What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about…™ An Act of Murder – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An Act of Murder, a 1948 Universal production, directed by Michael Gordon, is one of those tiny, extraordinary films, of which most people are totally unaware, and that's a pity.

Starring Fredric March and Florence Eldridge (Mrs. March), along with Edmond O'Brien and Geraldine Brooks, it's one of those films that can affect the viewer for days. Wonderfully acted, with a story of great importance, it should not be overlooked now that it's available via Kino.

The film has always looked off. It's a dupe of a dupe of a dupe at best in most shots. It's actually difficult to find shots that aren't original dupe - the element used as a source is probably fourth of fifth generation. There are so many printer functions in the film, that one almost never gets out of a dupe.

For that reason, we'll be far more accepting of the loss of shadow detail and occasionally extremely course grain structure. The film is what it is.

Just go with this one. Grab a copy. Sit at a nominal distance from the screen and all will be well.

Did I mention that it's a master's class in acting?

Image – 3.5

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - probably

Highly Recommended

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To the best of my knowledge, this movie has never been released on DVD in Region 1. I'm not surprise that it's PQ isn't that good, but I'm glad it's been released on Blu-ray. I'm really looking forward to this Film Noir Volume 4 from Kino with "Calcutta" and "Six Bridges to Cross" as the other two titles in this trilogy release.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
To the best of my knowledge, this movie has never been released on DVD in Region 1. I'm not surprise that it's PQ isn't that good, but I'm glad it's been released on Blu-ray. I'm really looking forward to this Film Noir Volume 4 from Kino with "Calcutta" and "Six Bridges to Cross" as the other two titles in this trilogy release.
It's another one that was released as a DVD MOD Universal Vault Series a while back.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Powerful film that I saw for the first time when I moved to NYC in the early '70s. The Marches are very good.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Never had the pleasure of seeing this one. In fact, I've never heard of it. But any film with Fredric March, Edmond O'Brien, and Geraldine Brooks in the cast sounds like a must watch. Will have to remedy that soon.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I thought the blu ray is just okay. My biggest complaint is one reel having several vertical black lines and 1 white (scratches) on the right side that is extremely distracting and continues for the entire reel. I guess it's easier to get rid of reel change markings than continuous lines nowadays. I guess the dupe they used must have had the scratches already there. I will have to check the MOD version.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the blu ray is just okay. My biggest complaint is one reel having several vertical black lines and 1 white (scratches) on the right side that is extremely distracting and continues for the entire reel. I guess it's easier to get rid of reel change markings than continuous lines nowadays. I guess the dupe they used must have had the scratches already there. I will have to check the MOD version.
Yes, the 2016 DVD has the same vertical black lines and white scratch on the right side. Like RAH stated, this movie has never looked based on my previous viewing on TCM as the film elements used for this BD release are generations removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks