What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goldeneye -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Goldeneye was NOT scanned in at 4k for the dvd/blu ray master. Lowry only went up to Man With The Golden Gun for those.

Furthermore the only blu ray with a new transfer was for The Spy Who Loved Me.

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
That's a whole can of worms. In the case of the Bond films, the 4K UHD versions seem to have addressed many of the issues that were present on the Blu-rays. Credits are no longer pillarboxed and GoldenEye has a proper transfer. That's not to say everything is perfect. Thunderball went back to the "new" 5.1 track created in 2006 and it's atrocious. The Blu-ray uses the much more accurate 5.1 track created in the 90s.

If you have Amazon Prime you can watch the 4K UHD transfer of GoldenEye right now! LINK
Thank you for sharing this - boy oh boy it'd be nice to get a UHD of Goldeneye that looks comparable to this - literally just rewatched the bluray and it is disappointing to say the least. DNR is literally one of the worst things to ever happen in home cinema.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Goldeneye was NOT scanned in at 4k for the dvd/blu ray master. Lowry only went up to Man With The Golden Gun for those.

Not true. Moonraker was also a 4K scan. Lowry did not work on the films in chronological order. They skipped around. Some movies they did new scans from the film elements, while others they applied their digital processing and clean-up to existing HD masters.

In fact, The Man with the Golden Gun was not a 4K scan. It was just a Lowry touch-up.

At the end of each movie in the Ultimate Edition DVD set and the Blu-rays should be an extra credit card for the Lowry restoration. Some specify "4K film scanning." Here's Moonraker:

moonraker.jpg

Others pointedly leave that line out. Here's Golden Gun:

goldengun.jpg

Furthermore the only blu ray with a new transfer was for The Spy Who Loved Me.

This is correct. The only Blu-rays without a Lowry credit at the end are Spy Who Loved Me (for which MGM or Fox struck a brand new 4K master without Lowry), GoldenEye (which was sourced from an older DVD-era master to correct the framing issue), and the Daniel Craig movies (which were new enough the studio didn't feel they needed "restoration").

However, the Ultimate Edition DVD of GoldenEye should have that "4K film scanning" credit. That disc had very different framing than prior DVD editions, indicating a new film scan. But the framing was so off that the studio felt they couldn't use it again for the Blu-ray.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'll have to watch the Blu-ray disc of GoldenEye again because I didn't notice that it was from a DVD master. (GoldenEye is one of the few James Bond films that I revisit periodically)

Not to sound too elitist, but how large a screen are you watching on? Some of the problems with that disc may not be as noticeable on smaller screens.

To be clear, the GoldenEye Blu-ray is a high-definition transfer. It is not in standard-def. It should look better than the DVD. However, that high-def master was originally struck for the earliest DVD release from around 1997.

Almost all of the major studios began scanning their films in 1080p by the mid-'90s, even before high-definition media was available for home use, believing they could future-proof their investments. Those high-def masters were downconverted to 480i for DVD, but might show up on cable in 720p or 1080i. Unfortunately, the quality of those masters dated very badly and the studios had to redo most of them anyway by the time Blu-ray came along.

The GoldenEye Blu-ray has a middling sense of image detail, comparable to a cable broadcast, as well as DNR and edge enhancement problems. I listed some time codes of artifacts to look for in post 79 of this thread:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Has Goldeneye been rereleased in a better edition? It’s my fav, I want a good quality disc…
Not on disc. The streaming 4K edition is available on several platforms and looks wonderful, but two dissolves were missed and are replaced with hard cuts.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjweav
Recent bookmarks