What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those who have read these Few Words for a bit, will know that Philip Kaufman remains one of my favorite filmmakers.

In his 1978 re-make of the Don Siegel original, that came 22 years previous, he takes the original concept and adds to it, with also a bit of reverence and dark humor along the way.

This occurrence is rare in film-making, as re-makes generally don't tend toward higher quality.

My advice, especially since MGM has supplied quality data, and extras abound, is to grab a copy of the new Scream Factory release, and donate the first Blu-ray to a friend.

A beautiful transfer from an IP, with great audio, presented via DTS-HD MA.

Be on the lookout for Kevin McCarthy, Don Siegel, Tom Luddy (Telluride Film Fest), Robert Duvall, Michael Chapman (who shot the film) and Mr. Kaufman.

I couldn't be happier with this one!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Robert, there's....something different about.... you... and this...review...

You know, I thought the same this morning when I first read it. But I went out and had a nice breakfast, ran some errands, came back, took a well deserved nap, and honestly, I have to wonder what all the fuss was about.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I need to pick this one up. I have the MGM release, but this is one of my favorites, so I'll have to double dip. Just like American Werewolf, The Thing, etc.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I saw this at a West End cinema in 1978 and I remember the digital surround sound making an impression, I remember turning around to see where the strange noises were coming from! All my local theaters had mono sound systems so the only time I experienced stereo sound was at the more expensive West End cinemas. Dario Argento's Suspiria also made good use of surrounds and helped make that film an unsettling and memorable theatrical experience too. Hey I was young these things stay with you [jumps up] sorry I thought I heard something. ;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Digital sound 1978?
I think they mean Dolby Stereo (TM) ..
Invasion-poster-1.jpg

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks