What's new

8 Abbott & Costello Films Coming! (2/10/04) (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Maybe slightly off topic but.
Besides looking very much forward to this set... What do you all think of the Meets Frankenstein disk? I've always loved the movie and was curious as to thw quality of the transfer/audio on this disk? Thanks...

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
This is fantastic news! I live in New York and they used to air an Abbott & Costello movie every Sunday morning at 11am on Channel 11 when I was a kid. I really loved them.

I hope they eventually release the following A&C movies in a future volume:

1) The Time of their Lives
2) A&C meets The Killer
3) A&C meets The Invisible Man
4) A&C meets Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
5) A&C meets Captain Kidd

There's plenty more. It would also be nice if they included the rare comedy sketch "A&C Meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon" on one of the DVDs. From my understanding, it was during the A&C show that the creature made its first appearance (the classic "Creature From the Black Lagoon" movie wasn't released to the theaters until about a month or 2 after the A&C show sketch).

ChrisBEA, I have the A&C meets Frankenstein DVD and the video quality is excellent as is the audio. There's also a nice documentary on it plus an informative commentary track by a film historian.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Chris,

One word: outstanding! Much like the Universal horror doubles (or at least the two discs I’ve seen, now OOP), ... Meet Frankenstein just looks fantastic, a big step up from the poor quality of elements seen in several of the major first wave of horror titles from the studio (now also OOP). Very highly recommended, both for its image/audio quality and its fine supplemental package, which includes (as Joey mentioned) a documentary and an even better (in my view) commentary track. Unfortunately, the only other Abbott and Costello Meet ... film on disc, Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy, while offering good PQ (I don’t recall the image quality as quite up to that of ... Meet Frankenstein, but the nature of the photography differs quite a bit between the pictures, and I haven’t A/Bd them -- it may just be that one impressed me more than the other, offering a greater sense of mood), has neither a documentary nor commentary (I believe the doc on the ... Meet Frankenstein disc covers the entire series of A&C monster films, though, if memory serves). I’d still recommend both -- and ... Meet Frankenstein is nothing less than stellar.

The only caveat: if rumors (can anyone yet confirm this?) that further A&C product will follow the eight-film boxed set in February, I’d have to wonder if Universal might be planning some kind of A&C Monsters Box, containing all of their horror comedies. If so, they might stick Frankenstein and Mummy in there, meaning that anyone who wanted the others would have to repurchase these along with them (none of the eight in the February box seem to be scheduled for individual release, and given the low expected price of that set, this seems just fine to me). So such a Monster Box, if it comes to pass, might be the most cost-effective way to buy these two titles. That said, there’s no telling if it will come to pass, nor whether the supplements found on the current ... Meet Frankenstein disc would be duplicated, so ... I’d say pick 'em up. I was surprised and happy when they remained in print, despite the moratorium placed on the films they spoof. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eh ... that was more than one word, wasn’t it? :D

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Besides looking very much forward to this set... What do you all think of the Meets Frankenstein disk? I've always loved the movie and was curious as to thw quality of the transfer/audio on this disk? Thanks...
The video transfer of Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein is very good considering that the movie is over 50 yrs old. The audio quality is also very good.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks everybody, think I'll break down buy it. (I was looking for something to add to my order of Naked Lunch:D )
ACMF is my favorite AC movie so far, I'll have to pick up this set too!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes this set is the best deal I've seen and a dream come true. I hope the rest of Universals Abbott and Costello films will follow shortly. They own 28 of their 36 films.
Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd is not one of them so they won't be releasing this film.

Jeffrey
Do you know what was meant by most of the Universal films being released. They released all their films on VHS except for "It ain't Hay". Which was supposedly tangled up in rights issues. It has never had a legit release on home video and I was hoping it would be included on DVD with these releases but maybe not.

Ron
I feel that Abbott and Costello were at their best when they were fresh in their early films from 1940-1945. Although I will watch anything with them in it. The set above is for 8 films and this is all their Universal films from 1940-1942. There isn't a bad film in this set. Definately highly recommended.

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Yep, "It Ain't Hay" unfortunately seems to still be mired in rights issues....But it's prolly the weakest of their early efforts (IMHO), so not a big loss.

Jeffrey

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey
I agree of all their early films it is probably the weakest but its still good and its the only one I haven't seen in a long time. Plus being a big fan I have to have them all. Hopefully this can get cleared up soon. This has been going on for at least 15 years now.

Terry H

Second Unit
This "set" is now available for preorder - $25 MSRP. The price is absolutely amazing. However, it appears they are squeezing eight movies onto two disks. I suppose it is barely possible if they are barebones and double sided disks. Thoughts about quality issues? Should I be concerned?

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Good question about the quality issue. 8 movies, 4 per disc (each movie having at most a 90 minute runtime), I'm also wondering if the video image may suffer a little in order for them to fit the 4 films on each disc.

Also, I have a family member who is hard of hearing. Any idea if the films will be closed-captioned or have a subtitle option?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I doubt quality will suffer because the runtime for each side of the disc will be 3 hours or a little less. Many long movies of this length have been released before with multiple audio tracks and extras and did not suffer. Plus these films are mono and black and white so that will take up less room also. I think we are getting a bargain because they are having to press fewer disc but I don't think it is cramming they are just effectively using available space.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I attended a screening yesterday of Hold That Ghost at the Loews Jersey in Jersey City, N.J.

The print was a new remastered one direct from Universal which presumably will be the one that shows up on this set in February. It looked and sounded fantastic!

On hand was Lou's youngest daughter, Chris Costello, who told stories about her dad and answered questions from the audience.I spoke to her assistant and he said that ALL the Abbott & Costello films will be on DVD by the end of 2004! I hope that is true.

Regarding the potential quality of the DVD's, ONE film per layer should look fine, so I am not concerened.

IMO, Abbott & Costello are the BEST comedy team ever. Can't wait to spin these discs!:b

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
IMO, Abbott & Costello are the BEST comedy team ever. Can't wait to spin these discs!

I gotta agree with you Tino. I also hope your right about all their films coming to DVD in 2004 although I suspect they meant all 28 Universal films but that would include "It Ain't Hay" and that would be great news. There are 8 other Abbott and Costello films:
1.) Abbott and Costello in Hollywood
2.) Rio Rita
3.) Lost in a Harem
4.) The Noose Hangs High
5.) Dance with me Henry
These are all owned by Warner

Plus the following which are Public Domain:
1.) Africa Screams
2.) Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd
3.) Jack and the Beanstalk

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I compared the DVD, LD box set and the LD single of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein."

The LD single is by far a better print. Much more detail in the dark areas, especially the opening animated sequence.

The DVD looks like a port over from the LD box set.

Too bad they couldn't give the outtakes on the DVD a little more time to clean them up...they were blurry!

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Saw this upcoming set for less than $20 shipped at Deep Discount. Judging from the stock # it would appear to be a release from Universal containing EIGHT of the duo's films (presumably not the public domain junk). If so, that's a fantastic price if you're a fan.

Anyone know which eight films are in this set, or have a link to a better description?

I always loved the A&C movies growing up, and wouldn't mind this set (and future ones) if the prints are even reasonably good.

There's also a Ma & Pa Kettle set (4 films, I think) coming up too.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA024682

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is an incredible deal. Its a 2 disc set. With 2 movies on each side of a double sided disc but with no extras, black and white, mono the compression should be fine.
This set will contain the 1st 8 of their Universal movies:

1.) One night in the Tropics
2.) Buck Privates
3.) In the Navy
4.) Hold That Ghost
5.) Keep em' Flying
6.) Ride em' Cowboy
7.) Pardon my Sarong
8.) Who Done It

The plan is for Universal to release all 28 of their A & C films this way. Probably 4 volumes. They made 36 feature films altogether. The other 8 films are held by other studios or public domain. This is an incredible deal and the
1st set contains some of their best films.
The Ma and Pa Kettle set will contain the 1st 4 films in the set with more planned.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The one Universal A & C title that won't be released is IT AIN'T HAY, which is tied up in legal limbo due to the underlying story (a Damon Runyon tale). I don't believe it was ever released on cassette or LD, either.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Your correct Peter its never had a legit home video release and I have been hoping that maybe it is finally cleared up and will be released. I've been waiting since 1992 when they finished the VHS releases except for this one. You would think they would have made some progress by now.
It would be on volume 2 if it is to be released so we should know soon.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
For the uninformed (like me): what exactly is the holdup of "It Ain't Hay". I know there is a dispute with the Runyan estate, but why is the estate refusing to allow this to be released.

I'll be picking up both this set and the Kettle set. However, I'm still waiting for Hallmark/Artisan :angry: to do decent releases of the Laurel and Hardy sound films, which in my opinion are far superior to anything A&C did.

(Having said that, I'm still a fan of A&C; their best work is marvelous, and their TV show one of the best that the '50s had to offer).

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Does anyone have a listing of which movies were not for Universal? My personal favorite is "A&C Go To Mars", which I believe was from Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks