What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Yesterday I saw several copies of the digibook edition at my local Target, so that version is either still in print or it's old stock. Was wondering if the digibook edition was ever "corrected" and, if so, what UPC # should I look for? I don't own any other copy of the film and might get this if it's 'corrected'. Though it may be botched - and God willing, a new remaster is in the offing - I will take green over black fade-out any day.

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
There is NO correct, or corrected, version.

There are only incorrect and "corrected" versions, and there's been absolutely NO hint of any new work being done.

Edit: Sorry, just had some more coffee and your last sentence came into focus. I doubt the Target exclusive got the "correction" (aren't those usually a limited run?), so you might get your preferred green. For me in this case, wrong is wrong and I don't even remember which I have.

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
There is NO correct, or corrected, version.

There are only incorrect and "corrected" versions, and there's been absolutely NO hint of any new work being done.

Edit: Sorry, just had some more coffee and your last sentence came into focus. I doubt the Target exclusive got the "correction" (aren't those usually a limited run?), so you might get your preferred green. For me in this case, wrong is wrong and I don't even remember which I have.

I agree. At this point who cares. I couldn't even get the "latest" version of this BD through the Fox "replacement" program. I don't think anyone at Fox is even aware of a "corrected" version anymore. They simply sent me the same original release as a replacement even though I took pains in an email to say there was no defect in the disc, and I just wanted the fixed version that was issued after the initial release. And don't get me started on Universal's customer service which is abysmal.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I put quotation marks around "corrected" - just like that :) - to make it clear I'm aware the problem was never actually fixed.. I just wanted to know if anyone had the UPC for the "corrected" Target digibook (provided it ever existed, ofcourse). As I said, I'll still take 'green' over such an interruption (black fadeout) in the picture, however brief..
it still amazes me - even though I know it shouldn't - how such a sophisticated Hollywood studio as MGM is capable of such screw-ups (again, referring to "corrected" version)..

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
How in the world with today's computer and cgi wizardry could they have not easily corrected this? They can take out specs by repeating common areas in concurrent frames -- and this was a freeze frame to begin with! Like I said before, as crazy as it sounds, this is my favorite part of the film.

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
C'mon, MGM, cough up a few bucks and fix this.. Maybe you're waiting to make sure Ultra HD BD is here to stay, but this being the 55th anniversary of WSS - and every WSS/ N. Wood/ Sondheim/ Bernstein fanatic out there KNOWS it - it'd be as ideal a time as any for a quietly corrected reissue (not to mention Boomers aren't getting any younger). As I may have said before, if this were say "Friday the 13th part (insert roman numeral)", such a mistake would be relatively forgivable (well, for all but FT13th fans) but this is WEST SIDE STORY, practically the "Citizen Kane" of musicals. C'mon, MGM!

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Compared to what MGM has released of their other large format releases this is mostly a satisfactory Blu-ray and to my knowledge work has been done in 4k already. What errors remain should be easily fixable without a major financial outlay, it is just a matter of doing the right thing.

Of course I would applaud a release on 4k UHD Blu-ray but given the fact that this is an MGM property I am not holding my breath.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Instant day 1, UHD sale for me!
I don't even have a player yet, but to support the format, WSS and to encourage other older titles on UHD disc, I would jump on it!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Hmmm-m-m-m...do you think we've possibly got enough HTF members here to collectively buy the MGM catalogue; lock, stock and barrel?
What dreams may come.:)

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Based upon MGM's track record I fear the only way we're ever going to 'see' a corrected transfer/restoration is if MGM licenses WST to the Criterion Collection.

GREAT NEWS hopefully (?)

There is a phantom page for Jerome Robbins at Criterion site, as was pointed out by members in other forums, that most likely refers to West Side Story!
https://www.criterion.com/people/125076
This also fits the clue in this New Year's Drawing, where it has 2 Cuban flags with musical notes around them.
One was for Buena Vista Social CLub, so the 2nd could be for West Side Story!!

Hope it's a correct version now coming from a new 4k scan, and not just the same transfer!

Last edited:

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Well a Cuban flag wouldn't be relevant to West Side Story (the Sharks are Puerto Rican, not Cuban), but the phantom Jerome Robbins page is very encouraging!!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Well a Cuban flag wouldn't be relevant to West Side Story (the Sharks are Puerto Rican, not Cuban), but the phantom Jerome Robbins page is very encouraging!!

oh, ok then. The Puerto RIco flag has the exact opposite colors of Cuban flag (which of course can't be seen in the B&W Criterion drawing)
puertoricocubaflags.jpg

So, i guess that's why the 2 flags had opposite directions!:)

wackynewyear2017_original.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks