What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Vertigo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
If I can't have Doris' entire apartment, is there a way I can get the divine spiral staircase?

DD_Show_-_Staris_003.jpg

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
JohnMor said:
Wow! GREAT pic!

I've wanted to live in S.F. in both 1957 (specifically in Scotty's apartment) or in 1971 (specifically in Doris Day's apartment over Palucci's Italian Restaurant) for years. Sigh.
AnthonyClarke said:
I might just join you in Doris's 1971 apartment. And my partner Robyn will tag along too as she's crazy about Doris.
Which flights from Melbourne Australia connect to that time/place locale? Fashions haven't changed much so that's no prob.
I want space in there with both of you as long as I can hang out with Kaye Ballard!!!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I wouldn't be surprised. Doris had a larger creative hand in her sitcom after the first season. She was instrumental in getting the location of the show permanently switched from the provincial farm to San Francisco.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
No longer "over the top." I have yet to be able to view the entire film, but generally it seems far more accurate to what we would have like it to be.

RAH
Hiya there Robert,

Does it contain the audio original commentary session (some re-packed DVD editions over the years have been bare bones).

Extras on the DVD edition I have are same as the THX Signature collection, not that I own it yet.

The Foley OTT is that the scene where Madeleine, runs up the church tower steps, with 'Scottie' running after her?

In the documentary extras it seems you, (Robert) James, and the mixers was enjoying listening too the playbacks of the Foley track.

10502322_10152581551940149_5490834779032222226_n.jpg

In the video you commented to the one of the mixers, about,

RAH: "how are the surrounds at the moment"?
Mixer: "How high".

10499598_10152581547065149_5073625525688951712_o.jpg

Help! My Vertgo, is hanging by a thin line!

Chapter 20, "THE TOWER" I don't find the Foley to be OTT that much. The score on stage left/right higher than the centre mix and I can see the levels on the SDDS as well as hearing it.

When running up the steps with each now and then between the Foley footsteps, that I can feel and the score that hits a few bass-mid notes that are pressing on me.

The last few seconds as Madeleine, runs though the tower hatch, its like a car engine changing gears and revving up a few notches that presses on my body.

Ohh! Blimey the body being tossed off the tower, the door above slamming down I feel that on my body with impcat that gives me a jolt follwed by the body slamming on the roof below (I rocked back in the rocker seat).

The surrounds are few db below the stage left/right centre and surrounds are about same level. No LFE.1 content on this release was that intended? As AVR says 5.1 yet its never present anywhere on the film. the sub bass extension LCR and surrounds sub bass and bass shakers in all x6 Irwin rockers , gives it better a presentation.

There is brief second or so where 'Scottie' calls out Madeleine, at 1:13:24 that is so faint against the score on stage left/right, as I can see two possibilities. Ether gone a bit too far on levels? Or heighten up the scenes tension factor for the audience.

When muting stage left/right I can hear a different kinder part of the score that sounds like its part of stage left/right only in mono, I hear the Foley clearer and the dialogue.

Backing up a bit to 1:12:04 there is sudden rise on the score and dialogue that seems unnatural. It happens again at 1:13:14. Was there separate stem-tracks, for all this?

Listening to German track, some scenes in chase up the tower have no 'Scottie' call outs to Madeleine.

The body fall on German is weak it doesn't have the impact slam! Also the track as whole is loud.

French, the track is softer and the Foley steps running up the tower are different. I don't have the original early laserdisc pressing to compare with.

Even the tower hatch door is different. It squeaks (rather than THUD SLAM) on the new re-mix.

Italian track, same as German.

The reverberation of the footsteps that takes bit getting used to listening to this.

Spinach track, same as German. Only softer level than the other tracks and a bit of soundtrack that sounded the tape had some damage and frequency compressed down then widened out again fuller and played on.

Another thing that bothers me and not a big deal. There is surround content, yet LCR seem to be a bit too high in level. So I lowered the levels down on the SDDS DFP-D3000 by each at -10d.00b which puts in in line with surrounds level on the SDDS LED display.

Chapter 4, Hitch, walking across the screen but Foley footsteps makes no logical sense to have footsteps only on centre channel. Would be better to have it sounding across stage left to centre and stage right.

The machine tractor sound on stage left is okay with different new sound on the surrounds in stereo. But is that sound on the surround an another machine.

Chapter 5, has some Foley footsteps with someone walking pass outside the bar from centre stage to stage right.

I'd say the mix isn't all perfect its up and down in many places on the mix that makes me feel Vertigo, dizzy.

A few minutes into chapter 5, 'Scottie' driving around following Madeleine, as nice sound with centre muted there is faint car engine sound but the score is many db above it, with some cars panning left to right across the stage.

Un-mute centre The car's engine sound presses on my body.

Chapter 2, sounds like the guy on the run is running across stage centre a bit high on the footsteps as timber is off a bit when footsteps pan to stage right, sound like, mouse feet.

Then the footsteps appear run across left surround. I think I heard this approach on THE MATRIX at the start of the film with running around corridors and across the roof, only sounded a lot better.

10484988_10152581548525149_7551507305555243563_n.jpg

The dubbing stage was using JBL speakers I believe when reading JBL brochure that I have somewhere. Was the dubbing stage THX certified at the time?

10524323_10152581551745149_2947929616500763938_n.jpg

10492523_10152581549735149_5513702970286518426_n.jpg

Was you interrupted when James, commented on the sound? Was you deeply watching the on-screen visuals to the new sound mix for anything?

10487552_10152581551590149_9024747233843719358_n.jpg

That is cool shot of the screen and looking down the church tower almost gives that Vertigo, sense of feeling.

alago197

Auditioning
Real Name
Alvaro
Robert Harris said:
Many potentially passionate and forward-thinking future archivists, especially women, drop out of the program, once they realize that they'll be required to shave their heads.Pity.RAH
talking about that, Robert, do you recall what would be the

whatsthat.png

?? it doesn't appear in the Blu-Ray, but in the 1996 restoration it last several seconds. Was left knowingly?

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Robert Harris said:
Many potentially passionate and forward-thinking future archivists, especially women, drop out of the program, once they realize that they'll be required to shave their heads.Pity.RAH
Hahaha, Mr. Harris bringing the funny today! I like it :thumbsup:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Harris said:
In Hollywood, home of the greatest make-up artists in the world? Bald caps!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched Vertigo on blu-ray last night. I've been wanting to see it since I read this thread nearly two years ago. I was stunned at the quality of the images. The picture is as beautiful as any I have seen on blu-ray, and alone is justification for the whole HD movement 7 or 8 years ago. Any quibbles are so minor as to be not worth mentioning. This is instantly among the blu-rays of classic films I will pull out to show people who are not blu-ray owners (and sadly, I know more than a few).

I watched Rear Window recently on BD, with which I was similarly impressed. Next, I'm on to North By Northwest, which I haven't seen since I watched the DVD about 6 years ago.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Coincidentally, I finally watched the Blu-ray a week ago and was very impressed. The colour and sharpness is great! It is only the last scene where things sort of fall apart a bit in terms of picture quality, but a minor quibble.Of course, beautiful as it is, it still does not compare with seeing it in 70mm when Mr. Harris did the restoration a few years back. That was memorable!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sam Favate said:
I watched Rear Window recently on BD, with which I was similarly impressed. Next, I'm on to North By Northwest, which I haven't seen since I watched the DVD about 6 years ago.
It's another VistaVision wonder, and your jaw should suitably drop while viewing. I think it's the best looking of ALL the transfers done of Hitchcock films thus far.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
alago197 said:
talking about that, Robert, do you recall what would be the

attachicon.gif
whatsthat.png

?? it doesn't appear in the Blu-Ray, but in the 1996 restoration it last several seconds. Was left knowingly?
Appears to be a hair in the gate of the optical printer c. 1957-58.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks