What's new

8 Abbott & Costello Films Coming! (2/10/04) (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Peter
A & C go to Mars was made by Universal and since it was one of their later films it will probably be in volume 4.

The 8 non-Universal films are:

1.) Rio Rita (MGM-Owned by Warner)
2.) Lost in a Harem (MGM-Owned by Warner)
3.) A & C go to Hollywood (MGM-Owned by Warner)
4.) The Noose Hangs High (Warner)
5.) Africa Screams (Public Domain)
6.) Jack and the Beanstock (Warner-now Public Domain)
7.) A & C meet Captain Kidd (Warner-now Public Domain)
8.) Dance with me Henry (Warner)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wow, this is a must for me. Besides Laurel and Hardy, this is my favorite comedy team going.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ron, count me among those who will echo that this set is highly worthy of purchase, and yes - the three best would be BUCK PRIVATES, HOLD THAT GHOST and WHO DONE IT?

R. Kay

Second Unit
I still cant believe that 8 movies are coming on 1 set!

That's 2 bucks a movie from the cheapest etailer (dvdsoon).

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Update - now there is a volume 2 available for pre-order. This is what is included in the next best of A&C.
Includes:
Hit The Ice
In Society
Here Come The Co-Eds
The Naughty Nineties
Little Giant
The Time Of Their Lives
Buck Privates Comes Home
The Wistful Widow Of Wagon Gap
Abbott andiCostello Meet Jerry Seinfeld

Now, I know that the last one couldn't possibly be one of their films but I also know that A&C inspired Jerry Seinfeld quite a bit for his shows.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I just got the set (Vol. 1) and must reiterate what a bargain it is. I was surprised to find that the set does have some extras, even if small: Each film has production notes and, except for Pardon My Sarong, a trailer. I can't fairly judge image quality on my work PC, but the prints generally look fine. There are two films on each side of the two discs, so compression problems should be minimal.

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Just recieved an email from Deep Discount DVD that my A&C volume #1 was shipped out on 2/3/04. Should have it before the release date of 2/10/04.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good news about the quality. I can't wait for mine. I find it funny that Universal are calling this the Best of Abbott and Costello when they are releasing every film they have except for It Ain't Hay which will be 27 of their 36 films so I think The Abbott and Costello Collection would have been a better choice. Just an observation and not a complaint. Bring em on.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Hopefully I'm not too late to join the party. I could not find this set anywhere today on DDD, but I probably didn't use the right search term. Can somebody please tell me how they have it listed?

Thanks
Steve K.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
That made it easy, Jay; thanks. One set ordered.

Thanks again for the link.

Steve K.

Terry H

Second Unit
Hopefully I'm not too late to join the party. I could not find this set anywhere today on DDD, but I probably didn't use the right search term. Can somebody please tell me how they have it listed?
I couldn't find it and emailed them. Their CSR emailed back informing me they didn't carry it! In other words, he couldn't find it either. Pitiful. They sure aren't doing themselves any favors with these wacky listings.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Chris
I really like "It Ain't Hay" too and have been wishing for an official release since the 80's. I was in the Abbott and Costello fan club and I e-mailed Chris Costello(Daughter of Lou Costello) about this title about 4 years ago and she said that it was still tied up in a rights issue with the Damon Runyan estate (He wrote the story that its based on). She said thats she could say on it so the exact reason is not publicly known to my knowledge. Apparently since its not being released it still has not been cleared up. I have read on other sites that this is still the case. I think HTF's Joe Lozo mentioned he spoke to Chris recently and confirmed this. Hopefully this can be cleared up before the 4th and final volume of Universals series is released so it can be included.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Terry - For some reason, they listed abbreviated Abbot and Costello to A&C, so it would not show up if you did a search using Abbot & Costello. But using the link that Jay provided above will take you right to it. I believe the current price is around $19.50. Not too bad for 8 movies.

Steve K.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think the rights problem for IT AIN'T HAY only deals with video. Sometime back, the Comedy Channel ran this film. It was a nice remastered version. Since they did it in a two hour slot, it was uncut, but I was always hoping it would show up on AMC before they went south.I got out the commercials, but that damn Comedy Channel logo remains frozen in the lower right corner!
Maybe they could do a big documentary on their last disc set. I understand Bud and Lou had outtakes from all their films, and with some living coworkers and all the home movies the families have, that would be swell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks