What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I shall be buying this, there's no chance of many other (lesser) classic titles being released if the important ones are not supported, particularly large format films which would definitely show an improvement on 4k. How many classic titles will Warners release on 4k each year, one or two.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
according to?
You have a reputation for eloquence which I can now understand …

per a blurb from the other site

The new Casablanca 4K Blu-ray image was restored and remastered from a 2022 4K 16bit film scan of the best-surviving nitrate film elements. The 4K-scanned digital images went through an extensive digital restoration process to clean and repair the picture for an unprecedented and pristine ultra-high-resolution presentation. The restored images were then graded in High Dynamic Range for today's premium 4K display experience, providing the highest fidelity in image contrast and detail retention. This work was meticulously handled by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. The original theatrical mono audio has also been newly restored as well, providing a richer and broader frequency response than previously possible.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting that people not purchase this new 4k. It’s the best it’s ever looked (and sounded) in decades. But it’s really aimed at those who either don’t have the earlier very high quality Blu-ray, or love the film enough to buy it one more time.

It does have an uptick in image quality, and the audio should sound a bit better on high end systems, but I see this as for the projector / multi-speaker base, where at that always mentioned nominal seating distance the grain inconsistencies become transparent and the audio upgrade might be noticed.

For those who never got around to the latest Blu-ray, it’s Casablanca nirvana. To be sure, the application of delicate HDR helps a bit with blacks, but beyond that, there’s nothing here approaching 4k resolution.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I'm really only interested in buying films from the fifties onward on 4K, esp. when there's already a great looking Blu-ray of a 30s & 40s b/w film. The 70th Anniversary will do for me, I even like the release before that one, as I grew up seeing a lighter flatter image of Casablanca on TV for many decades (right back to the sixties).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting that people not purchase this new 4k. It’s the best it’s ever looked (and sounded) in decades. But it’s really aimed at those who either don’t have the earlier very high quality Blu-ray, or love the film enough to buy it one more time.

It does have an uptick in image quality, and the audio should sound a bit better on high end systems, but I see this as for the projector / multi-speaker base, where at that always mentioned nominal seating distance the grain inconsistencies become transparent and the audio upgrade might be noticed.

For those who never got around to the latest Blu-ray, it’s Casablanca nirvana. To be sure, the application of delicate HDR helps a bit with blacks, but beyond that, there’s nothing here approaching 4k resolution.
Well, mine is out for delivery this morning via our highly efficient USPS.:D So I'll be watching it very closely on my OLED and listening on my 7.2.4 speaker setup, though, I won't be utilizing most of those speakers with this particular movie.;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Ultimate Collector's Edition", though I guess they actually called it "70th Anniversary Collector's Edition":

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'll just keep the UCE as my personal copy since it's got so many bonus features not found here.
What bonus features are missing from the new release?

I'm looking forward to the new release, even though I have the blu-ray. The steelbook package was simply too good to pass up, especially since my blu-ray is a single disc (not a box set). I've said elsewhere that most movies you want to have minimal packaging so they don't take up too much room on the shelf. Others, like this one, deserve their own shelf.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There was a three disc 70th Anniversary big box release that had a humongous amount of extras including the full WB documentary, You Must Remember This: The Warner Brothers Story (in SD). I have the Dutch two-disc release that has everything the big box has except the third disc, which is only the film on DVD.

I've just checked & it's not at all rare, the (UK) HMV release is the full three disc edition.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, mine is out for delivery this morning via our highly efficient USPS.:D So I'll be watching it very closely on my OLED and listening on my 7.2.4 speaker setup, though, I won't be utilizing most of those speakers with this particular movie.;)
Yes. Doubtful, you’ll be hearing much via the 2.4. Should be 2.0.0.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Your review is kind of contradictory because you very highly recommend it, but it’s not an upgrade from the Blu-ray.

Maybe yes, maybe no. He did say that this is the version to get if you don't already own the movie, but if you do own it on BD, no reason to upgrade. So...not that contradictory.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
"Ultimate Collector's Edition", though I guess they actually called it "70th Anniversary Collector's Edition":

Well, those are actually two separate releases. The UCE in 2008, the 70th in 2012. :)

Casablanca UCE.jpg
Casablanca 70.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You have a reputation for eloquence which I can now understand …

per a blurb from the other site

The new Casablanca 4K Blu-ray image was restored and remastered from a 2022 4K 16bit film scan of the best-surviving nitrate film elements. The 4K-scanned digital images went through an extensive digital restoration process to clean and repair the picture for an unprecedented and pristine ultra-high-resolution presentation. The restored images were then graded in High Dynamic Range for today's premium 4K display experience, providing the highest fidelity in image contrast and detail retention. This work was meticulously handled by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. The original theatrical mono audio has also been newly restored as well, providing a richer and broader frequency response than previously possible.
Is the MOMA the best surviving mateirial or has another been found since 2012? Amazing that WB's has a lot of original negs from the 1930's etc yet Casablanca's is kaput

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Is the MOMA the best surviving mateirial or has another been found since 2012? Amazing that WB's has a lot of original negs from the 1930's etc yet Casablanca's is kaput

It's been said that the more popular a film, the more likely its original elements will be subjected to wear and tear. I imagine Casablanca's suffered more than its fair share of use and abuse.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Maybe yes, maybe no. He did say that this is the version to get if you don't already own the movie, but if you do own it on BD, no reason to upgrade. So...not that contradictory.
Point being that the work performed to bring the film to the uber-revealing 4k world deserves high praise. You’ve taken my ratings correctly.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It's been said that the more popular a film, the more likely its original elements will be subjected to wear and tear. I imagine Casablanca's suffered more than its fair share of use and abuse.
The 2012 article said the neg is long gone - said that the best element was a 1942 FGM that was made off the neg by MOMA

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whatever! Mine just arrived so RAH's review doesn't matter to me now as I will make up my own mind as to how good this 4K disc looks on my OLEDs.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have the same trouble, Sir.
YIKES!!!! Mr Harris any truth to the statement years ago that Ms Bergman had to give her okay to release the film on video due to her original contract?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks