What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goldeneye -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think the sad reality is that if a new transfer was going to be used for GoldenEye anytime in the near future, it would have been for this new set and single. Since they're using the same old one, I think that's going to be it for a while at least. Certainly until at least Bond 25 and the next whole set of re-releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
JohnMor said:
I think the sad reality is that if a new transfer was going to be used for GoldenEye anytime in the near future, it would have been for this new set and single. Since they're using the same old one, I think that's going to be it for a while at least. Certainly until at least Bond 25 and the next whole set of re-releases.
MGM usually double dips before doing significant reissues. We are seeing the double dip of the bond 50 set this time.
They did this with se DVD, ue DVD and now blu ray.
For bond 25 I think we will see new versions and transfers.

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
No, this time is not the double dip, they release Goldeneye on Blu-ray:

-as a part from the 50 years of Jamed Bond collection

-as a single amaray

-as a play.com Steelbook

-as part of the complete 50 years of James Bond collection(with Skyfall)

-as part from some Pierce Brosnan Collections

-as a new single amaray (with horrible ugly cover)

-as part of the new Bosnan Collection

-as part from the new box set

-maybe as a new Steelbook, matching to the title wave

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Those are merely re-packages. They all use essentially the same disc. We're not going to see a new remaster of this until at least Bond 25. It's already too late for this year, and I'm quite sure they won't spend money to just redo GoldenEye by itself before the next big Bond set push.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
JohnMor said:
Those are merely re-packages. They all use essentially the same disc. We're not going to see a new remaster of this until at least Bond 25. It's already too late for this year, and I'm quite sure they won't spend money to just redo GoldenEye by itself efore the next big Bond set push.
agreed. It's a bummer that they are not doing new transfers this time.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Saw what must have been the 4K DCP of Goldeneye a few days ago. It looks better than I've ever seen it. Hope it and the rest of the new 4K Bond masters get released on blu-ray soon. Though I'm pretty sure The Spy Who Loved Me blu-ray must be from one of those new masters.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Worth said:
Saw what must have been the 4K DCP of Goldeneye a few days ago. It looks better than I've ever seen it. Hope it and the rest of the new 4K Bond masters get released on blu-ray soon. Though I'm pretty sure The Spy Who Loved Me blu-ray must be from one of those new masters.
Cool. Thanks for the post and review!!

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Worth said:
If it had a healthy layer of grain then it would either be a new scan or the higher res Lowry master that appeared on HDTV. (Which had the altered colors and cropping...but absolutely obliterates the Blu-ray.) I'd be more inclined to hope it was a new scan.

Was this a theatrical screening? I'd be inclined to know how it sounded. All the Brosnans sounded great theatrically and have never quite matched up to my memories in the home.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was a theatrical screening. It wasn't the zoomed-in Lowry transfer (there were no Lowry credits at the end and it opened with the new MGM logo) and it certainly wasn't the blu-ray transfer.

There was a very thin layer of grain for most of it, but it did occasionally spike during some shots. I wouldn't expect a fairly large budget production from the mid-90s to be very grainy, anyway. It looked very natural, without either the overly smooth or excessively sharp look that suggests digital tampering. I saw this on opening night 20 years ago, and a few times theatrically in the intervening years, and while I don't claim to remember exactly how it looked, this just looked "right" to me. The sound was excellent, but I'm not really much of a sound guy, so I leave that evaluation to others.

I think new DCPs of the entire series must have been made available recently, because theatrical screenings have been popping up everywhere in the last few weeks.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Watched this one to gut on blu Ray. Great film. I remember being so thrilled when it was released in theaters.
The vintage tv spots on the blu Ray are very fun too. The best bond film ever! Lol

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just watched the Blu-ray on my projector. I had never watched the disc on my screen, and I don't think on the TV either. It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen but pretty ugly at parts. Here's hoping to a better disc one day.

DataMat8794

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Burns
By no means is bluray awful IMO. Still best version of film on the market IMO although I do think the movie has been altered a bit too much from what it actually looked like when released back in 90s, which I'm guessing is DNR being overused.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
By no means is bluray awful IMO. Still best version of film on the market IMO although I do think the movie has been altered a bit too much from what it actually looked like when released back in 90s, which I'm guessing is DNR being overused.
The best version is the 4k stream available from several retailers. Picture wise it's the best the movie has looked on video. However, two dissolves have been replaced with hard cuts. Hopefully an eventual UHD disc has this transfer with the dissolves restored.

Jetman

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
The best version is the 4k stream available from several retailers. Picture wise it's the best the movie has looked on video. However, two dissolves have been replaced with hard cuts. Hopefully an eventual UHD disc has this transfer with the dissolves restored.
Interesting, is it the case for many films that the best quality version is a stream? I only own one 4k disc at this point and probably won't be buying many movies on hard copy since streaming services will upgrade the versions offered eventually.

But I do have a little regret over not having the highest quality disc version available. I just can't afford to buy a bunch of movies again like I did in the DVD era.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
is it the case for many films that the best quality version is a stream?
That's a whole can of worms. In the case of the Bond films, the 4K UHD versions seem to have addressed many of the issues that were present on the Blu-rays. Credits are no longer pillarboxed and GoldenEye has a proper transfer. That's not to say everything is perfect. Thunderball went back to the "new" 5.1 track created in 2006 and it's atrocious. The Blu-ray uses the much more accurate 5.1 track created in the 90s.

If you have Amazon Prime you can watch the 4K UHD transfer of GoldenEye right now! LINK

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Interesting, is it the case for many films that the best quality version is a stream?

GoldenEye is a very convoluted story. Lowry Digital scanned the film in 4K for the Ultimate Edition DVD collection, but their master was zoomed in a little and missing picture from all four sides of the frame. This was noticeable enough that fans complained. When it came time for the Blu-rays, MGM and/or Fox pulled an even older DVD master off the shelf. It had correct framing, but a heavily DNR'ed and edge-enhanced transfer. The 4K streaming version appears to be an all-new master.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
GoldenEye is a very convoluted story. Lowry Digital scanned the film in 4K for the Ultimate Edition DVD collection, but their master was zoomed in a little and missing picture from all four sides of the frame. This was noticeable enough that fans complained. When it came time for the Blu-rays, MGM and/or Fox pulled an even older DVD master off the shelf. It had correct framing, but a heavily DNR'ed and edge-enhanced transfer. The 4K streaming version appears to be an all-new master.
I'll have to watch the Blu-ray disc of GoldenEye again because I didn't notice that it was from a DVD master. (GoldenEye is one of the few James Bond films that I revisit periodically)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks