Covenant – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unless a filmmaker is so widely known, and therefore a part of marketing - think Alfred Hitchcock - I sometimes find it odd when a director's name is placed above and part of a film's title.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed some of his work.

Guy Richie's The Covenant is a film that left me oddly uncomfortable, and because of politics I'm unable to go into it here, but let's just say that it seemed to play a bit fast and loose with America's entry into and exit from Afghanistan.

At it's base, this is a tale of trust and comradeship - that has been Ritchie-ized, much in the way that a film can be Bay-ized.

But we'll not get into the film, which has some very nice performances, superb set pieces and great audio.

The most interesting aspect for me was how terrific it looked. A Blu-ray from MGM via WB, that in projection is pretty much indistinguishable from a 4k. The fact that the film was finished in 4k from 6k files probably didn't hurt, but it makes the point once again...

That every release need not be 4k, and probably 40-50% are wasting that 4k bucket.

This one is not. It uses the 2k bucket to absolute advantage.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 3

Slipcover rating - 2 - It has an attractive matte finish, but otherwise reproduces what's beneath

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

YANG

Screenwriter
i was expecting The Convenant to be release with Lions for Lambs as a dual feature pack, since both are military dramas with backdrop in Afganistan...
812047p018L._SL1500_.jpg

...until i realize...
A1fjomHq0oL._SL1500_.jpg

the latter rights might still be in FOX's hand.​

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I was very happy with the 4K presentation both in picture and sound quality. I like the film very much as RAH states, great set pieces and performances. The film is a "by the numbers" movie, but when you look at the majority of junk that's being heaped on the general public lately, this is in top form. I will say that the film was very tense and kept that feeling throughout.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
They may have decided to use Guy Richie's name in title so as not confuse the film with another film with same title...'The Covenant' from 2006.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I was very happy with the 4K presentation both in picture and sound quality. I like the film very much as RAH states, great set pieces and performances. The film is a "by the numbers" movie, but when you look at the majority of junk that's being heaped on the general public lately, this is in top form. I will say that the film was very tense and kept that feeling throughout.

I thought this was on bluray only...and not 4K UHD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks