What's new

$500 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Putting together systems for two friends at the same time, and it's been about 18 months since I've looked at this segment of the market.

My first thoughts are Onkyo 602 or Denon AVR-1905. Denon seems to win on component video switching (100Mhz vs. 50Mhz), but Onkyo has the edge on power (85 wts vs. 75). Denon.

Reading from an online site, the Denon desricption says it does 'component video conversion'; can anybody explain this to me, as it sounds like any input, either composite or s-video gets upconverted so you only need one set of component cables running to the TV, which might be a benefit for these two guys.

Any brands or models that I'm overlooking? Thoughts, or hates about these two models?

Thanks.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Pioneer 1014. It does component up-conversion from composite and s-video. THX processing. Good power. You can use the "surround" channels to bi-amp 2 speakers (if your speakers support it). MCACC (automatic setup of speakers, distances, basic EQ..)

A bargain at it's street price of $499 or so.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Doug, you're right about component video conversion. It will convert everything to component. I wouldn't sweat the difference in power between the Denon and the Onkyo. Denon receivers often hold up to their power specs (e.g., the 2805 just received a very favorable review from Sound and Vision), while Onkyo has had more of a habit in the past of exaggerating their numbers in multi-channel output. Also, you only need 50 MHz for high-def switching, so anything higher than that shouldn't matter.

You might also consider the NAD 743, which you could probably pick up for less than $550.

James Phung

Second Unit
I've got the 1014 and it is a pretty damn good receiver for $450. Although it only has a 40mhz component bandwidth, its more than enough for HDTV as tests have shown 1080i and 720 need no more than 37mhz. I've heard people seeing very little difference with a 22mhz bandwidth. You'll probably need 100mhz for 1080p sources when hddvd/bluray comes out, but by then, you probably shouldn't be using component anyway with hdmi and dvi seeming more ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks