What's new
World Wide Stereo

7x16 room for ht? (1 Viewer)

Eric Tobias

Agent
I know this is not the proper size but how do you think a 7x16 room with a 10 ft ceiling would be for a projector home theater? The 16 ft length could be shortened. I know it would be tight. I could probably do 2 rows of 2 HT chairs or a loveseat against a wall would work. I figure the seating needs to be at least 10-12 ft from a large screen. The door would be in the middle of one of the long walls

If you think it would be a bad idea please say so and why.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
While there's no single "proper" size for a room I think you are looking at pretty cramped quarters at only 7' wide. Those dimensions as a whole are really quite bizarre - very long and narrow with an unusually high ceiling. What is it being used for now? The door placement will challenge seating location as well.

Consider that the minimum width of a hallway is 3'. You don't want to be having walkways much less than that or you will need to shimmy, which will exacerbate the feeling of close quarters. And that's per side if you want access to the seating both ways. I don't see how you could comfortably fit two seats across the width of that room and still allow for comfortable passage. And remember that there will be surround speakers poking out as well (although in this space in walls would probably be a better solution).

Seating against a rear or side wall is always a challenge as that is where every room mode converges. Sound would be difficult to manage here.

This will be an interesting thread to see different ideas as to how you might approach this. It is a difficult room. Are you dead set on a projector? Have you considered a smaller screen, using a plasma display, facing a seating area across the short dimension? you could accommodate a sectional in a corner. With a 6' or so viewing distance even a relatively small plasma would have fairly dramatic scale. The other half of the room could be a "lobby" area with a wet bar, casual seating or even bar stool lounge seating. You enter from the middle of the room and can go one way to grab a drink or the other to watch a flick. The proper choice in paint color and decoration could change the perception of the room from being long and narrow.

Just throwing out ideas here but I can't think of a solution otherwise.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine a rougher diagram but off the top of my head here's the basic idea. Not to scale but should do the trick.

An incredibly valuable exercise is to grab some graph paper. Draw out the room to scale. Then draw and cutout furniture pieces to the same scale. Move them around the "room" to get a feel for how it all fits together. You may even be able to find furniture templates already available online. Just print then draw the room to the same scale. You will be amazed at how quickly you use up the space.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Boy oh boy is that a challenge. Im just sitting here thinking my arm span is about 6.5 ft and Im not a big guy. I think your going to have to go with some kind of mini system for speakers. Ill try to punch something out in visio and see what I can come up with. Im also curious as to what the room is being used for now. Im guessing a walk in closet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks