What's new

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
STARMAN is the only film in the set I want. That has been the case with all these Columbia sets. I want one film. I wish they would release them, individually. I guess it's working for them, but certainly not for me.

I'm the opposite. I want enough of the films in each set that it's worth the money, even if there's one or two films in the set I'm (at best) indifferent to, and would never buy as individual titles.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
STARMAN is the only film in the set I want. That has been the case with all these Columbia sets. I want one film. I wish they would release them, individually. I guess it's working for them, but certainly not for me.

Well, I'm interested in is His Girl Friday and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? so MAYBE we can find someone (or some ones) interested in Sleepless In Seattle, Kramer vs Kramer, and Punch Drunk Love and make a proper split of it!

(and I'm only half-joking)

Last edited:

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I really dislike having to buy these sets And end up wanting just some of the titles. This set for me is worth it though because four of the films are films I like plus the TV series in HD (but not 4K) for Starman.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Mine, all mine. Another magnificent (and solidly built) Columbia Classics 4K box set. Keep them coming!
20240224_064652.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I want a couple out of this set. This box set stuff maybe highly collectible, but I hate it. I want the movies I like, not what a studio thinks I need. The two movies I want are going for insane amounts on E-Bay right now, I'll probably just end up buying the set, and selling the other films I don't want on E-Bay. It will probably pay for near the price of the boxset itself.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I want a couple out of this set. This box set stuff maybe highly collectible, but I hate it. I want the movies I like, not what a studio thinks I need. The two movies I want are going for insane amounts on E-Bay right now
Well, this is what I've done so far. I paid ludicrous amounts for two 4Ks I wanted from two such boxes, namely Oliver (70€) and Call me by your name (85€)!
I never thought of buying the sets and selling the films I don't want, but again, this seems such a hassle for me.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I want a couple out of this set. This box set stuff maybe highly collectible, but I hate it. I want the movies I like, not what a studio thinks I need. The two movies I want are going for insane amounts on E-Bay right now, I'll probably just end up buying the set, and selling the other films I don't want on E-Bay. It will probably pay for near the price of the boxset itself.
Give in, go with the flow and enjoy where Grover Crisp is leading us. This has been the model for four volumes running straight. To my view, it’s truly a superb series with each expansive entry. It will ultimately become a full tapestry of the Columbia/Sony legacy. I’m predicting a Volume 5 within this 100th anniversary year.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well, this is what I've done so far. I paid ludicrous amounts for two 4Ks I wanted from two such boxes, namely Oliver (70€) and Call me by your name (85€)!
I never thought of buying the sets and selling the films I don't want, but again, this seems such a hassle for me.

You're going to hate me for saying this, but (although it's a bit of a pain) I bought the Sony Pictures Classics 4K box because I was desperate for the 4K of Call Me By Your Name. I put all the others on ebay (starting at a penny) and let the marketplace decide how much they were worth to people. I wound up getting Call Me for free and still made a little money on the set on top of that. You'd be surprised what other people will pay for stuff we don't want.

If you have a little time to make the money back, it really does work!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
If anyone is wondering about the new restoration of His Girl Friday, here's a comparison between the blu-rays of Criterion and Sony (not my screenshots).
You can see for example how better is the texture on Grant's suit on the Sony edition.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If anyone is wondering about the new restoration of His Girl Friday, here's a comparison between the blu-rays of Criterion and Sony (not my screenshots).
You can see for example how better is the texture on Grant's suit on the Sony edition.
My rationale to purchase.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You're going to hate me for saying this, but (although it's a bit of a pain) I bought the Sony Pictures Classics 4K box because I was desperate for the 4K of Call Me By Your Name. I put all the others on ebay (starting at a penny) and let the marketplace decide how much they were worth to people. I wound up getting Call Me for free and still made a little money on the set on top of that. You'd be surprised what other people will pay for stuff we don't want.

If you have a little time to make the money back, it really does work!
Capitol idea, Will. A penny and let the marketplace decide. If only the other sellers were as less greedy. Class, my good Mr. Krupp, real class.👍

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
If this box contained more movies that I love like The Professionals, On the Waterfront, The Caine Mutiny to name a few then perhaps I would be a nervous Nellie too. However, the only two movies I really love in this box are His Girl Friday and Starman. I also have a genuine fondness for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, though it's short of those other two titles.

I'm lukewarm on Sleepless in Seattle, Kramer vs. Kramer and Punch-Drunk Love. Good movies, but not among my favorite films.
Agree. It seems like Sony is attempting to pad out their franchise by dragging out and parceling off the top-tier titles they know will sell, but confining them to one or two per set with others that are good, but not widely anticipated and making those titles ONLY available in these sets so you absolutely have to buy to own. The exception here was, of course, Lawrence, which later received an independent release. How could it not.

But not considering catalog like The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Guns of Navarone for inclusion, but offering them separately is odd marketing. Surely either is more of a classic in every sense of the word than Punk Drunk Love.

It's also odd Sony tries to force-feed us some movies that are just too young to be considered bona fide classics in these sets. Not saying Punch Drunk Love, As Good As It Gets or Jerry Maguire don't deserve releases in 4K. Just not in these sets.

Re: Sleepless in Seattle. It's never looked great on home video and this 4K UHD is no exception to that rule. Bought this set. Love the quality overall. But SIS still looks anemic, with oddly muted colors and weaker than anticipated contrast.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Capitol idea, Will. A penny and let the marketplace decide. If only the other sellers were as less greedy. Class, my good Mr. Krupp, real class.👍

Thank you for the kind words, Philip, but it's really not as altruistic as it sounds! The purpose is to get a lot of "watchers" early on and run the auction for at least a week so they can follow it and bid against each other. None of them sold for a penny, lol.

It's been awhile but I think I had to clear something like $12 a title to make my money back and get Call Me for free. As long as I hit that goal, I was happy. A couple of the lower demand titles (like Still Alice and Celluloid Closet) went for as low as $6 but some of the higher demand stuff wound up going above $40, so it all worked out.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sony is selling the set on their Ebay store for $183 and change. Plus it's included in their buy 3 get an additional 10% off code, 10OFF3MOVIEZ. Still not a great price but you are buying domestically in case there are any problems. Free shipping and seller pays for return shipping if returned within 30 days.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Sony is selling the set on their Ebay store for $183 and change. Plus it's included in their buy 3 get an additional 10% off code, 10OFF3MOVIEZ. Still not a great price but you are buying domestically in case there are any problems. Free shipping and seller pays for return shipping if returned within 30 days.

Appears that the same Sony Storefront is selling on Walmart Marketplace for $149

Still not as good as the Deep Discount price though DD is now backordered again.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
howdy robert!

i'm curious about your thoughts on Sony's ATMOS mixes for various titles they've been releasing over the years such as:: lawrence of arabia, anatomy of murder, guns of navarine, etc and even the ones included on this columbia classics volume 4k.

i took some time recently to really dig in and compare the ATMOS tracks of each catalog title and their non-ATMOS mixes and to my ears... it is NIGHT & DAY.

for example navarone felt like a michael bay movie they really added a massive bottom end for such an old film that didn't exist on the blu-ray DTS-HD Master tracks. even a simple thing like a jeep driving across the screen felt like a massive modern 2024 mix.

it was similar with anatomy of a murder, all of the logic steering felt like a brand new 2024 film! it was pretty amazing.

what do you think of the Sony decisions to make add these ATMOS mixes that basically feels like these films were made today from a soundtrack perspective vs. their original audio tracks which is often just mono?

i personally felt like it brought a NEW life to viewing vs. original audio.

Footloose doesn't disturb me. It's a more than okay release.

One needs to understand that some titles are requested for release by home video, and occasionally an older master is taken off the shelf, and upgraded or not.

That occurred at Universal for a few titles a number of years ago. It happens.

Seeing the latest from Paramount, such as Gunfight at the OK Corral instills confidence that as long as new masters are used, we shouldn't be seeing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks